Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pandemic is officially over!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 not_sure_what_to_pick

I guess everyone in hospital are faking it because you never had to deal with their condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Out of interest... do you think that someone else could have caught the flu you had, and was fine with little to no symptoms?

Possibly, but my doctor said that it was ding the rounds and usually took six weeks to recover from, If that variant of flu had been around today, chances are it would have been reacted to in the same way as the covid outbreak was this time. I'm sure that there would have been a spike in the death rate at the same time that variant went around, same as it does every time we get a bad flu season.

But don't forget that covid is a coronavirus, a virus that accounts for about 15% of all common colds, it is now considered to be a common cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,914 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That is blatant medical misinformation. You are mixing up coronaviruses as a whole and groups within it.

Covid is not considered a common cold.

From Wiki:

Coronaviruses are a group of related RNA viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans and birds, they cause respiratory tract infections that can range from mild to lethal. Mild illnesses in humans include some cases of the common cold (which is also caused by other viruses, predominantly rhinoviruses), while more lethal varieties can cause SARSMERS and COVID-19, which is causing the ongoing pandemic.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Another reference. Its a sad state of affairs when a poster continues to post so much bullsh1t they have taken in from other CT sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Tork

The question is, when will Covid be over for all of you people who are continuing to post here? Serious question. Do you have date in mind? An event? What? Why are you still posting here? To what end?

A poster just up-thread mentioned the Japanese soldiers still fighting WWII years after it had ended. There's a real bang of it off this Coronavirus forum. I rarely look at them and it appears I haven't missed much at all. It's still the same people arguing over and over again over the same points. Why? I'd love to see some honest answers. All I can see is a group of people who are addicted to posting here and can't shake the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hindsight is great. A pure gift.

It's now 2023, and it's unbelievable how hindsight creates educated geniuses & experts that hadn't a clue, or a word to say on boards.ie when hospital footage was beamed in from Italy in 2020 along with 1900 deaths.

Should Hindsighter be a new common noun?

"outspoken boards.ie hindsighter claims, on hindsight, there was an overreaction to the Covid virus in Ireland"

"popular hindsighter with lots of thanks on their post on boards.ie says Italy should have known better with hindsight, given what we know now"

"knowledgeable & trailblazing boarsd.ie member hindsighter jumps on to their keyboard to mock nervous 2020 elderly mask wearers who wore masks outdoors given what they know now in 2023"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

^^ There you go, and thank you @hayrabit ! Excellently timed augmentation to my post. Somebody that had nothing to say during the pandemic & now (in hindsight) feels the Italian death count should be taken to the conspiracy theory forum. There wasn't a pandemic! Nobody died.

Well considering the 2017-2018 flu season was considered the most deadly in 4 decades, I'm calling bullshit on your anecdotal evidence again.

Anyone who was unfortunate enough to be in hospital around then will remember well the restrictive measures which were in place in all hospitals, and wards being locked down... but, no lockdown measures publicly.

Do you remember a public lockdown for this flu which would have been considered more deadly that the one that you took 6 weeks to get over from in the 90's, to which you said there would have been a lockdown over? If you do, do please share.

I don't really care about what you want to say about Covid, I pointed out you're talking crap with anecdotal evidence about the flu, and you backed it up with more anecdotal crap evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Indeed the governmental reaction was absolutely unforgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Some irresponsible posting in this thread. Covid remains a threat, if you wish to deny that you are free to do so but equally this unscientific world view doesn't reflect reality. A 2 week lockdown in the summer might be the appropriate antidote to the covid complacency which has been creeping in, if only to remind people how quickly things can change. The fact that people need to be reminded of that after what we've been through is mind blowing to me. We're not out of the woods yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WaterWipes

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We're well out of the woods, so much so that the woods are barely visible in the rear view mirror through the dust kicked up by the car as we drive away from it at speed!

covid complacency...

What about flu complacency?

What about missed cancer diagnosis complacency?

What about dying on your own complacency?

What about all the things that got ignored because the world focused on one health issue to the exclusion of all the other issues that have more chance of killing you than covid???????

Let it go, you're amongst friends, it's OK to come back out into the daylight.

A 2 week lockdown in the summer to punish us for having the audacity to get back to living a normal life, eh?

Jesus wept......

You fishes are really biting tonight

What do you expect, when someone tries to "turn it back on!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That post was obviously a wind up but the scary thing is that there are people out there who actually hold that opinion.

Its chilling that society allowed such people to dictate our lives and take away civil liberties so easily.

Was the death rate twice that of a bad flu?

You also give zero role apparently for the restrictions in mitigating the deaths until vaccines became available.

Have the restrictions been proven to have done more harm than good?

You are making a lot of statements of fact without foundation.

The Hong Kong flu is estimaterd to have killed between 1-4 million in the 1960s when the world population is half what it is today, covid according to WHO about 6 million

There is also no proof that the measures actually prevented any deaths either, they just delayed them and as for more harm than good, all you have to do is look at all the adverse events registers out there.

None of this remotely begins to prove the statements you made.

The covid death toll is still rising and the wide range of the Hong Kong flu estimate should raise a red flag on how valid it is for comparison.

It is not 6 million. That is the figure at a point in time based on confirmed case deaths. It is not established in same way as HK toll.

And that was the death toll as a function of restrictions in place especially until vaccines available.

So you are not comparing like with like. There were no such measures for HK flu or very limited ones.

"All you have to do is look" - nope it is your claim. Onus is on you to substantiate it. So such vague phrasings are weasel words, nothing more.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dolanbaker threadbanned

• Advertisement

Beasty banned from Gardening forum in retaliation

It's perfectly obvious (and always was) that the unlawful so-called "restrictions" increased deaths and didn't reduce them. Never could it have been otherwise. And the injections were not positive either.

More statements of fact presented without evidence. It is obvious when you do so it is because you have none. Dressing it up as 'perfectly obvious' is obvious bluster to conceal this.

The restrictions were unlawful - again you dont even try to explain how. This is not worthy of serious consideration.

And they are vaccines. Call them by their proper name. Calling them injections is an anti vax trope.

Are they not injections? What is false about that statement?

They are vaccines. Why wont you call them by their actual accurate name?

It is false because you are being deliberately vague about them for obvious anti vax reasons.

Your other dig at them that they werent positive is simply medical misinformation without foundation.

The available evidence cited on this forum demonstrates how they reduced severity and deaths from covid. You do not challenge this evidence. You do not provide evidence of your own. Your claims are false.

At the beginning and during the worst of the pandemic I “obeyed the rules” as they say, but it was miserable as I live alone and love going out and about to a moderate extent. It was a time of sacrifice for many, led to some bad consequences too. I’d never want to see the like of it again. I’m glad if it saved lives though.

I was very pro-vax, but have recently developed a progressing disability. On my medical notes, a consultant neurologist comments on the spike of cases like mine following Covid vaccine boosters and underlined heavily the date of booster and that of commencement of symptoms. Of course the vast majority of people get such reactions, but for those who do it can be a lifelong impairment. Personally I won’t be getting another booster, however I’d recommend anyone getting informed from reliable sources and forming their own de unions.

The worst thing about the restricted access to healthcare during the pandemic is the outfall we are yet to realise. Unattended cancers and other serious diseases which haven’t hit the statistics yet, but will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Across the board it was about Covid at the expense of everything else. My father was lucky as his cancer treatment was at a dedicated unit that was not comandeered for Covid use, but the real elephant is the extent lockdown destroyed mental health and livlihoods.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement

hold up, so all these excess deaths aren't from the vaccination itself like I've been told

**Pikachu face***

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Advertisement