Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29, single and living at home

Options
  • 22-05-2023 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

29 and still living at home. Longing to move out and get my own house, won’t rent as it’s just throwing money away. I’m single on 32k so not much out there to buy. Only have 10k in savings as I was stupid with money and had two cars on finance and payed the last one off then got a new one last year with a loan of €200 coming out each month which finished in august.

anyone else in the same boat and can over advice? Buying a house would be a lot easier if I had a girlfriend but at the minute I don’t. Not very good with women!

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

The blanket notion that 'renting is dead money' is financial ignorance, and we've all heard it. Don't be sucked in by that thinking, and don't let your current inability to own property cloud your self-image. I'm not assuming it does, but just saying.

If things are ok at home, then you are in a better position than so many people. At 29, with no mortgage and no relationship, your ability to reinvent yourself and your earning power is better than it is ever going to be.

If things are not ok at home, then the 'dead money' is double nonsense, because your unwillingness to rent means you don't value your independence. I got out at 17.

I'm conscious of being a bit older than you, and having my own home, but my advice for what it's worth... you need to always be moving forward, even with no guaranteed outcomes. If you're not up for that, then do you really want what you say you want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Try to increase your earnings.

32k is okay for somebody that age, but not great.

It is well below median and mean earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Cars can be expensive, so should not be a priority if trying to save a deposit.

I suggest trying to save 1,000 pm, especially if no rent is paid.

That 200 a month is a lot more than the 120 a month you've saved in the last seven years.

Good that you're now aware of this issue and my advice would be to move out and learn some independence and increase your job mobility and chances of finding a partner, or stay at home and save far more for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP you need to sit down and work out your income and outgoings. 2 cars paid off on finance and then got another one seems an unnecessary expense. You will be amazed once you detail everything and see where the unnecessary expense is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭3DataModem

"Longing to move out and get my own house, won’t rent as it’s just throwing money away."

• I suggest a change in perspective. If you are longing to move out, then investing some of your income in serving that longing is not throwing money away. Interest rates are a lot higher than a couple of years ago too... so there's a bunch of people your age who took on mortgages 3 years ago instead of renting who are now paying 1.5x the mortgage. That extra money is just as thrown away as your rent, but they can't move as easily. Also, renting a place or two or three really gives you an idea of what is important to you in a long-term home, that investment of 20k or 30k over a couple of years could save you a lot of heartache in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If you were longing to move out, you would rent, it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Why does having a girlfriend make buying a house easier?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Pretty much most of the people across the EU of your age are in the same situation except that unlike people in the Anglo Sphere they have not been brainwashed by the developers into believing the necessity to get on the property ladder.

No matter how much crap you hear in the press or from so called wise people, investing in a property is the dumbest financial decision you can make. When you invest in a property you break every rule of prudent investing:

• You borrow to invest
    • You investing in a high risk asset class
    • You investing in an illiquidity asset
    • You fail to diversify the risk
    • You accept a low return on a high risk investment

Little wonder that so many people got wiped out in 2007 then! People like to blame the government, the banks, the vulture funds, the developers etc for their misfortunes, but the reality is that if you make bad financial decisions you should not be surprised if they go pear shaped.

If you believe that renting is throwing money away, then you had better check your weekly spending as I’m sure you are throwing a lot of other money away already - beer, cigarettes, dining out, holidays etc. you could do without all of those as well. The reality is that renting is a service like any other and it’s up to you whether you want to spend your money on it or not. If you decide to rent you’ll get a place to live, independence from your parents etc…

A housing policy that depends on people taking on huge amounts of debt or makes them rely on social services to but a roof over their heads is never going to work, but there is going to have to be a lot more pain in Ireland before the Irish voter is going to get to the understanding that most of Europe has - not everyone can own a house!

The reality is that your financial situation will not support buying a house at this time and it would be unwise to attempt doing so. At best you would put yourself under financial pressure and at worst you could find yourself wiped out financial. So while you have not made the best of financial choices, you have at least not compounded it by making an even bigger one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Hi OP.

I think, as has been said upthread, you need to think about priorities. When you don’t have a high income you can’t have your cake and eat it too. I have no idea how much you’ve spent on cars but if you didn’t just save up and buy a cheap ish one guessing you prioritised getting a car which was more than about getting from a to b. I would love a better car, but for me saving for a house is more important.

Lots of people are moving back in with parents to save to buy a house more easily and that’s perfectly fine. However, I think because you have always lived at home it’s time for a slice of independence and responsibility. 20s is a time when you can tolerate and even enjoy house shares.

You might meet somebody in a few years that you can buy a house with or you might not - either way at least move out for a few years, leave your saving untouched for the deposit and enjoy life a bit. You will be more attractive to potential partners if you haven’t just lived at home permanently. Rent might be dead money but the way interest rates have gone it’s no longer the case that mortgages are way cheaper to pay back monthly than renting is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 DirectorKrennic

Hi OP,

I am in the same boat and so are many people of a similar age. I'm 32 and living at home with parents - I absolutely love them, they love me and we honestly get on great. The sad reality is housing in this country - both to rent and buy - has become very unaffordable. It seems to be happening in many English speaking countries too. I've been saving really hard for almost 3 years now - I wonder if buying as a single person is something that is going to happen for most closer to 40 than 30 in the future. Lately I've begun to feel guilty living with my parents. I have a friend who rents a small house with his girlfriend in a lovely area in Dublin - they thing is, there are two of them and both on good salaries. I am on an average salary. I would just say, try not be too hard on yourself. Many people are experiencing the same thing. I know a few people my age and older in my home town experiencing the same thing. It's a tough situation. I've tried to take up some new hobbies to try get out of my head a bit more - definitely try take care of yourself and hopefully your parents understand it's a tough situation for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Cut out wasteful spending obviously. What area do you work in ? Would you consider emigrating? You need to earn more, the problem is, most people in this country are on poor pay and inflation is eroding their purchasing power. They think, i get my five percent pay increase in two months... its not even covering inflation. Youre going backwards... you lose half your salary over the pittance of 40k here... there are some of the core problems...

Some of my mates have put up garden rooms on their parents land, if you have the space and they are willing

Ideal if laneway access to rear or side access. This isn't legal, but hey, they are there years later and not living in kip houseshares and being fleeced for the privilege... you can save, you're not a worker drone, once you aren't financially captive, its a great liberator...

Watch realestate4ransom on YouTube. Then start watching immanent ghandi etc on youtube. You need to ststgrttimg ptoper insight and mindset. You are still very young, but now is when you need to change things...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

That is so brainless i don't know where to start

you arent investing in a house to live in it

renting is all fine and dandy when affordable, but shiite craice when it aint and the current housing crisis is as much financial ruin as 2007 was for some

and guess what even with 2007 happening, much worse in ireland than almost anywhere, they are still back in the black today, and have had 15 years not paying rent into someone elses pockets and thats a once in 40-50 year event

all those who bought in 1980s and are looking at a house worth what 6 times what it was even accounting for inflation would tend to disagree

renting is also grand when its just one, but become unaffordable when you are a family and you get trapped unable to buy

not too many stories of old women evicted from house she owns but plenty of ones for old people renting

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Surely you mean 'investing badly in property is the dumbest financial decision you can make.'...?

How can investing in putting a roof over your head in general be a 'dumb financial decision.'? What is the alternative? rent forever?

Some people who saw their house value tumble during the 2007 crash are still living in those houses and their value is potentially back up to pre crash levels. If you can make the repayments on it and plan to live there for a very long time it is not a 'dumb decision'.

Your house fulfils a lot more roles than just being a financial investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

This is one option. I believe it is legal up to a certain size, I can't remember the exact measurements but there are one bedroom log cabins that fall within the limit of what you're allowed. I don't know if the OP's folks have the space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Is leaving ireland an option for you? It doesn't really have a whole lot going for it, particularly for young single people in your pay bracket. A lot of people bury their head in the sand about this issue and get stuck in that trap well into 30's and older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

They might be legal as a garden room or a shed, but not as a dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Too right if you are young with no kids and a lower income job I think it’s the best thing. Have an adventure. If you end up married with kids in a decade you may wish you had. But maybe part of the reason it doesn’t appeal to you OP is the same reason you haven’t moved out. Do you dislike change?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Your house fulfils a lot more roles than just being a financial investment."

+100% The idea that you just look at a house purchase solely as a financial investment is arguably what drives property speculation.

We rented for maybe 8 years, saw the monies going out and the complete lack of tenure. Bought as soon as practical and never had a worry since. Still live in the same place.

Maybe things are different in central Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Already lived abroad in Australia. No point going there as will be renting won’t be buying. Cost of living in Australia/Canada is the same as or more than Ireland. No point running say from my financial problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The average age to move out in Ireland is now 28 so at 29 you’re in a pretty common situation throughout the country. I believe this has increased year on year for quite some time. We’re higher than the EU average

Highlights. In 2021, in the EU, the average age of young people leaving their parental home was 26.5 years. In 2021, Sweden (19.0 years) recorded the lowest average age of young people leaving their parental home, and Portugal (33.6 years) the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

What are the property prices like in the areas you'd be looking to buy?

Getting a salary increase of some sort would be a great start. A bank would give you up to 4 times your salary as a loan, so asking for an increase, trying to get a promotion, or switching jobs for more money is the quickest way to bridge the gap.

Saving is a slow grind but a target of 1k a month might be attainable? Is a dig out from parents a possibility at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Can’t get a salary increase. I’m on €17 an hour now and the cap pay in my current job is €23 an hour. Money goes up every year so it’ll be about 5 years until I reach the cap. I have no degree and this job is good money for the work I do (airport job with DAA) so won’t leave. Higher money would be managerial roles which I wouldn’t want.

id easily move outside of Dublin (Meath) and get a new build using the help to buy scheme and that other home scheme that the gov offers???

The salaries in those countries are higher and income taxes way less on " high earners "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

You need a reality check. €17 per hour is crap @ 32. Get a new job, can’t get a new job, re-train. Get a taxi plate. Learn a trade, anything but don’t accept your career consists of 5 years working up to a max of €23 ph. You’re on here looking for advice so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Bar you manage to save, rob or get gifted a substantial amount of money to put towards a house you aren't going to get far on your salary as a single buyer in Dublin.

If you look at the AIB calculator you're at around €140k-ish you can borrow.

If you want to buy a house I'd spent the next year or two trying to move employment to increase your salary to give you more options and couple that with a religious saving regime. If you're living at home €1k plus every month is not unrealistic.

2 years and you'll have a hell of a lot more options.

Renting has it's places but if you've a good home life now use it to your advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Galaxy00

Im in a similar situation OP at 35. Currently going back to college and up skilling so in about 5 years I'll hopefully be at senior level in my career and be making 100k yearly salary and hopefully afford a house as a single person if im still single by then. I am sorry you're going through this, i completely relate. Options are you could buy a fixer up or an apartment outside of Dublin or Perhaps go to college and upskill? Best of luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement