Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Summer 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We are missing out again further west. Not even a rumble of thunder to be heard. Maybe tomorrow we might have more luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

Nice few strikes from Portlaoise/Portarlington cell ongoing

Gone to orange for 3 lucky counties

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Portweather

Absolute biblical rain in portarlington, fork lightning all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Few rumbles over Galway city east the last hour. Very heavy rain accompanying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Biblical in Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kildare/Offaly cells look savage from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Thunder and lightning in Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Thats t the kildare cell taken from templeogue

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

Bright, warm and sunny in North West Connemara, surrounded by the mating calls of competing lawn mowers!

A few promising deluges this morning but I'm guessing the batteries had lost their charge by the time anything reached us...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Portweather

My count today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Biblical rain in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice high tops about , this one taken from Westport town about 7.45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

While we are getting a lot of thunderstorms this Summer, Cork and the South Coast in general is missing out. The onshore wind I guess.

The good old Biscay low moving North is the king, and its been largely missing over the last 20 years. A common feature years ago for whatever reason has vanished!

Some lighting evident again tonight to our Southwest, but background conditions not as favourable as last night...

There was no shortage of rain in Mid to North Tipp today. I would say it was easily the wettest day of the year in these parts. CrowdedHouse station in Roscrea measured 36 mm this morning alone, and there was further thunderstorm rainfall this afternoon and evening. It could easily have exceeded 50 mm for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

This is what that cell viewed from Templeogue above dumped in Trim.

This was just the start ,after this video grab we had continuous fork lightning for 30 minutes, with two direct hits on the town , one of which wobbled the window panes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Currently 45.8 mm It seems very high and I wasn't around to witness it but I could see from the radar that a narrow band of very heavy rain passed directly over between about 6 to 7:30 AM

Must check with the neighbours when I get back. I've no reason to suspect the AWS is operating incorrectly.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Complex area of Lp sending in troughs and occluded fronts in over Ireland with high Theta E readings, certain amount of DLS more favouring the E and SE, LLS with convergence zones again tomorrow aiding convection, maybe a messier profile, temps getting up to the high teens / low 20's with Dp's getting up to a very respectable 15 to 16C aiding surface CAPE so feeling that bit humid, the more sunshine getting through the better chance of convection. Bit of a SW to NE profile up through the middle of the country again to where the most convection leading to thunderstorms might take place.

Maybe some thunderstorm activity along the SE coasts tomorrow morning under a lot of DLS and a tongue of High Theta W

Most thunderstorm in the afternoon as peak surface heating gets going.

Another tongue of high high Theta E approaching the SW later Monday night might produce some thunderstorms.

Some high rainfall totals ( already started here in Kerry from the next band which should continue through the night as it moves up the country), PWAT readings in fact higher tomorrow so plenty of moisture in the atmosphere, again where convection matures and produces showers or thunderstorms face a risk of some localized flooding. Upper cold pool tomorrow not as cool as today so lessens the risk of hail but still present although maybe smaller and wetter.

Could see some warnings out again tomorrow for thunderstorms and for rainfall.

Serious rain here in Mid Tipp over the last hour. It has just eased now. It was just as heavy as yesterdays rain. I was surprised there was no sparks. No sparks anywhere so far, although another thundery day is likely with a warning issued

• Advertisement

Todays warning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Woken up by an extremely heavy shower during the night - around 3am I think it was. So loud!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tropical rain atm in Greystones. Rain rate of 98.4mm/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pouring down in Kildare and V Dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Caught some mammatus on the phone camera yesterday evening before we had a brief TS, serious heat in the sun when the sky did clear.

They came out with better definition on the proper camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Met.ie no warnings for the east yet loughrea co galway have lightning for 3pm to 8pm. Waterford has no lightning but as you go further up the country there is lightning. Hard to know what is happening today.

Post edited by spookwoman on

Limerick and Clare added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Reposting this warning to include the commentary with it.

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Many places will miss the worst of these, but where they do occur, heavy rain, frequent lightning and some hail is possible. A few places could see 20-30 mm of rain in 1 hour with a small chance of 40-60 mm in 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Those automated forecasts for lightning are just guess work, almost never come through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like thinks kicking off/a few strikes west of Limerick city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement