Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Summer 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not severe but a couple of fairly hefty storms today. Might see storms continuing in the N and NW for a time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance of sparks from that shower heading in my direction Galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

It doesn't look like it, most of the energy seems to be centering over the N and NW into tomorrow where there is potential for a few storms as the Lp rotates over and then off the NE (EDIT).

AROME and the WRF showing a bit of instability in the SE tomorrow afternoon, enough to get a few sparks??

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 owen3371

Magilligan co.derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Heavy showers and some thunderstorms are likely to develop during today. Some places will miss these, but where they do occur, 15-25 mm of rain could fall within an hour, with one or two places perhaps seeing as much as 40 mm in a few hours. Hail and lightning may be additional hazards.

11am - 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just had a funnel develop over Lough ree. Was driving so couldn't pull in to video but got to watch it for a minute while I drove. Dissipated by the time I did pull in. It will be just after that rain shower passing over athlone if anyone on the other side of the river gets a chance to be looking skywards.

Potential tomorrow during the afternoon/ early evening as a trough transits the country with quite a cold upper pool and some Deep layer shear aiding instability. Temps only getting up to a modest 18C or so and cooler in parts. Met Eireann saying potential in the midlands and East. Models would also suggest along southern counties and the SE and might see decent activity along the convergence zones along the coast as that afternoon goes on.

Could see some activity towards Dublin later in the afternoon or early evening.

AROME highlighting the S , SE and E more especially maturing nearer the coasts I think, will see .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Narrowly avoided an absolutely monsoonal shower in Cork City, some amount of surface weather after it and it only lasted 5-10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Yellow warning now for Southern counties til tonight for Thunderstorms ⛈️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clap of thunder here in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A flash followed by a huge bang of thunder in Celbridge just now. It's turned so dark in past half hour we had to turn the lights on. Heavy rain the past 15 minutes.

Thunder and Lightning in Kildare again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'm in Clondalkin, and can see the sky to the west is really dark.

There has been very recent lightning south of Dublin, so perhaps we're due thunder here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Just to add, there was a rumble not long after the post above.

Cool skies this evening in Kildare

Some activity but not a lot, the rain will never let you down though 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I had a rare sighting of sunshine this afternoon in Causeway. The sense of warmth ,the memories it brought flooding back as I left that moment and saw the fields under water at the old abbey in Abbeydorney.

4 weeks of rain. Make it stop.😱

A few thunderstorms possible today, Southern half, more so the S and SE perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like a line of convection forming on the Tip Waterford border and to either side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Looking out the window at it now. Just waiting for the sparks to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Meteologix registering strikes near Cappoquin

Potential for thunderstorms in the NW, N, NE tomorrow evening/ night.

North Midlands might also see some thunderstorm potential this evening along with Northern counties, warm humid airmass, decent Dp's and a fair bit of Deep Layer Shear available, messy though but maybe a bit of forcing will pop a few off. Will see.

Some strikes Armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not related to Irish weather, but I had the pleasure of driving head first into this the other day in New York! It was intense to say the least! 5 stars, would do again lol

• Advertisement

A couple of flashes in the NE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement