Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ineos pissed off at Ben. That makes me like him even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Safe to say that Ben is off Puccio's Christmas card list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭griffin100

This has to be the best commentary team for a long time. I’ve been a fan of McEwan since he came on board and Kelly works well with him but adding in Jens Voight was genius. They rub off each other well and Jens is quite funny.

I don’t even mind Adam Blythe, he’s a lot better than some of the other ex pros that they sometime use.

Anything is better that Kirby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I think Kelly has upped his game since McEwan joined the team. He's become a little more loquacious and animated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,768 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't think he would have any problem riding for someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Love : Kelly

Like : McEwen and Voight

Tolerate: Llyod ...he can be very boring

Dont like: Hatch

Cant stand : Blythe

Just goes to show some people bring out the best in others while others shut you down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think Lloyd is supposed to be the boring straight man but I think he often gives the best information as it's just clear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In fairness, every single prediction I’ve made this Giro has been wrong.

I was happy to see Roglic go for it yesterday. More of the same today please.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭griffin100

Completely agree. He was getting very stale and McEwain really works well with him. Kelly seems happier to talk about his racing experience when he’s talking to McEwain as opposed to Kirby or another non rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Kelly recognises McEwen pedigree and experience and he seems like a very nice guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Anyone but Hatch please Carol!!

I actually don't mind Blythe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

LL Sanchez having a great rest whilst having a chin-wag to the commissaires 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We taking bets on whether he goes again...

(Jens talking about Ben)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I like Dan Lloyd. I enjoy his nerdy love of the sport but I get why it wouldn't work for many. Blythe is fine. He would be so much better if he skipped the attempted comedy. Agree that Voight and McEwan are good additions. Kelly is great the only issue being that he often needs to be prodded to talk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Jens seemed to enjoy those attacks from Ben as much as we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jayco pulling in the peloton now as Buitrago is virtually 5th on GC. Not sure they need to do that yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Have eurosport gotten rid of Kirby or is in hibernation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

GCN are now responsible for the provision of cycling coverage to Eurosport, whereas Carlton works for Eurosport directly, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kirby and Brian smith were doing the Tour of Hungary the week before last. I'd imagine he is doing the Tour of Norway that starts today as well

• Advertisement

I have it in my head that Hatch did the Giro last year, then both Hatch & Kirby did the Tour, and it was just Kirby for the Vuelta. I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry I haven't been around all day, who dropped him? Was it Wednesday? I already said he was wrecked on Wednesday. That's why I believe he took it easy yesterday to help the body recover.

Anyway he didn't make the break today so Pinot will have the blue jersey and I'm happy for him to get a jersey in his last Giro.

I hope he does the tour, he'll be applauded all through it, no better swansong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

One of my favourite little bits of commentary - and it happens regularly - is when Hatch gets carried away and then Kelly (and McEwan) just pour water on it

Great one the other day when Ballerini was riding on the front and Hatch called it a furious tempo. Kelly said something like “it’s not that hard when you see everyone staying with him”.

Hatch can be very good for exciting finales but if there’s a British rider involved, forget it.

Like all the GCN crew tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is roglic putting all his eggs in tommorows basket? Havent seen him attack yet in any stages ive watched?

I love Kirby but I like everybody you mention there as well. The commentary team on now is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ben healy looked comfortable after his last dig. Hopefully he can have another go before the end of the race

I have to say I'm very surprised Jumbo haven't tried to make it very difficult up this climb.

Ineos have a lot of riders left to protect Thomas. I thought they'd try and isolate him before the final two climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The scenery today is amazing... makes up for last week's misery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Michael Matthews super domestique for Eddie... who would have thought it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Paddigol

He was at it again yesterday when Almeida overcooked it on a corner and Dunbar followed suit... "OH NO, NO NO!!!..." Kelly: "yes, well eh, they all stayed upright so no problems there"

I really dislike him and his phoney accents. I've heard him interviewed when he speaks in his regular, north of England accent, and he's fine. Comes across as a genuine fan. So its a pity he puts on some pseudo posh English accent and over pronounces every possible French/ Spanish/ Italian syllable. It get that he's fluent in Spanish, and yes, it's good to make some effort. But his effusiveness just takes away from what he's actually there to do - commentate on a bike race.

I'd honestly take Carlton over him any day of the week.

I promise, I'm not going to give out about him again until the Tour is over.

Advertisement