Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron DeSantis is "Corrupt as Hell" -- because "Why Not"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What a short temper.

Tried to falsely equivocate talking to the press backstage as taking questions from his voters who had packed the audience hall and awaited answers addressed to them.

He’s back up to the migrant flights again

Meanwhile state republicans are begging immigrants to stay in florida despite the governors new anti immigration bill.

hard to do when purportedly the governor is up to such nonsense.

How is Ron going to turn the whole country into Florida? Is California going to fly their migrants to florida?

apropos to that some might remember there was a Texas Sherriff who launched a criminal investigation at the time- he’s come back with a criminal referral for Ron:

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/06/ron-desantis-texas-sheriff-criminal-charges-migrants

You also might remember his Election Police unit. They arrested a bunch of ex felons for registering to vote etc?

They took a big swerve around 6 previously-convicted sex offenders who then voted illegally in a Republican county. The Republican local prosecutor has decided not to pursue charges. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ron previously fired a democratic prosecutor for refusing to bring prosecutions, can’t wait to see how fast Ron breaks his neck to fire this guy.

Clarence Thomas, Leonard Leo, and Ron DeSantis bear-hugging each other and having dinner together. I’m sure they didn’t discuss further packing of the courts at all.

Florida hands an easy motion to dismiss on the new immigration bill

Lawmaker sat down a bunch of mexican constituents down to explain the bill is "100%" designed to terrorize them, and please don't crash our economy by leaving, we actually need your under the table labor, etc. while praising Governor DeSantis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

No, two dozen (24) nutters turning up with no widespread support out of a population of 320 million, does not constitute the Republican Party or those who supported Trump or DeSantis under it.

This is just a smear by association tactic, and a cheap one at that.

And even if it were 240 nutters, the same logic would apply.

No wonder US politics is so toxic and divisive when this kind of cheap smear is so commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭briany

They certainly shouldn't be representative, but there's a disturbing reticence in recent years for the Republicans' top man to condemn these kinds of people without equivocation. Hopefully DeSantis is quick to distance himself from these kinds of knuckle draggers.

Of course you're the first one in to defend them. Quelle surprise.

Why should anyone bear responsibility for nutters?

If you came to me and demanded that I denounce them, I wouldn't. Not because I support them, but because they are self-discrediting. They're losers, basement-dwelling nutters who don't deserve any attention or consideration at all. Just look at the absolute state of them. 24 people? And DeSantis should hold a news conference condemning them, lest he be a secret supporter? This is ridiculous.

Rather than pointing to nutters, asking everyone to denounce them whilst giving them the free oxygen of publicity, maybe just ignore them and leave them to rot as the minority losers they are.

Any objective assessment of anything I've said on this matter would come to precisely the reverse conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes DeSantis should issue a public statement condemning them.

They are using his name. They are protesting at an organisation DeSantis has targeted. In the state he is Governor of. They are not a random bunch of nutters protesting a random issue.

Any objective assessment of the situation is that silence is tacit approval. And any objective assesment of your posts on this forum is that your post count is heavily towards defence of Republicans. Number of posts with unprompted defenced of Democrats, unprompted criticisms of Republicans negligible versus Democrats.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If there was evidence DeSantis actively supports Nazism; or supports Nazis as part of his campaign; or supports spreading Nazism throughout the US - you'd have a point. He'd need to clarify his position. If you have any evidence of the above, I'd be interested to see it because, up to now, I haven't come across it. Not smear by association, but actual evidence and statements from DeSantis that he somehow supports Nazism.

But this vanishingly small minority of people do not warrant a "public statement" from DeSantis, because he is not responsible for every single person or group who choose - of their own volition - to support the Republican Party.

In the same way that if the same group decided to support the Democrats, no senior Democrat would have to come out with a news conference and public statement to condemn them.

But he seems happy to be supported by Nazis. He seems happy for Nazis to protest in his name against an organisation he has targeted.

If he is anti Nazi now is the perfect time to establish it.

Its not smear by association when you dog whistle to such people and refuse to disassociate yourself from those who claim your name to support their despicable actions.

Where is your evidence that DeSantis "seems happy" (implying that DeSantis covertly supports Nazism)?

You can't throw around phrases like "seems happy", when you don't even know if DeSantis is even aware of the story, let alone know his psychological state about the matter. What information do you have access to about DeSantis' opinion on this story that is denied to me?

Phrases like that are thrown around here like political confetti, because any conflation of DeSantis with Nazism - however bereft of evidence - is met with sheer, uncritical delight.

Uncritically awful, too - and it beclowns any serious debate on this subject.

If he doesnt condemn it then for the reasons outlined it is entirely valid to form that opinion.

And in the year 2023 it would utterly absurd to imagine the governor of the state, a man running for president with a squad of aides and a campaign team isnt going to be alerted to this.

No evidence at all, in other words.

Just sheer speculation masquerading as fact which, by the way, just happens - by pure coincidence - to align with your political opinion of DeSantis to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Another very fine people moment for a GOP ballsack and their supporters in danger of serious spinal injury from grabbing their ankles. Some things never change

You have never speculated on the reaction of a public figure to an event? On what message their reaction or lack of reaction signifies? That is not a credible position. If you disagree well I expect zero speculation in your posts in future.

In the absense of a condemnation then yes, the opinion I have expressed is an entirely valid one to form.

And if DeSantis does come out and condemn them well your comment that it would be ridiculous of him to do so wont have aged well.

How does that substantiate the argument you made against DeSantis - that he somehow supports Nazism?

It doesn't.

It doesn't matter what I've done in the past. Whether I falsely speculated about an iceberg lettuce, you have no evidence to back up your claims. And even if I did make a false speculation in the past, it wouldn't justify you committing the same offense. To argue that if someone doesn't condemn something, they secretly support it - is so far down the logical fallacy tree, I'm almost embarrassed to explain it.

I've never condemned that the moon landings were faked.

If you asked me to do condemn the theory, I wouldn't. But according to you, that means I secretly support it.

If the "Moon Landing was Faked Society" came out in support of DeSantis, the latter - according to your bizarre logic - would have to make a public statement condemning their beliefs, lest DeSantis be accused of secretly supporting the conspiracy theory that the moon landing was faked. DeSantis would be held personally responsible for the words and actions of that society, according to you.

Look, this isn't serious.

It's pretty awful, and it's unbecoming of any serious political discussion about DeSantis.

Yes, what you're saying is popular on a thread that largely hates DeSantis no matter what, but to everyone else it's bordering on the silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

@[Deleted User] Do you think in the year 2023, with everything at stake, that DeSantis has not been made aware of the situation?

• Advertisement

I've no evidence either way about whether a governor of a US state with a population of 22 million people was made aware of a protest comprised of about 24 people causing a nuisance.

I'm not asking for evidence, I'm asking for your opinion, hence why I had the word 'think" in the initial question.

If DeSantis doesnt condemn this then he is happy to be supported by Nazis. He is happy for his name to be used by Nazis to justify their protests.

Silence is tacit approval.

DeSantis has publicly targeted Disney. This is not some random protest of a target with zero connection to previous actions by DeSantis. Therefore to try to compare it to the moon landing is utterly disingenuous. Absolute desperation there.

Evidence matters. And I've answered your question.

We're moving further and further and further away from the truth. First, it was DeSantis is a Nazi. Then, it became DeSantis is likely a closet Nazi supporter. Then it became, we've no evidence he's a Nazi but try to speculate. Now we're told to speculate and hope for the best.

As I said earlier, this isn't serious.

Silence is tacit approval.

No, it's not.

It's a logical fallacy.

Who on the thread said DeSantis was a Nazi in light of this protest?

Please provide evidence with reference to the specific post comment.

DeSantis has been called a fascist many, many times throughout the course of this thread. It's not an uncommon phenomenon either. DeSantis and fascism is almost a meme at this stage.

When DeSantis is being asked to denounce 24 people, lest he be considered a closet fascist - it plays into this same false narrative.

Over the last number of pages, we've seen how absent the evidence base is for this conclusion.

Please provide evidence with reference to the specific post comment.

Now that's ironic.

Hold on a second.

For one thing a fascist is not necessarily a Nazi. And it would be absurd to profess ignorance of the difference.

Secondly, you made a very specific claim.

"First, it was DeSantis is a Nazi."

Who on the thread said DeSantis was a Nazi? Especially with regard to the current situation?

You were unable to support this accusation. It is false. It is without foundation. It demonstrates the hypocrisy of your post bemoaning lack of evidence when you show zero regard for evidence in the false accusations you make.

If you're saying that DeSantis is neither a fascist or Nazi, I completely agree with you.

That was my whole point to begin with. That's the end of our dispute as far as I'm concerned.

You know you did not the answer,

Do you think in the year 2023, with everything at stake, that DeSantis has not been made aware of the situation?

What you said was:

I've no evidence either way about whether a governor of a US state with a population of 22 million people was made aware of a protest comprised of about 24 people causing a nuisance.

I asked for your opinion whether a man running for the American Presidency had been made aware that two dozen white supremacists were outside the main Disney World entrance in Orlando, marching with signs featuring his face, swastikas, the n-word and homophobic slurs.

I mean, I personally think that it would be pretty mad that a few nobodies in Ireland would be aware of the story, but a man running for the presidency of the United States of America didn't know about 24 white supremacists that were outside an organisation that he has been vindictively attacking, while marching with signs supporting him, while displaying swastikas, the n-word and homophobic slurs.

I look forward to you never, ever having an opinion on this site ever again, unless there is evidence backing up whatever you say.

• Advertisement

Don't waste your time, he trotted out the same bullshit the last time Nazis showed up to support Rhonda Santis.

Advertisement