Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After Sales Experience with EV's

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s good with Zucar. Another online purchased so obviously covered.

Tesla are crap to deal with, particularly pre-purchase. I said that in my very first reply to you. You probably missed it.

Post purchase I’ve found them to be one of the best to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭User1998

You’ve always been able to buy online and pay for a car you haven’t seen in person, it just wasn’t common practice. The showrooms are back open but online sales are still possible

If they allow this then you have added protection. Not many allow it now. Zucar as mentioned above. Tesla.

Any others?

Call any used car dealer and offer full asking price over the phone. See how many of them say no😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Leaseplan were mentioned above. They no longer retail ex lease cars to public according to their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

THIS......

EV issues can exacerbate the problems though if the manufacturer isn't providing the dealer and end user with the correct technical support.

And the customer especially if EV newbie is left thinking that EVs "don't work" "are a scam" etc.

However I've seen atrocious situations with ICE cars too.

I take my EV to the dealers to get a stamp in the service book for the warranty.

Wouldn't even hardly trust them to go at the dashboard rattle I've got and instead learned to live with it.

Hyundai build quality isn't as good as what I was used to with Toyota.....

We've had two ICE Hyundais in the family and the quality wasn't up to Toyota standards on those either.

I'm talking 90s Toyotas here btw when I say Toyota standards.

Edit......

4 year old Ioniq with 23000 kms - dashboard rattles - and its had them for ages

20 year old Toyota with 190,000 MILES - no interior rattles.....

And they’ll do that not knowing what legal implications they’ve opened themselves to 🤣

But I agree. What about any dealer that takes a deposit over the phone. Then you call in and pay with draft. Are you covered because initial deposit was distance selling?

Oh yeah I completely agree. They probably haven’t a clue😂

I’d imagine that a lot of small dealers selling cars for under €10k would take a non refundable deposit of around €250 to cover delivery and let the customer satisfy themselves with the car in person before paying the balance. Thus excluding them from the distance sale rules?

I wouldn’t say an online deposit is covered. I think as long as you get to see and inspect the vehicle in person before paying the balance then it would be excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think the problem is somewhat exacerbated with EVs for two reasons.

First there aren't a whole lot of independent garages that can repair EVs yet. So you're at the mercy of the level of (in)competence of the main dealer garages. I also think the indy EV garages are probably a little more invested in making a good repair and growing their business

Second reason is that while EVs tend not to break down as often, when they do it tends to be fairly catastrophic. We've all had ICE cars which had some mechanical issues but you were able to keep the thing running for a while while ignoring it. However there's not a whole load of potential EV issues that you can ignore for very long

I guess the flip side of having fewer mechanical parts is that the remaining parts become more critical

Having said all that, I've never had any powertrain issues with either of the EVs I've had 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of a free loaner car dealers often have few or no loaner cars. Those that do are often intended for one day loan during a service with the hope you will like the loaner and upgrade. It's like the sales person handling routine services, they want you to look at the new models in the show rooms while you wait.

For long term faults or where parts may take weeks or months to arrive they will be very hesitant to hand you a car especially if you may drive the mileage on the clock way up. It reduces their ability to loan cars to others.

In the past I had a vehicle fault. I immediately went out and bought a Toyota Yaris for 500 euro locally and sold it 3 weeks later for 500 euro. It worked out cheaper than hiring a car.

Most dealers have issues with staff training, as most good mechanics go out on their own. Due to COVID apprenticeships there is a shortage of new mechanics and apprentices get paid 4 euro an hour (no lie). There is a 1+ year wait for apprentices to get fas training.

Add to worldwide shortage of parts for new models of cars, particularly weak parts failing on all cars sold then you have the perfect storm.

3 weeks wait for independent garages seems to be the norm now.

No dealers want to take cars back, often buyers change their mind after a few weeks ownership, and dealers look to screw them out of thousands.

I don't think any dealer or sales person is your friend. Their job is to make profit, commission and get rid of stock from the forecourt. If they think it's in their best interest they will help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Don’t think you’ll buy a roadworthy Yaris for €500 at the moment. Even bangers are making good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Horse, after spending 55k on a car I wouldn't stand for driving a sh***y Yaris. If I wanted a sh***y Yaris I would have bought that in the first place.

Never had this problem with likes of VW's Audi's or Volvo in the past.

Some of those involved warranty issues and other issues that took time. Always had a car.

Anyway sold the car, wrecked Hyundai Ireland head and have one last rant to go to Hyundai corporate, won't make a difference but at least I'll feel better. I won't darken the doorstep of a Hyundai dealer again.

3 weeks wait is not the time frame for the ICCU failure was told it "could be up to 8 weeks but at least not the 4months it was previously" that would have been 11 weeks waiting in my case potentially. Heard of a few more similar cases in Ireland now. Also loads of cars parked up in lots across the world. Not surprising there are failures new technology that enables V2L so expected some issues but how they dealt with it was what I wasn't expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

They got your dosh. They don't care now. Shout as loud as you can.

Well if my shouting convinces at least one person not to buy one we'll be even.

Ps. Do you work for Hyundai Ireland as I was getting similar condescending responses from them 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I can't appreciate this post more.

I really didn't mean my post to be condescending.

I think your experience is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

ID4... Tis grand but a bit underwhelming, but after service should be better.

Can't say I'd hold your breath, just as many tales of underwhelming service from VW

It really does seem to depend on the garage, some are better than others

Hopefully we see a few more independent EV garages popping up. The indys at least have some incentive to ensure the customers car is actually fixed, the main garages only want to sell you new cars and only care about after sales in terms of keeping the car's resale value high

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think the best solution to sort this issue would have been to have one ICCU and fuse in stock in every dealer. When there's a warranty claim that is used and then replaced by Hyundai.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be in a position to provide stock in an efficient manner at the moment and will probably take another 12-18 months to have parts readily available.

• Advertisement

No stock, in Ireland or rest of Europe made to order basis at the mo and production will be priority. Only good thing is the supplier Mobis doesn't seem to be supplying these to other mainstream OEMs yet.

I've had issues in the past with VWs but always got a loaner I don't think they have that cop out in their warranty policy.

Not just the dealer Hyundai Ireland have been terrible also.

Also you can't use independent garages until your warranty expires if you do that voids your warranty as far as I know.

Post edited by podge1979 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

My experience with 2 Dublin based Hyundai dealers has been petty awful too. Mostly with warranty related issues but servicing too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Still better than the loaner I got from Hyundai see pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

After service got even worse. So complained to Hyundai Europe just got directed back to Hyundai Ireland (bout as useful as a chocolate teapot). Found a complaint form for Hyundai worldwide it reminds you of all the required fields to be filled in but after that the submit button doesn't work 😂

Time to take a f*"kitol now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No need to tax it. You’d be waiting 6 weeks for the log book and it’ll be sold in a few more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think this is just dealers in general.

The vast majority of main dealers I've had experience of were bad. Only a handful were ok. It didn't seem to be brand specific just the culture of the specific dealer. It seems to be a general mindset within the industry.

It's likely just more apparent with EVs as the are unfamiliar with them.

Advertisement