Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHC Contract for Search and Rescue gone to Bristow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭speedbird777

Regarding sk61 iv no idea. I'd have to ask. In regards the tupe. I don't see the pilots comming out of this Well. Tech crew will be spared by there phecc registration. Paramedics are at a premium in UK and ire. And especially hems crew. Judging by they amount of vacancies in the UK our lads here should be ok. Pilots on the other hand....bristows network is vast. And with aw used all over Europe they won't struggle to get lads. Let alone our ac lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Just say CHC were awarded the contract would the DAA want them gone out of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

They might want them gone, but I'd expect CHC to have a lease on the present facilities that linked it to the continued holding of the State contract. As with most discussions in this forum, the people that know are those whose jobs entail responsibility for these issues. I doubt they post here.

That I have no idea.

I'm guessing but I'd imagine that land / hanger is leased. Dept transport probably knew it was coming to the end and daa weren't willing to renew. Bristow might also see this as an opportunity to open a big base for all its aw maintenance.

Think of the amount aw operating between ireland and West Coast UK, and whatever else in Europe. Beats having to fly all the way to Aberdeen.

Weston is a no brainer tbf. Chc should of went there in the first place imo. As a previous poster said though....the locals will be up in arms. As most people know...sar train every day / night. And there's no compromise on that. Nor, will they be told what flight path to take when on a job.

In summary, what an absolute mess. Hoping common sense prevails with retaining the crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭moonshy2022

I can’t agree that Weston is a “No brainer”. It would seem to be the exact opposite. Getting PP at Weston is going to be difficult, very difficult. They got PP for the terminal building I’d imagine because in the main it’s cosmetic. To build additional buildings and large ones at that is going to push the CCs patience especially with that work being tied in to 24/365 operation which will antagonise local communities.

As for being a main SAR tech facility, that’s Shannon’s role already and one of the reason why the King Airs will be based there too. It makes no sense to have 2 large facilities in Ireland. Also you have the UK not being part of the EU which will cause issues. That’s why so many of the surveyors don’t even land in Ireland while operating here, they simply can’t as there is too much paperwork to get a licence to do so. Imagine trying to do the paperwork for a smaller outfit to service aircraft using imported parts which are then going to be exported straight away, and the payment for that service.

• Advertisement

Shannon is chc's main base. This is a totally new operator, with a totally new regime. As for the locals, they will of course object, but needs must, its and emergency service. Residents in beaumount tried and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

The S61N's were very old but still always available, EI-SAR was the oldest in the world at 52 years. The S92 also has a new version the S92B.

It doesn't. The s92b plans were haulted in March this year. There's an s92a upgrade available.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Would Weston even offer the same weather capability to DUB ? I'm not familiar with Helicopter IFR minima rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I suspect that in poor weather they would have to divert to Dublin or Shannon for an ILS approach.

• Advertisement

Looks like they are also going outside for HEMS medics. Or is it the case the current crews be offered redundancy from CHC and take up employment with Bristow.

All crews are at least Paramedics with some being AP, They could easily go to NAS if Bristows were mad enough not to take them on.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/369119161

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CHC staff are unable to provide cover now due to stress over TUPE apparently

https://twitter.com/TomDouglas95/status/1700105450404946146

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

funny that this happens as CHC are appealing/objecting the decision to award to Bristow

No apparent about it lad. Bristow being silent is very poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Ministers set departmental strategy, they have very little to do with writing tenders and nothing to do with awarding them. The actual work of tendering for a service is entirely done by civil/public servants and the awarding is based on a scoring mechanism which is published as part of the tender. It's not a minister or any politician throwing darts at tender submissions and picking their favourite. High value tenders are routinely challenged in the High Court and the entire process publicly scrutinised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bristow Helicopters EI-HKT A189 has arrived in Ireland. Currently parked at Shannon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Much moaning in the local papers about the Weston base.

I can see why, in so far as there being a 24hr copter op there makes it much easier to justify having other facilities for 24hr, poor weather bizjet ops and I'm also sure DUB wouldn't miss some bizjets, particularly at night...

Supposed to have gone to Weston, couldnt get in, why didnt they go to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No idea, all I know is that is the first one and they are here to stay :)

• Advertisement

I believe it isnt the first either, apparently 5 new on the production line.

EI-HKT gone 'over' - actually wasn't even that near - my house at 1000ft, loud fecker. I hear the S92s a lot in another place, at similar distance and altitude and they're less, erm, guttural in their noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭prunudo

The residents around Weston will love that on a 2am rescue.

The flight path on FR24/ADSB Playback on Saturday was interesting around Athy..

Any updates regarding the current CHC staff being taking on by Bristow?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

This will be common enough in future Id imagine, Weston notorious for poor weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭prunudo

Will the callsigns transfer to the new crews or will r116 etc be retired?

• Advertisement

Advertisement