Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29, single and living at home

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

No point living out to pay another €3/400 on top of that for a room is there. Where as at home I can save that €400 extra per month ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OK, so that option you're discarding. You're also discarding the possibility of increasing your earnings. Yet you're longing to move out, but find your finances are impeding you. You've also disregarded moving abroad.

You did mention approaching your local authority and asking them about their loans and housing schemes, so why not follow up on that and make enquiries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

OP a salary of 32k at age 29 is not crap money if you are happy in the role. You are completely right in that renting is dead money despite what some people are telling you here. Paying rent is one of the reasons some people will never own their own home. It's like throwing your money away.

Have you told your parents that your goal is to buy your own home - if they are in anyway decent they will drop the 500 you are paying them monthly. Put this into savings and save everything you can for the next few years. There are houses in Meath Louth in your price range.

Don't go down house share or renting route as that will just leave you further behind in the property game.

Sorry but what it moving abroad going to do?? It’ll be running away from your problems and when coming back to Ireland I’d have to find another permanent job, finish probation and start a mortgage process with what, less cash than what I started on?!!

im not disregarding increasing my earnings , no point leaving my job that I have that I’m happy in just to get another one with good money and not like it and be miserable. Sure I have good benefits in my job now that I probably wouldn’t get anywhere else.

zYou have to think not to everyone on this forum wanted to go to college or maybe couldn’t afford it. I hated school and was not good academically so that’s one of the reasons. Just because you have a degree doesn’t mean you’ll have more money that someone that does! Happiness in a job is more important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Have you looked at renting with HAP (if you can get a place that accepts it of course) it really helps with the rent.

• Advertisement

I said you've disregarded those suggestions, I didn't actually suggest them. If those suggestions don't work for you, that's of course up to you to decide. So what about the last suggestion about contacting your local authority?

On the other hand, you're happy at home with your folks, you're happy in the job you have, why then this longing to change things that you are happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not seeing the utility in giving advice to someone living in Ireland and considering renting or buying in Ireland on the basis of property market conditions in other countries.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lindy123

Well done OP on being clear about your own values and priorities in life. You clearly are happy with your job, and have good friends and family locally. So yes, you're right - why would you leave any of that? Going abroad is not all it's cracked up to be - unless you are seeking adventure - and you certainly aren't seeking that level of change.

Yes, your salary isn't high, so maybe your aspirations of buying a house aren't too realistic right now. So you need to increase your earnings. Why not consider a second job / a Saturday job / additional hours - whatever works around your current shifts? Supplementing your income is the only thing that's going to work here, given your objections to all the other options suggested!

As a parent of kids similar age to you, I think you're paying a generous amount in to your parents - but we don't know their circumstances and if they need it. Would they be open to putting part of that money away for your future, so that you remain disciplined in handing over the cash, but they will also have an additional sum saved, for whenever you're ready to go ahead with a purchase in the future?

Be assured you probably represent a sizable cohort of young Irish people. Best of luck to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm not giving him advice, I'm giving him a different perspective, because the chances of him getting to own a property is not very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Kurooi

As opposed to taking on a mortgage, and paying €500 a month in interest? If you're young, single and earning 30k it's not time to settle down.

You can benefit from the flexibility and mobility of not being tied down to a place for 25 yrs+ , your career can take you to better places, and there is something further to be said about not being exposed to interest rate risk or the market in general.

If you're paying your parents €500 a month, the difference is €300 a month, and this is the price for privacy, friendships, networking, personal life, career, being an independent adult? I'd pay it any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well no, so likely moot in his case, but you made some very sweeping generalisations there unsupported by any evidence and contradicted by the direct experience of me and many many people like me.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

You say you're comfortable in regards to a lot of things. Your job, living with family and living close to friends ect. But I'm not sure taking the safe choice with everything actually brings much fulfilment or overall happiness. So the combination of all your safe choices has you here complaining about your situation- stuck at home, not good with women.

True satisfaction for most guys comes through continued challenge. A reasonable amount of struggle everyday will reap massive rewards in your life. No struggle is easy but will leave you struggling mentally- which in turn is much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OP can you not aim for what most folks do? (as in, it works!)

Move out of your parents house and rent for the time being. Continue to grow that 10k savings pot. Don't touch it if you can.

Hopefully meet a partner along the way over the next few years.

Then use your combined income to buy a place together.

Seems fairly straightforward to me. Yes, renting is money you won't see again, however few people go straight from living at home to buying their own place. At 29 on 32k I doubt that's going to be an option any time soon, so your number 1 priority should be moving out to get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...i mustnt be achieving true satisfaction so, as im looking for a very easy life, and is doing so, very well!

...and im relatively happy these days, with the odd bit of anxiety and depression interspersed, tis all good though...

....life truly is what we all make of it, some are very driven, and this drive can make them very happy, but im one of those thats not very driven, but loves to just experience life, as best as possible...

....ive been struggling enough in life, i really dont want to be struggling more than i need to be...

...surround yourself with people that truly care about you, spend as much time as possible pursuing what you truly love doing, life can be taken from us at any stage, so make the best of it....

...op, no harm in moving out, tis off the walls expensive though, dont beat yourself up too much in regards your current situation, its extremely common, and getting worse, its nothing to do with what you have done, or not done, we ve completely fcuked up our housing markets, and thats virtually nothing to do with your and your generation....

Rent for the time being and waste my money when I can live at home and pay half the rent I would living on my own??? You seriously don’t get it. I’m living at home to try and save as much money as I can and moving out renting won’t do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I don’t really know if there is any magic solution if you don’t want to rent and you don’t want to get a different job - you’ll just have to wait until you have saved more and even then take on a place that needs work or have a long commute.

I’m not thinking of moving out just yet and won’t be buying soon. Maybe the next year or two? I’d easily live outside Dublin as it’s too expensive for housing. Plenty of cheap houses in Meath/Louth areas. And the commute to work (airport) wouldn’t be that bad!

It looks like you've resolved your issue then OP for the time being anyhow. You're no longer 'longing to move out' and now have a plan for the future, which is good.

I'll close this one off in the circumstances and thank all those who took time to offer advice.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement