Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E10 Crap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

What are people doing with the water ethanol mix they are removing? Where can you dispose of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ethanol is the alcohol we all know about. Remove any remaining impurities and flavour to taste?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The pure petrol without ethanol still comes in varying octanes, adding ethanol let's them use lower grade petrol to hit the 95 octane. The petrol in the 5% ethanol would be higher grade than the petrol that'll be used with the 10%.

There used to be higher octane available in Ireland normally but they banned over 95 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

What is the actual damage 10% ethanol is supposed to do? Eats diaphragms, seals etc? Or just hygroscopic in a tank?

E85 is around 20% cheaper here in Sweden, I haven't tried the 636 on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I've heard it does both of the above, I had first hand experience of a tank being destroyed but its the other damage I'm worried about.... its hard to separate fact from fiction regarding the extent and severity of possible damage afaics....

The manufacturer of some of my bikes hasn't listed anything manufactured before 2008/2009 as compatible with e10 so it's a bit worrying even if you know it may be akin to side effects listed on pharmaceuticals....

I added an e10 fuel protector to a tank yesterday as a stop gap, at 17 euro a bottle and only treats 60 litres + no easy means of measuring from the supplied bottle its an expensive pain in the hole...

I'm wondering if I can get away with e10 and flush the system with something like that Aspen 4 and brim tanks before they sit up for the winter but I don't want the bikes fucked up and even greater expense down the line..

If vehicles aren't compatible with this **** according to manufacturers themselves a reasonable alternative should be available...even if its only available in one or two places in a county at least you could stock up....its really poor form to not offer a decent alternative to something like this imo

I'm **** sick to the back teeth of all kinds of obsolescencey, planned and forced ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This are in Lidl at the moment.

If I think I wont be using a bike for a while I'll be draining the tank.

NOT for petrol; motor oil and diesel only afaik.

Not your ornery onager

Defo not an expert here, but wouldnt you want to be sure every last drop was sucked out, the worst tank I saw had about a half a teacup full of petrol in it that left all the inner surface fir the corrision to work on.....the ones that were fuller fared better

If you can get all of it out then maybe fair enough but I wonder would brimming it with a stabiliser before you leave it up be a better way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Is there anywhere you can still buy E5?

I understood that the stations where allowed to sell E5 provided each pump had an E10 option too.

But I've not seen anywhere still selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd imagine there's more money to be made by keeping the pumps e10

It is an option and if it was only one or two bikes yeah why not.

But what I have it's it's probably easier to drain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Ive no doubt it will. Might set it and you on fire too...

Hahaha mighty craic so.

Definitely doing it now.

I have one, and I remember the instructions said not to use it on petrol.

What could possibly go wrong? 😳

Use a mechanical one.

Not your ornery onager

I have one that pumps by hand but it's not great at getting fuel out of tanks.

What can go wrong?

Well I suppose petrol wouldn't be great for any seals inside.

I'll have to open it up and have a look and try a workaround if I think it needs it.

Most bikes have pumps submerged in fuel that can fail anyway.

I had a pump fail and when I took it out,a wire had a nick out of its insulation.

I'd probably be more worried about a vehicle that somebody uses one of these pumps all the time to drain the oil instead of via the sump plug.

I'm doing work on someone's bike at the moment and the sump had to come off.

37 year old bike, look what amassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Adding water to petrol when dissolved water is the problem!!! (just letting it sit won't remove all of it) and using chainsaw petrol, jeez I've heard it all now!

Is that Aspen stuff approved by any motor vehicle manufacturers at all? if not you'd be better off taking your chances with E10 tbh.

Ethanol can definitely cause problems when a bike is stored, but ordinary petrol will too if left long enough.

I used to have a Triumph with a plastic tank, owners in certain states in the US had the expanding tank problem even in the 00s. Some places mandated more ethanol and/or other crap than others.

A couple of decades from now getting petrol at all will be a problem...

Definitely think that those oil pumps are a menace, you need to drain an engine properly to get the crap out.

Life ain't always empty.

The octane measure they use in the US isn't comparable with ours (look up RON and MON if you're interested) so the octane difference is much more slight than it looks.

Life ain't always empty.

What say you re stabilisers or additives...any brands/products etc you might recommend?

Never used any but I ride year round.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Two week old E10 wouldn't start my RGV.

Drained it, ran up to the garage and got some fresh stuff, came home, added it and bike started first kick. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Weird

I've noticed the bike runs hotter on E10

I'm researching if it's possible to fuel with E nothing in it... good old RON98

Dunno where to get it/store it though

The fuel was definitely going off in that short space of time.

It was gone yellow and starting to reek a bit.

🙄

I wonder was it contaminated in some other way as going from E5 to E10 shouldn't cause the fuel to go off in only two weeks.

Life ain't always empty.

I don't know. I got the fresh stuff at the same garage and it looked/smelled fine.

I've left some in a gallon so I must remember to check it in a couple of weeks and see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Regarding the Lidl's 12-v pump; it will last a long time pumping diesel or lube oil, but will wear out quickly pumping petrol because of the lack of lubrication, (especially now that there is no lead in it). also there is the possibility that the sparks from motor's brushes will ignite any accumulation of petrol fumes, I know we all say we would do it with adequate ventilation, but there are idiots out there .

Regarding trying to prevent interior rust in tanks; it has long been standard practice among sailing-boat owners to brim their diesel tanks over winter, but now it's all up in the air because whatever they have done to the diesel causes it to have a very short shelf life indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Just seeing this, there is a thread in the classic cars section that may be of interest:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058285653/e10-finally-coming-in/p1

After reading that story I was worried. The bike was parked up at the beginning of July. I had filled it with E10.

Finally got some free time yesterday and headed out to start the bike. Your words were in my head. It was no slower or quicker starting after its six weeks of not running. I let it tick over for 10 mins and turned off the tank fuel to drain the bowls.

In short,for me, no difference in starting for a bike lying. Only thing I'm a bit worried about at the moment is rubbers breaking down and turning to mush.

What bike?

I only have the issue with one bike. A 30 year old rgv.

• Advertisement

2003 zx636 carbed model.

Advertisement