Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School resignations and recruitment problems, 2023-2024

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

some schools have subs lining up for work in them and multiple teachersgoing for interview and being disapointed others in same towns in commuter belt have full time positions unfilled. i think theres definitley a lot of picking and choosing going on in some schools with regard to teachers going for jobs or even sub work. noticed that when subbing myself a few years ago , PMEs and subs had a path bet the door looking to get subbing and placement but talking to someone in a DEIS school in the town they couldnt get anyone, so probably the academic all girls school will never find it hard to fill jobs compared the DEIS school that comes with the reputation. I would think if a survey was done in Dublin areas starting Dublin 1 /2/3 etc the likes of Loreto on the Green wont have trouble finding teachers compared to others. In fairness why wouldnt a teacher look for jobs in those type of schools first, massively different to another type of school, absolute different job completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

There's a stark enough divide between the Dublin area and the country. More teachers are from the country and girls schools in the country would be hiring former pupils a fair amount of the time or would have the option too. There might have been 10ish teachers eventually out of my year group, and that would replicated most years.

Schools in Dublin are more stratified too, the difference in an all girls convent and Deis ETB is not as stark in the country compared to the city. The job is very different in both, your completely right there, so a lot comes down to what you want from the job. I love the challenges of DEIS, there is enormous satisfaction in the job and huge variation. But its not for everyone.

I find in the city it comes down to the perception of staff a lot of the time, if a school has a reputation for being welcoming and staff being sound and it generally being well run, it will be fine. I know of a couple of localish, private schools struggling far more than us in our DEIS setting for staff because of their management. No harm in bad management being highlighted either, it is in most industries.

yeah definitley, middle class catholic girls wount be long running amok if management allows it, just i suppose they dont carry around the blatant behaviour issues or aggression that some other students from tough backgrounds will have and that can carry a poor management along for a long time. the school will still do ok off the back of good teachers and good, well reared kids going to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

To be fair, I have worked with all sectors of schoolgoers and the middle/upper middle class girls are the one demographic that I find impossible to manage. They would make Machiavelli look like a dunce in the way they can manipulate situations to their own advantage. Far more covert than a working class boy leaving a litany behind and storming out, but waaaaaay more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

@Grueller Have to second that.

• Advertisement

i suppose the only saving grace is their would seem to be a lot less of trouble rearing its head for the individual teacher day to day, but yeah when you get one going that direction its a minefield, rural all girls schools maybe less of that going on.

Advertisement