Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x10- 'The Last Generation' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow that was Awesome. Loved the scale of the D against the Borg Cube and the the Enterprise D inside it and hoovering over them was Awesome too. The Starbase really put up ond hell of a fight.

Great ending. The only thing I did not like was the Titan wing renamed as the Enterprise-G. They should have flew over under her to another ship with a proper full sized saucer that was the G at least that is how I would have done it.

Well I guess Shaw and the Borg are officially no more then at least not going forward anyway.

Has every one watched the after Credits scene? Did not see that coming

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think I'm actually kind of glad that the Borg are dead now. They were my favourite Sci-fi villian for so many years and this ending somewhat makes sense and feels final. Flashbacks and their Legacy sure...but no more trying to reinvent the wheel. I feel they peaked with First Contact, and maybe should have been left alone for a good while after. Certainly not as much as they were used in Voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We always knew Voyager would some day reach Borg space and 8472 was a good story on how to get past.

The later stuff about Janeway being the arch nemesis able to take the whole collective with 1 ship and also 7 being some sort of special drone was utterly stupid and I didn't even finish Voyager because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

About as good as it could have been given the rest of the series. I hope this sends a message as to how to bring back legacy characters, not just in Star Trek, in the future.

There was definitely some cheese but it wasn't overbearing.

On the whole Enterprise G and the name in general. Only the D was ever referred to as the flagship as opposed to other ships that would have served as a flagship i.e., have the fleet's admiral aboard. The D (and NX, I suppose) was the only one that was really top of the line too the others were just regular ships, the B was even a tweak to a 20 year old design when it was launched. Naming it Picard or even Shaw might have been a better in uninverse fit though unless Starfleet also have a rule against naming ships after still living officers. Making it the Shaw could have opened up having a Rios style hologram of Shaw as a way to skirt his death.

Depending on how well the older officers in the rest of the fleet fared Starfleet could be very young now. It reminds me a bit of the situation in the original Gundam series.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Seven and Jack series but either without Raffi or a radically improved version of her and to be fair she was far less annoying in the final two episodes than the other 28.

I think the highest praise I can give this series is, I will rewatch it.

I bet the next show very quickly forgets that "the entire fleet" was at Earth that day.

Also E was top of the line and we don't really know anything about C or F. The TOS Enterprise would seem to have been top of the line too. So it's only A and B that were not top of the line I would say.

I just don't see it being a good idea or necessary to change the name of the Titan at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Enjoyed it overall. Not quite sure about some of the execution in the last episode: people being unassimilated from the Collection through the power of love *again*. Was naff with Borgati in Season 2 and naff but more forgivable (given it was a kid's show) in Prodigy. But overall a much better send off for the TNG crew than Nemesis was and everyone's left in a good place.

I'm less excited for "Legacy". The "Enterprise-G" thing looks really cringe, nothing wrong with having the series set around the Titan. I was looking forward to a Shaw and Seven series. Shaw is a good character in his own right and I especially liked the Riker-Shelby dynamic he had going on with Seven. The whole getting off on the wrong foot but learning to respect each other thing. Seven-Raffi just doesn't do it for me. Also, Seven's excuse for having Jack in the senior bridge officer seat sounds like the role Janeway made up for Naomi Wildeman.

Beverly looked good doing tacticle. She fit right in up there.

Edit: Sorry I read "tacticle" as "tactile" rather than "tactical" on first glance, hence the "Oh my!" reaction 😀

A and E were regular ships, A was even speculated to be a recommision. The D was one of a pair, at the time, of top of the line ships of a brand new class (although logically a precommision USS Galaxy myst have existed then too) which isn't true for any other Enterprise, NX aside, AFAIK. That's wht D got the flagship designation, it was in the premier product sense and not the military sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The more I think about the G renaming, the more of an insult to Shaw it seems like.

Picard/Riker turn up unannounced, attempt to manipulate him, and it's clear that he has disdain and valid criticisms of them and their reputations. They go on to get the ship trashed, boarded, make him and his crew into fugitives, before ultimately getting him killed. And the final indignity, the ship he captained and whose construction he oversaw, is instead renamed to honour those who brought it all that mess down upon him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd hardly call a Soverign class "regular". They were absolutely top line warships if anything and certainly peak tech at the time.

Ronald Moore seemingly said it was the flagship also.

The Defiant was a top of the line warship too but also a regular ship. Flagship I the military sense as in the HQ ship of a fleet or flagship in the top of the line product sense? In First Contact it definitely fit the military sense, Picard assumed command of the fleet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A few glad to see the end of the Borg. How long have you been watching Star Trek guys? Do you really think it's the last we've seen of them?

I thought it was going to be Titan renamed Picard at the end there but somehow they probably thought renaming to the Enterprise was the bigger fan service. When you are in fan service mode it's hard to see the wood for the trees but you can't lose really. Anyway plot holes everywhere you look but ultimately far more enjoyable than the first 2 seasons so kudos for that.

P.S. So JP's new body has a socket in the neck or you can just jam Borg tech. wherever you like to join the collective?

P.S. So JP's new body has a socket in the neck or you can just jam Borg tech. wherever you like to join the collective?

Both Soong-type positronic synths and Borg drones need to come with USB-C connectors. EU directive.

A Borg drone plugging into something is what caused all this mess.

Also I wonder does this whole situation lead to issues with 7 or other XBs ever wanting to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

As for the queen herself, Matalas knew he didn't want to put 68-year-old Krige underneath all the heavy prosthetics. The Borg leader "looks so emaciated and wildly different" than Krige's look in First Contact, the showrunner points out, "but we had to have Alice. It had to be her."

Matalas at least remembers when Krige saw the final rendering of the new Borg Queen. "We shot it and then she saw the footage and was like, 'Oh my God! That's what I look like?'" he says. "It's such a different take that she enjoyed jumping into it."

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They'll at least name a shuttle after him... right... right???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Episode 1 of Legacy should be 7 going back in time Janeway style to save Shaw.

Also should there not be an assimilated future Janeway on that cube somewhere ? Haven't seen Endgame in years so can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

lol Ask the committee! Although, they'll probably just refer it to a focus group. You never know!

Sorry couldn't resist jumping in there.

The Unicomplex exploded in Endgame. In Picard season one it showed the cubes have an Iconinan Gateway type device, presumably that's how the Queen escaped but I might just be thinking in three-dimensional terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Definitely mentioned the Borg assimilated Sikarians or their tech which included the transporter thinge that had a range of 40K. Queen arrives or escapes via that if needs be.

Edit: apparently it's called 'spatial trajector technology'

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm fairly sure that embodiment of the Queen died before she had a chance to use an escape mechanism though (wouldn't have done her any good, she was the first to assimilate the virus).

The pathogen was only supposed to sever the collective wasn't it? I don't think it was supposed to outright kill the Queen.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

Somewhere in the Federation, assuming she's still alive, Dr. Pulaski must be saying "I told you so" about not trusting transporters 😁

What a blast this season was. The cast seemed to be having the time of their lives and it really showed on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shenanigans 90210

Shaw might not be as dead as we're ment to believe!!

S"tar Trek: Picard showrunner Terry Matalas reveals that he and Todd Stashwick have an "AMAZING" plan for Captain Shaw in Star Trek: Legacy."

I think he was the best and most interesting new character from all previous new trek (apart from maybe Pike) so any way they can bring him back I'd be for.

^^^ First Post?

In an interview with Screen Rant, Terry Matalas confirmed that Captain Shaw could still appear in Star Trek: Legacy. Matalas revealed that both he and actor Todd Stashwick have plans for Captain Shaw, despite Star Trek: Picard killing him off. Read Matalas' comments on Star Trek: Picard's shock death, and his cryptic tease for Shaw's return below:

Posted about this in Prior episode thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

You know what, well on board with that idea. One of my favourite Voyager, and 7, episodes was that mad Braxton one where 7 was pulled into the future, to go to the past, to find a future problem episode. Utterly mad, but probably one of the better Trek time shenanigans episodes.

Would not complain at all to see that as a hand wave explanation to bring Shaw back.

Is that the Braxton one that stars that freakasaurus actor Sarah Silverman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Superb episode. Ending with captain 7 on the enterprise G and jack with Q lining us up for another series.

Since the crew know what a good Star Trek is, I'd hope the spin off will continue in the same vein

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity what about this season was good Star Trek ?

Advertisement