Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Phenomenal effort by Eddie, couldn’t hang in there 100% but wasn’t far off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Eddie did fine and maybe up to 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Excellent ride from Eddie, measured when he knew his legs couldn’t go with front pair. Proper mature ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Kamna in 6th almost a minute back, if he can put some time into him tomorrow I'd say his top 5 is almost secured. Some ride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Eddie has been fortunate, though. He was able to stay with Kuss & Roglic on Tuesday and benefited from Vine & Almeida's chase today. Without the latter, I don't know if he'd have made up enough time on Caruso otherwise.

And again J-A have left him without much support when it counted. After Zana jumped in the break on the first climb this morning, Eddie was without any support for maybe 10 minutes until the chasing group with Hepburn got back on. The problem there was that as the commissaire had implemented a barrage in the cavalcade, a puncture for Eddie would have been a huge problem, given the delay in getting a wheel and the pace in that group. The only time he had decent support was along the valley and as soon as things started pointing upwards again, they were gone. For someone who Jacky Durand had tipped as a potential stage winner (and therefore you'd assume would have good form over the climbs), De Marchi seemed to go backwards early.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Assuming Eddie finishes top 5, hell even if he doesn't, I think he might get a stronger team around him next time. Don't think Yates would've done much better tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Healy took it very handy today after the break left, 37mins down, a minute behind Johnathan Milan and just ahead of Cav. Hopefully has enough in the tank for a tilt at tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

All Pinot has to do is mark Healy tomorrow (safe in the knowledge that the peloton will never let him go up the road) and the Jersey is his. Healy's only chance is that Pinot is literally too wrecked to follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ben is capable of leaving Thibaut in his wake. There'll be a break tomorrow and Pinot won't be in it. We can just hope Ben is.

I don't know why Ben wasn't in it today.

Eddie Dunbar has been incredible. The question now is how good can he become.

As for the GC battle, somebody has to make a real effort tomorrow. Whichever of them is least concerned about the insane TT is in the King's seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"I don't know why Ben wasn't in it today"

Because Ben can't just "leave people in his wake"

Terribly arrogant comment about a monument winner. Serious green tinted shte here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Healy wasn't in the break today because he cooked himself trying to get away. The only chance he has tomorrow is if Pinot isn't allowed in the break and he gets away. If they are both in Pinot will drop him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pinot probably has more than enough race craft too compared to healy to see it out.

In order to regain the jersey, Healy would have to win the first (2ndCat) the second ( 1st cat) and get at least second in the third climb ( 1st cat) ( or some similar combination). And all without Pinot scoring more than 13-14 points over those three climbs. I don't believe either of them will be in the points on the final two climbs of the day.

On top of that, there are so many points available tomorrow ( 158 I think) Bais or Rubio could still try to take the Jersey.

Not to mention that Pinot is likely to be sufficiently motivated to ensure that EF don't get anything after that little shitstorm on Twitter.

Which previous post of mine on this forum leads you to believe I'm talking crap or have green tinted glasses?

I never say those things unless I'm certain of it.

For instance Ben left a certain Filippo Zana in his wake in this tour, the same man Pinot couldn't shake today.

In the Amstel Gold race he did the same to Pidcock.

Pinot's monument win was five years ago, he's not nearly as good now as he was then.

I'm a huge Pinot fan but you seen today that he's not the same man he was a couple of years ago. He'd have dropped Zana a few years back but he couldn't today.

An extremely tough days cycling and the breakaway have no hope of staying away. I think they'll build up a nice lead but I expect Jumbo-Visma to start off pretty early and fracture the GC group.

The break might last through the first cat 2 and the first cat 1 and maybe just maybe get over the second cat 1 in front but it won't be by much. They'll have been reeled back by the time they hit the cat 2, how it's only a cat 2 I don't know, Passo Tre Croci which is 7.5 km at an average gradient of 7%. Can you imagine hitting that after a cat 2 and two cat 1's.

The final climb, Tre Cime di Lavaredo is listed as approx. 7km at 7.7% but that's because the first half of it isn't very difficult with a few kickers and easy enough besides them. Then you hit the second half of the climb which averages 12.5%. It's going to be an insane end to the stage and I don't think there'll be many left when they get to that climb.

The breakaway, no hope for Pinot here, he's far too close now in GC to too many.

The break should consist of Ben Healy, Rubio, Fortunato, Van Wilder, Zana might be there, Buitrago, Paret-Peintre, Gee, Frigo and a couple more Italians.

Pinot's only shot to stop Healy is to send Armirail and Molard in the break and hope they can work together strongly enough to prevent Healy from taking the big points.

It's a mouth watering stage. I said earlier that whoever fancies their chances in the TT is in the King's seat and I think that's Roglic.

Kuss has been superb, I'd love to see Jumbo give him a go at a Grand Tour, he's been such a great servant for so long I think he deserves it. A vicious Vuelta would be perfect for him. Kuss will make this very tough for everybody by the top of the last cat 1 I think.

Anyway Primoz has improved every day over the past week. I think he'll be in top shape tomorrow and I think he takes the stage and the Maglia Rosa.

I expect this to be a very bad day for Thomas because he'll have nobody left to help him from a long way out if Jumbo go early which I'm predicting they will.

Hopefully Eddie can stick it out.

Do you feel like changing your opinion on this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Funny really given Healy himself doesn't know what he is capable of and if he will become a GT rider. Vaughters spoke about this last week .

You guys should let Healy know he is not a climber so he doesn't waste his time trying to find out what you so easily know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement

Kuss has zero interest in GC, he's said it himself a few times in interviews. Amirail is looking for a top 10, so I guess will try and stick with the GC group as long as possible, probably alongside Pinot. Think the break has a good chance of staying away until Passo Giau, if its got the right people in it. All hell should break loose then after that.

Why did Healy not "leave Pinot in his wake" yesterday so ?

Also x beat y in a race and y beat z so therefore x is better than z doesn't work out. Every race and every day has its own story.

Let's not also forget we are 3 weeks into a race which Healy is not used to and these real mountain stages are not the same as classics climbs.

Last year, Jumbo-Visma were saying Kuss would be given his own GC opportunities.

Even if he doesn't want to go for GC, it would be nice for him to be let go for the KOM classification in one of the GTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pinot has been mugged a couple of times this race already but I still think the 6 time GT stage winner, TDF podium rider and Monument winner will have enough to hold off Healy, or at least make sure his team mates do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No doubt his team will be marking Healy but this is Pinot's retirement season, and the last of those wins was in 2019. That Pinot is not this Pinot. Now he may still have enough in the tank but you're not comparing like with like.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I gave one example of him leaving a guy for dead in the same tour and then an example of him doing it to another top rider in the Amstel Gold.

Of course you just pick the one out, as regards Zana, to try and defend your idiotic comment that if somebody said something that favours Ben Healy that they are either ridiculous or are wearing green tinted glasses.

So seeing as you never commented on him leaving Pidcock for dead in the Amstel and look at both situations of leaving excellent riders for dead on their favoured terrain. What have you say about that?

And then what is your response to my comment that Pinot is nowhere near the level he was at when he won his monument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I think Healy is cooked. Had a tough season so far, and has never been pushed 3 weeks into a stage race before. I think the fire still burns in Pinot, and he's still a top rider, but unfortunately not at the same level he was at pre his injury a few years back.

Anything could happen, but I think the cards are stacked against Healy's chances.

I'm more interested in seeing how Dunbar goes over the next couple of stages - what has he got left in the tank, what strategy will he employ if he does still have legs, and how will those ahead of him and just behind him fare? Will one of the top three completely blow? Can't see it myself. Gaps to those just behind him are much closer... will he ride a defensive race to protect his fourth place/ consolidate at least a top 5 finish?

Hugh Carthy a DNS today, so EF completely free to go for stages/KOM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That'd be my opinion. Also, it does take a certain amount of pressure off not having a team built around him. 2 stage wins for Jayco, it's really a bonus whatever Eddie does. And he's probably done enough to justify more support.

• Advertisement

As I said every race has its own story. Healy beat Pidcock in a race that suited both equally in a one day race.

That's not the same as getting into a break in the 3rd week of a tour and beating seasoned mountain goats on terrain that doesn't suit.

Of course Pinot isn't at that level in his final year but it's still ridiculous to be so bullish about a rookie up against him.

Advertisement