Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The average Irish international isn't making 500k, I also doubt rugby salaries have gone up in the last few years. JIFF rules in France and the Premiership falling apart hasn't exactly applied upward pressure on Irish clubs to pay more.

Do you think Jimmy O'Brien, Joe McCarthy, Ronan Kelleher, Jack Conan, Cian Healy, Ross Byrne etc. are on 500k?

For the record I'm sure Leinster have a large wage bill, in line with the biggest in Europe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Donal Lenihan mentioned a few months ago that the player budget for Ulster, Munster and leinster were all in around 10M and Connacht were 6M

now, ive no idea where he got this info from, im just passing on what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

ruck.co.uk report that the URC Clubs in Ireland have an estimated player salary cap of €7.7 (similar to the English Premiership)

That figure must be excluding the Central Contracts and even then is seems to be massively understated. But anyone trying to compare squad budgets and not including Central Contacts is trying to a but of smoke and mirrors accounting.

An Irish Province must be touching on 40+ players in their squads, €8m/40 = €200k, I'm not buy it at all that Irish provinces are running their squad on €8m

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you get a 50% budget increase for getting promoted, but get battered into oblivion every game, what becomes of your budget when you get relegated again? I can't find any specifics on if the ProD2 salary cap is any different or if the 10.7 million max applies to all pro clubs. You have to honour your staff's contracts, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Definitely not the strongest side the Bulls could have selected.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Where are you getting 11.3? I've seen a few different ones from 10 to 10.7.

7.7 is low even for Ulster i'd say. Its ludicrous for Leinster.

When you look at the rosters of Leinster, Ulster, and Munster that would mean that a lot of players on leinster who are pretty much universally considered to be equivalent or better players than their counterparts in other rosters are getting well well underpaid. Seems unlikely to me.

Unless that doesn't include central deals in which case, leinster would be at 14-15m total.

I'd guess 12-14 but its just a guess. No figures are public.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's all falling nicely for Northampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ribs1234

is it because SA sides don’t get any prize money in semi finals / final or share of the profits? No point competing if that’s true but they need to play this weekend's match. Law of unintended consequences

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Should make a potential semi final easier at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

THat Ospreys jersey yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

It has been reported that the EPCR are going to investigate the Bulls team selection v Northampton. If this is true the hypocrisy is off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bit premature.

What if the Bulls actually win?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Can't see the EPCR being able to do anything about it.

It's common for so many teams to send second or third string teams out in the pool stages that you'd have to punish every team that does it if you're going to do it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

I agree. Utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Depends what they are investigating and what the grounds are; is there suggestion of corruption or a payoff, or is there a breach of contract if teams entering have signed up and committed to not throwing playoff matches?

Pool matches should be treated as a separate type of match.

If any team in the playoffs put out a second string side could there be a public reprimand, or potentially even a points deduction in the following campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But why? A team are free to select who they want. And how on earth do you police that?

If anything it's more egregious in the pool stage as its an uninvolved team that suffers when a team puts a weak selection out.

Quins flying so far

• Advertisement

That's a crazy start in Bordeaux. 0-14 and a YC for the next 10 minutes. Bordeaux have it in them to come back from this, but can't imagine anyone saw this coming.

Quins making ground in midfield for fun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Bad call in the Quins v Bordeaux match. The camera angle from the sidelines showed the ball went through both his hands… I think he was in a realistic position to intercept the ball, he just made a mess of it. Penalty try/YC is harsh imo.

Did Lyon send a full strength team to them last week? I don't think they did but not sure.

Ah I don't think he ever had a hope of getting that ball. Whether he was in a reasonable position is one thing, but he was never going to be able to catch it with his hand positioning. I think a PT is fair.

Ben KAY wanting that given as a penalty lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

it depends on the amount of money the Bulls stand to gain by playing in a quarter final versus playing in a pool match, and what is stipulated in their contract with the EPCR for a playoff match.

The Champions Cup is a product sold for tickets, advertising and TV deals. If a contracted team doesn’t take the playoffs seriously it affects the value of the product. Playoffs are far more valuable matches than pool matches. The question is, are there terms and conditions when teams participate in the competition? If a team selects an entirely second string team in a quarter final there has to be something up. It might be that they are investigating what the reasons are for doing that with a view to corruption. Has a dodgy decision been made by someone and they want to find out who is responsible?

I thought so too until that sideline angle, where it looked like he just mistimed it. It's not the worst call, but I still think it's a harsh one.

The commentary is insufferable. A trip and they describe it as the player "tumbling over".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Did amazing to stop that if it's not a try

• Advertisement

That should be a try.

Advertisement