Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,022 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If I was to bet on it I think neither Healy or Pinot makes the break.

It will also probably be a huge break that will soak up all the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Healy just has to find enough to get in the break, win the KOM points on the cat 2 and the first cat 1, if he can hang on then and finish top four on the next cat 1 he beats Pinot.

There's no chance Pinot gets any points today. He won't be let go, Bora, Bahrain and Jayco will make sure of that and possibly the top three teams as well. His only chance to prevent it is to send Armirail and Molard in the break. They are the only two capable of causing disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

No it's not Pinot in his pomp. but he could / should have had 2 stage wins in this race and he still left Healy languishing in his wake yesterday (given that Healy came in with the Cavendish group he may have had other issues or maybe he's fcuked after 3 weeks of racing and Pinot's resilience and experience is standing him in good stead).

"Pinot's resilience"

As long as you haven't jinxed him into having another late tour injury/illness 😬

But you don't understand that I'm not saying that Healy would beat him in a full stage. I'm saying that he has the speed and power to drop almost anybody over a 20km distance.

If he takes off he can get away and it's likely then a break will form and he'll be in it and can then relax. Pinot doesn't have the luxury of going with a break today.

Now I expect Jumbo to turn it up on the second cat 1 and the break may be caught there or just make it over but they'll be swallowed either on that climb or just after it. Healy need points on the second cat 1 to beat Thibaut. That's of course if he gets full points on the first two.

He definitely suffered from his efforts on Wednesday and might have taken the day off yesterday to be ready for today. He finished 37 minutes down yesterday which suggests he took it easy and hung out with the sprinters. Milan finished ahead of him, Dainese not far behind him.

Thibaut has two options, one is get Armirail and Molard in the break or put them on the front to try stop the break opening up a big gap.

• Advertisement

"he has the speed and power to drop almost anybody over a 20km distance"

And you could say that about many of the riders he will be up against.

"Pinot doesn't have the luxury of going with a break today"

Neither does Healy. You think Pinot won't mark him or FdJ won't chase Healy down. You said yourself it's what FdJ need to do.

If it's all so easy why was Healy not in yesterdays break with all this explosive ability to drop almost anybody ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Love him or hate him it's a waste of time interviewing Roglic.

Pinot is too close on GC to riders from Jayco, Bora and Bahrain to be let go in a break. Even Ineos, Jumbo and UAE mightn't like it.

In the post you quoted I have my opinion on Healy's performance yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

More out of the Daniel Friebe impressions on TCP!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dunno if it’s legs or tactics but no sign of Healy this morning. EF pretty quiet overall

Jayco, as ever, very active but Zanna not involved. He’ll likely be Dunbar’s last domestique today

Still a long way to the hills…

EDIT: Literally just showed Healy chilling at the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

similar to 20 years of Brian Cody interviews...absolutely nothing revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Healy is sitting down the very back of the bunch, with Pinot on his wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

LOLZ. He should play chicken with him on the time cut, and see if he can drop him at just the right moment so Pinot misses the cut.

Joking of course.

Pinot shouldn't really be playing mind games. They're not his strongest suit

EF should put Cepeda on Pinot's wheel.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the GCN motorbike-mounted pundit interviewing the UAE DS and thought "Crikey - Blythe's Spanish is really good"

It was Contador.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Healy looking more prominent now, Pinot stuck to his back wheel.

He should wait til after the intermediate sprint, when the gradient starts to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Random question - will Pinot ride the Tour de France? He seems in good form, big name French rider French team. Seems strange to me if his swan song doesn't involve TDF.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

FDJ are all in for Gaudu for the TDF.

Don't think Pinot will ride super-dom for anyone, so they will probably leave him out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pinot is down to ride the tour per PCS but that may well be a guess. I suspect it's up to him. If he wants to then they'll probably let him go in a free role and while he might not fancy the super-dom role as retaliivity says he does pitch in and help his leader from time to time. Stage win, chants of one more year and riding for AG2R next season eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Would love for Pinot to try and get the polka dot jersey in the tour .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And you completely ignored when he was dropped by one of those same riders.

Like we'd all love him to win, but there's definitely some green tinted bias going on. Same happens with Bennet all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Healy - this is gas crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

What a gutsy if an ill fated move by Ben here.

lol,this is comical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

crazy attack!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's ridiculous

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ben has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Must be looking for Combativity no 3 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide