Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Summer 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Biblical rain in athlone for the last 40 minutes with thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

First rap of the day, near Thurles

Disappointing day so far, plenty of heavy showers, but just the one rap to show for it. A day of very few strikes around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not much Solar heating going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Getting late in the day for Dublin. Not much heat out there or breaks in the cloud.

• Advertisement

5pm reports, Oak Park violent shower, unusual report, haven’t seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Never seen it before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Also alot of stations have different wind directions which is just as weird

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Just up the road from Oak Park and it was indeed a violent shower, over 10mm of rain in less than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Some rights downpours today, difficult to see cars in front at times because they didn't turn their full lights on. Few of us turned on our rear fogs to help with visibility. Lots of surface water on the roads.

• Advertisement

Some strikes in Eastern Ulster this afternoon.

Severe thunderstorms possible across parts of Europe today. SW Germany under a red thunderstorm warning. Neighbouring areas of France and Switzerland under an orange warning. Very hot as well. 38c in Lyon 3pm local time.

Here’s the orange thunderstorm warning from the French met

These thunderstorms can be accompanied by:

- very strong gusts of wind of up to 100 to 130 km/h, very locally more;

- heavy hail, with a risk of large hailstones (2 to 5cm in diameter or more);

- 20 to 40mm or even 50mm in less than 30 minutes or 1 hour;

- intense electrical activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes 5 departments on red alert in Eastern France from 6pm local time due to threat of violent storms. I’ve seen some of the destruction of roofs and cars here on the news from the massive hailstones that fall. Orange heatwave warning in my department, it was 26c at 2am last night.

Omg that's warm even for France, are you there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes although I’m happy not to be under the area impacted by those severe storms. The orange warning continues principally for night time temperatures which is pretty strange!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big heavy showers here in Tralee, didn't expect them to be this heavy, might get a few rumbles in the SW and NE today. Sitting in the office with jacket on..frozen 😀...shutting the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’ve noticed on the radar that there some heavy thundery showers around in Northern Ireland this afternoon, I think that merits an ‘Orange’ warning for the day that’s in it!

Yes very strange indeed for overnight lows , bring the heat back home with you please 🙏 this weather is getting me so so down

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing severe thunderstorm potential tomorrow as the center of the Lp moves from the S to the N /NE . Showing high levels of Low and Deep Layer Shear, high lapse rates, Dp in the mid teens, lots of vorticity and there is a pronounced core of warm temperature wrapped up in the system it would appear giving a high Theta W tongue of warm air advecting over the country especially parts of Munster and Leinster where for now thunderstorm potential looks the most likely especially Leinster with the current timing of the most severe storms in the mid afternoon perhaps.

Models have different timing, AROME showing the SE getting potential tomorrow evening too. Other models showing potential running up through the midlands in to Northern counties along with the ECM.

Usually when the ECM is showing such parameters like severe storm potential it is often right.

Soundings showing CAPE almost reaching 1000 j/kg in places.

KO index -9 which is indicative of very active.

High PWAT readings of over 26mm so potential for very heavy flooding rain in storms if they occur not to mind the fact that the triple point possibly transits the country or very close by.

Funnels and tornadic activity must be quite possible especially with the low cloud base and high shear and vorticity levels in the deepening system.

Deepening Lp system bound to give squally downdraughts if embedded storms occur but the stronger winds are offshore so just breezy and blustery overland in the main.

The rain accumulation charts have been shifting around a bit and have a wide variation of where will get the most rainfall. I think Met Eireann hinted to keep an eye on the warnings, wouldn't take much more to see Orange warnings for rainfall. The models wouldn't all take into account thunderstorms, impossible really to pinpoint locations but I reckon some areas could easily get 50mm+ in less than 24hrs if they got under an active storm when you add up all the other rainfall. Has the look of being potentially severe for local flooding in some areas, could get extra warnings show up in the morning/ early afternoon.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of recent strikes in Tipperary.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like decent little storm now between Kilkenny and Carlow.

• Advertisement

Few rumbles of thunder here now in South Kildare.

Edit: Directly overhead now, absolutely torrential rain and near constant thunder.

Warning issued

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy thunderstorms locally with lightning.

Valid: 17:35 Friday 14/07/2023 to 22:00 Friday 14/07/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Frequent thunder in Kildare now

Over 10mm fell in less than 10 minutes here, there was probably more as I'm pretty sure the gauge was overflowing it was that heavy, driveway and around the house completely flooded.

Still rumbling away to the west and north, over 100mm for the month now after the deluges on Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Near constant thunder here in Portlaoise for the last while, not much rain though.

Sounds like it's passing by now.

Looks to be another cell developing in north Wexford/south Carlow.

Wow wasn't expecting thunder today be forecast today ,I'm not in the warning but thankfully the rain is passing over

• Registered Users Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Ah no 🙈🙈 Personally I love thunderstorms, son living with me hates them .

Blitzortung showing a recent strike around Wicklow town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

AROME was one of the main models to show this thundery area. It seems to be spot on with that. It tends to do very well with convective set-ups

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement