Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29, single and living at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I give my parents €500 per month so it’s impossible for me to save €1k a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Buying a house with a Girlfriend/Boyfriend (unless married/long term partnership) is a super bad financial decision. Kinda like 'Winona Forever' Tattoos. 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

There's a lot more countries out there than Aus/Canada. Broaden your horizons, learn a language, or upskill a lot if staying in ireland. Your issue here seems to be more motivational than anything from what I can see. You're putting up a lot of barriers instead of entertaining solutions.

I think there's a lack of scaremongering around this issue. The realities are pretty stark. There's a prevailing attitude from our parents generation that an honest days work or humble job is required. These low to mid range salaries are literally the worst thing you can do. Every day you go into that job is a day wasted. It would be smarter to be on the dole for a couple of years and dedicating all that time into upskilling.

But you need a defined plan instead of burying your head in the sand and hoping something will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

If €17 per hour is considered crap then there really isn't much hope for a lot of people. If I was earning that while living at home I'd be saving a substantial amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Something's got to change. If you want to stay in the Dublin-Meath area, then you need to earn/save more money, which means changing the kind of work you do. The alternative is to look somewhere else, where property is cheaper, and figure out how to earn enough money to make ends meet there.

You say you already have 10k in savings, so it'd be perfectly feasible for you to buy a house in a village in southern Italy for 1€ and put the other 99999€ towards initial renovations. You can still get houses in France (needing work) for 5k if you look hard enough.

Sounds like it'd be a lot easier for you to learn French or Italian (so you could find low-paid work in one of those countries) than to increase your savings to the point of having enough for a deposit for somewhere in Dublin - but that's the choice you've got to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

This! Late to mid thirties and I went out and changed career. This is the trapped mindset im talking about. Tiny incremental increases every year. No holidays, worrying about bills. That's what happens on that kind of pay...

What good is it moving to France/Italy? I have my good payed job here (for someone with no degree). The only thing I could study is music, only subject I had an interest in school but there’s no money in it though. I’m perfectly comfortable living in Ireland where my friends and family are and live my job. No point changing jobs and being unhappy just to have more money now is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I reckon I'm on about €23 ph and I own a house and have plenty of holidays.

I had a higher paying job for a while but it was more stress, there's a price to pay for high paying jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If you're pretty comfortable I'd say that's good, doesn't sound you have a major 'issue'.

I only thought about buying a house when I got married, I had zero interest in buying a house when I was single.

I'd say enjoy life and don't worry about it.

500 a month to your parents is a lot. If they need it fair play but I lived at home on/off after college/between living abroad etc. and I never had to pay anything (apart from buying groceries a bit etc.) so I was lucky I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well, for me (I live in rural France) having a decent bit of land and the freedom to jump in my car/camper and drive the length and breath of the continent without ever having to book a ferry is one good reason! Also being able to live very comfortably on the back of about 16 weeks work a year. No, it's not about the money ... but it's not about working day-in-day-out for some ungrateful employer either. Each to his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe sit down with them and go through things, your wishes and options and what they're thinking. If you have a plan and they can see you saving steadily with a purpose, you could come to another arrangement. Most parents want what's best for their children and will help in whatever way, if they can at all.

I hear you about job in airport, if it's what you like doing and feel it's secure then take less notice of those criticising pay etc. Far too many people stuck in job for 'better pay' that they hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

Out on interest OP, I know you mentioned that renting is dead money, but if you're already paying your folks 500 a month, would it make a huge amount of difference to be paying 750 or so for a room in a house share somewhere on the northside of Dublin? Would probably increase your chances of getting a girlfriend too. You're ability to save might take a bit of a hit in the short term but would probably improve your situation in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭89897

You wont rent as you see it as dead money and you wont change jobs because you like it and dont want to progress to a higher salary because that would mean managerial work. Thats a alot of blockers to wanting something that none of these things will give you.

Firstly look into a part time course and up skill, get your degree or see what training the DAA offers.

Stop looking at rent as dead money, if you want your own independence and freedom, somewhere to bring a girlfriend home to, a space of your own, then renting isnt dead money. Its a means to an end.

Right now you sound stuck in a rut and you need to find that one action to focus on rather than shutting them all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

No.

750 if he is lucky.

Don't forget bills

• Electric
    • internet
    • tv
    • food
    • heating

Then there is mammys cooking - impossible to put a figure on that.

But if that 500 quid covers all or most of the above inc most day to day food then the OP is in a super position vs renting a room he would be essentially trapped in most of the time. House shares are fine when your in college or a very young professional.

OP - I think a career change may be the way forward for you. Id imagine your working nights potentially or at least some of them? Getting onto a day shift firstly would probably be a big help mentally. I know its not easy at all to consider uprooting your career - but maybe there is more to how your feeling then just the cash.

As for cars - 4 wheels and they go place to place - don't buy a new one again until what your driving literally can drive no more. Waste of money!

So living in a house share is only for college students and young professionals, but living with your parents and having your mother cook your meals as you're approaching your 30s is super? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kurooi

at 32k you can't buy a whole lot right now. Focus on your work, save money and wait. Most of us , even coupled off and hard earners, plan their house purchase years ahead.

In hope that the market turns a little, and you have a larger deposit, and maybe your earnings will go up a bit too.

Alternatively, you could get your own room somewhere with some young people, have a grand time socializing and living the life. Getting a house might not be the best for your life satisfaction. You really get a new perspective that way, and if I was in your shoes and seen any upwards career potential I'd do just that.

Having experienced both and now building my own house for my own family ...

If your into partying at any level and that's what you want then sure go move out. Its absolutely financially irresponsible for anyone with the aspiration of owning their own place to move into a house share given the current economic climate(with the exception of doing it to advance their career or make significantly more money). Even if they wanted to do this for some bizarre reason, its going to be a lot more than 250 euro additional per month - therefore reducing their ability to save/study/go on dates etc.

The OP has experienced it already as they mentioned living in Australia.

Moving back in with your parents can suit some people. If a person or couple have a very set savings plan in mind with an end goal in sight, then it can be ideal for increasing savings for a deposit. The OP sounds quite a bit off this though, and from knowing people who continued to live with their parents into their late 20s and 30s with no proper or realistic plan to get out of the situation, it can be very stunting.

There's more than partying to living away from home, its about personal development too. He's said he has been bad with money and can't get a girlfriend, if he moved out he'd definitely have to improve his budgeting skills, maybe give him more motivation to earn more, etc. Also his dating opportunities would definitely be better.

If it doesn't work out, house shares are fairly easy to get out of IIRC, and he can always move back in with his folks again.

The OP wants his own place though.

Suggesting a house share is financially a backwards step in realizing that goal. " Longing to move out and get my own house".

Did he mention he wants a girlfriend?

The OP is single, on 32k with 10k in savings and, as far as I can tell, living on the north side of Dublin. Also can't/won't look for a better job. Who knows how many years it would take him to get enough together to buy his own place. At this point in his life, he'd be better off taking a plunge and seeing how it goes, try to get himself out of this rut, meet some new people, learn and develop, try to lose some of the self-imposed blockers regarding his career, etc. Worst case scenario, if he hates the house share and the rent/bills are too much for his earnings, he can move right back in with his parents after a couple of months.

He didn't specifically mention he wanted a gf but I assumed as much by the OP, even for the purpose of having an extra income for saving for a deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

What you need is a plan and budget. How much do you plan on spending, is it achievable at the top of the payscale and then reduce you outgoings as much as possible.

If your living at home with no girlfriend or kids your outgoings should be the bare minium. If you have any finance, loans or credit cards look at clearing them. 32k should work out about 2k after tax minus the money you give to you parents leaves you with €1500 which at minium you should be saving half of that. That will give you 45k (55k) after 5 years of saving and if you reach the top of the payscale in that time you will be able to buy a property for around 240k. Theres a good few on daft in Dublin and Meath around this price so it is achievable. If your not happy with this figure you will need to look into completing a course, going for a promotion or changing jobs. Do something that will increase your wages, at the very least look at a Springboard course as it will cost you nothing and improve your future employment oportunities. Doing overtime is another option to increase yor savings but is only a short term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not everyone gets married these days. Couples can be in decades long relationships. Plenty of 'boyfriends/girlfriends' out there with houses together.

On the flip side, there are also plenty of marriages dissolving and houses having to be sold off. Nothing is certain.

Obviously don't be buying a house with someone you've known two weeks. But if you're two people living together 5 years with no sign of changing you should probably look into buying somewhere if you have the funds.

Some folks would prioritize buying a house over a big wedding. It's just far more practical IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Nothing wrong with upskilling but it can be difficult to change career when you don't have the experience in the area you're going into. Another option is a second job. Plenty of flexible options out there now. I used to deliver food on Saturdays with Just Eat for some extra income. You can choose your own hours and you are your own boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Defo cut the car spending a car to get you a to b should be enough for a few years. Continue saving and try to increase that while living at home. Have you any skills that would allow you earn money on the side? Try maybe signing upbto wrkwrk formally known as gettheshifts. Its an agancy that books staftbfor events be it bar staff, stewards , ticketing staff etc for gigs sporting events etc.

Also go through all your ourgoing . Subscriptions to streaming services are killing some people. I only sign up to 1 service at a time. Let shows build up and then sign up

Are your tax credits correct. Do you claim ur refunds every year? Reclaim medical expenses, uniforms etc you can go back 4 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

The fact you're in Dublin is working heavily against you in this regard with your current income. For instance I was in your position a few years ago, on less money BUT I live somewhere that is much more affordable than Dublin. I'm turning 34 next month and I'm still on a little less than you money-wise and I managed to buy an apartment two years ago, and I still live a pretty comfortable life, never worrying about money. If you want to buy you're either going to have to go outside Dublin or upskill and get a better paid job if you want to stay in Dublin. There are no two ways about it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What absolutely dreadful, ridiculous nonsense.

If we'd followed your advice we'd now be paying rent 2.5-3 times that of our mortgage, with zero security for our family, no savings, and nothing whatsoever to show for the six figure rent that would have been paid since the time we bought. Yes in 2006. Yes, in Dublin.

Even though we're on a tracker and payments have gone up, it's not enough to bother switching with 9 years and <100k owing. Meanwhile of course rents have exploded and finding a property at all is impossible for many.

Such dreadful, dreadful advice.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And yet that is the 'ridiculous nonsense' that is backed up by the research and applied in most other states outside the Anglo Sphere bubble and it's the response I'd expect.

Moving out and getting my own room somewhere is pointless advice. What’s the point moving out to live in a room paying €800 on rent literally throwing money away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

But you are already paying your parents 500 per month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement