Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x10- 'The Last Generation' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 20-04-2023 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Picard 3x10- 'The Last Generation' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well that was a blast! Really enjoyed that episode, and the season overall. Yeah, leaned heavily on the nostalgia, but they did it far better than we could have expected after the previous seasons.

The cube was immense! Has to be one of the most intimidating versions we've seen to date. The queen also was something else to look at. As far as I recall the First Contact concept art had a very similar look, so it was nice to see how they integrated that into the episode. I'm presuming that the issue with the collective goes back to the finale of Voyager and the virus Janeway introduced. Those drones were seriously threatening too, far more so than we got used to seeing of them all lining up in to corridor to be shot down.

I'm going to completely ignore any quite valid comparisons of the D and the Millenium Falcon. Simply because that was absolutely awesome! Doesn't quite work out size wise I think, but it was a pretty cool visual.

Worf and Riker on point with the one liners, "Do you even listen to yourself"! And the weight of the Mekleth was a fun bit, almost as fun as swords are!

Walter Koenig voicing the president was fun. We've had cameos in this season from TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY-and they all pretty much worked, which is a shock. It was a pity that they used the transporter effect from Voyager on the D, but that's a minor thing. I had hoped that they would recommission the D and send it off into the sunset. And honestly that would have been a better idea than making the Titan the G. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, but I have very strong feelings about Raffi being the first officer and Jack being the counseller or whatever. Really detracts from my interest in Legacy.

Maybe it's just me, but I was very disappointed with the end credits scene. I presumed it was a way to get Shaw back after the fact, but more Q...Like it's great that they basically killed off Season 2 and the death of Q nonsense, but not only did it not bring Shaw back, it also sets up Jack as somewhat of a Deus Ex Machina. He gentically inherits the Borg from his father, and now Q....bit much to be honest. Like it's great that there is permadeath of important characters, but why Shaw when it could have been Raffi instead...

Also the signal from the Borg vanishes and all the nano probes go away? Never mind that Jack appears to have had surgery in the 5 minutes he got onto the D.

Look, I've quibbles, a few of them, but that episode was a wild ride and it was a decent send off. The last 10-15 minutes or so dragged out a tad much for me, but in general this was a pretty great season of TV. And one I'll definitely be going back to again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Solid and satisfying enough I thought. No major surprises. I genuinely did not see the post credits scene reveal coming though.

Random thoughts otherwise:

There's a few points that just felt a bit like pandering though, such as the ship renaming, Jack's special position.

I thought for a moment they'd do a Return of the Jedi style escape from the Death Star when they find the beacon, but they managed to keep it different enough.

I liked the body horror cannibalism setup of the queen.

So that Troi/Riker telepathy thing finally gets revisited after 40 years....

I see that the Walter Koenig appearance/Anton Yelchin homage only happened because he's Todd Stashwick's neighbour, who went round and knocked on his door to ask him to do the voice over.

They seem to be keeping Shaw dead, which is unexpected.

They certainly seem to be setting up the Legacy series at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

NAILED IT.

Will need to gather my thoughts and maybe see it again before I can be at all subjective about it but what a lovely curtain call for the TNG crew, and ship. Was a bit of a rocky road to get here but a really satisfying conclusion.

Enterprise D looked magnificent. Could have maybe done without the sequence through the Borg cube, but okay.

Enterprise G is a little... underwhelming. But okay.

The Borg stuff was good. It's not so much a pity that they brought the Borg back again this time, more that they brought them back the other times. This one felt worth it.

The poker game at the end... perfection.

Loved the end-credit sequence. Wasn't expecting that either but happy they're making up for past season's silliness.

So Seven, Rafi, and Jack sitting centre-stage for a new series? Not sure I dig it, but we'll see.

Oh but where the hell was Janeway? Story-wise that seems like an inexcusable omission. Borg queen didn't even mention her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

Decent last episode, but not great. I do welcome the happy ending. If this is to be the last of the TNG era, it's a much nicer way to end than Nemesis. The hinting of a future ''Legacy'' series wouldn't interest me much with the inclusion of Raffi and no Shaw. I bet they regret killing him off, but as it was made about a year ago, there might not have been much they could do to fix it?

Overall, the series was much stronger over the first few episodes, than it was over the last few. The less Shaw was in it, the worse it got really. Bringing back The Borg was lazy. They really should have been able to think of something better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Just finished it. I have few niggles and was also dissapointed with the lack of Janweay, but overall I'm happy. Delighted with Seven's fate as I was afraid she would be sacrificed in order to finish off the queen. I'd be happy top watch her heading up Legacy, provided tht they introduce at least a few stronger characters to the crew.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I’m really really annoyed by the Enterprise G.

For a writing team to nail so much, this was just an awful decision in my opinion.

It was right there. Give them a new Constitutuon III ship. USS Picard. Star Trek Picard.

Instead the give the Enterprise name (and presumably the flagship) to a refit. Not to mention shutting on the Titan’s history. The Enterprise is supposed to be ship if the line. Filled with the best and the brightest.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, give the ship to a captain with no experience (sorry, Seven).

i cannot believe how that one thing overshadowed an otherwise fantastic episode for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Very sentimental !!??

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, the G and Raffi being the first officer were two of the weakest parts of the episode for me also. The Enterprise F has to have had the least screen time of any Enterprise to date!

It was a bit cheap but I didn’t mind it. I don’t think the Enterprise is necessarily the flagship? Or even anything necessarily special (“ship of the line” or whatever)?

Sure the Enterprise A was nothing special in its time and rumoured to have been a rechristened USS Yorktown.

Enterprise B was a yet-another-Excelsior.

So the G is a little lazy maybe but I don’t mind too much. Though I would have preferred to keep the Titan, have that be the show, and have the more powerful Enterprise turning up from time to time for a bit of awe and wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭KurtBarlow

I enjoyed the series but also not the bit about the Enterprise G. So can someone clarify was the Enterprise F destroyed or are there 2 enterprises now? It doesn't make sense for the newest Enterprise to be technology to be very limited as the titan is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Enterprise F was scheduled for decommisioning already, hence why Shelby was commanding it for it's send-off.

They mentioned that it was going for “early” (little too convenient) decommissioning. I suppose we don’t really know how long it has been in service or it’s history, could have been a while

i think Shelby said it while the ship was coming out of space dock in episode 9. And/or it was written on a screen somewhere. Definitely mentioned though.

Post edited by eadrom on

rumoured to have been a rechristened USS Yorktown

According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia (4th ed., vol. 2, p. 509), "Roddenberry reportedly suggested the second USS Enterprise-A, launched at the end of Star Trek IV, had previously been named USS Yorktown since it seemed unlikely that Starfleet could have built a new Enterprise so quickly. If this was the case, the Yorktown may have made it safely back to Earth and been repaired and renamed, or perhaps there was a newer, replacement Yorktown already under construction at the time of the probe crisis."

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

They actually did it…they stuck the landing…and that ending had me smiling for most of it. Final-f*cking-lee a season of Trek I might actually re-watch…for fun!

As for the Trek show they seem to be implying at the end there? I’d think I’d watch that. If they can remember what made this season of Picard work and keep that going then I’m hopeful. Begone with that Discovery nonsense, and onwards with a new Trek story in the world we all remember and love.

The one they're setting up is tentatively called Legacy. I'm not as optimistic as I was thinking Shaw would be on board. I'm not convinced that Seven alone is enough of a character and history to anchor the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah, this will be the first star trek show since the 90s l that I will re-watch.

As for the spinoff, if it happens. I'd give it a go, but with the inclusion of Shaw, it would have really been something to look forward to.

The Enterprise G thing doesn't really bother me, but I liked the Titan as it was. Cool ship and name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,686 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I need to think about it to be honest...

The whole Titan/Enterprise-G thing annoyed me. I'm with FutureGuy above on that one and how it could have been handled.

The post-credits scene was interesting. I like Jack as a character/actor so I've no problem with Q taking an interest in Jean Luc's offspring, presumably to keep an eye on him given the last scenes they had in S2

Seven and Raffi though - not a fan. Raffi just needs to go away 3 seasons ago. Seven isn't strong enough to carry a show.

But I do really need to think about the resolution to the Borg plot and how it was handled. Will need a rewatch but my initial reaction is disappointment after the promise of the end of the previous episode - we didn't even get a "Captain's log" from Jean Luc from the bridge of the -D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some nice moments in the quieter parts (Geordie and Data congratulating each other got me) but mostly just shte action scenes and a shte plot. It's a pity because the last 2 episodes could have made a good movie if not for the 8 pointless ones of the terrible Vadic.

Millennium Falconprise was absolutely stupid.

They renamed the Titan the Enterprise G dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Raffi can't even fekin say 1701 correctly.

Whoever wrote that scardy cat cook character has obviously never worked with a chef 😁

Why did a museum piece Enterprise even have torpedoes ?

Was anyone else more choked up seeing Shaw than any other scene ?

Also what part of the ship is Jacks quarters in. It's always full of dust and is being blasted with a high power search light

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was just brilliant through and through from the very start with the changed intro to the Enterprise flying through the cube to the big space battle (must have cost a fortune for all the CGI) and to the circling final shot

It's a fitting end to TNG and on to the next...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good episode, enjoyed that.

Agree with the lame Enterprise-G stuff.. hardly flagship stuff.

Great appearance of Q. very fun ending.

@_Kaiser_ The post-credits scene was interesting. I like Jack as a character/actor so I've no problem with Q taking an interest in Jean Luc's offspring, presumably to keep an eye on him given the last scenes they had in S2

Q quips that he had hoped "the next generation" would not think so linearly.

Can not find the site where it was theorized that it is a younger version of Q that Jack meets. So prior to his season 2 end.

Edit: - it was posted in the Continuity section of the wiki linked earlier

^^^ USS Titan-A now redirects to the above link.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ok so my brother is of the opinion that the Enterprise G rename was a way to increase the chances of Legacy being made. Hard to argue with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Where's Laris ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Excellent finale.

Q looking better than last season and not as old. I know he was sick but this looks more than that the same way even Picard seemed less old this season.

Was a weird shot having Rafi, Seven and the girls on the viewscreen. And wouldn't she be Captain Nine?

Considering we hear the "Signal interrupted. Execute last command" shouldn't the borg possessed ones still have continued the attack after the cube was destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked a lot of it. Great send off for the TNG crew.

Enterprise doing the Death Star run was a bit.....a ship that size.....you get the idea. But still, looked class.

Titan as the Ent-G? Not sure about that. Unless it gets some brilliant upgrades.

raffi as no.1 ah fcuk off with that.

BRING BACK SHAW YE CLOWNS!!

Q still alive? Good. Definitely setting things up for that Legacy show.

Music was awesome

Visuals were stunning.

Is the Ent-F not decommissioning early?

Some of the lines were very good.

They ended up doing a good job with the Borg, still not sure how the cube snuck into Jupiter and no one noticed.

Seems Starbases are built like fcuk.

Deathtoll from this episode must be catastrophic .

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Where the hell is Orla Brady FFS?

I don't mind a ship that size turning like that in space, to be honest. Never bought the whole slow moving cruiser that can travel at warp 9.6, or can use impulse engines to move at a, restricted, 0.25c. There is huge momentum shifting power in theose impulse engines and have been shown to have immediate high levels of thrust.

Rafi actually didn't bother me once they dropped the forced angst.

They'll need to somehow revive Shaw. They've made a monumental error here

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Enjoyed that overall as a kinda fanfare goodbye.

Felt there was too much story to cover in the fight and especially the Borg parts so it all felt a bit rushed and underwhelming. Especially the father-son rescue arc. Just too much packed into too little.

The nostalgia feels though, everything and everyone was there and felt good.

The special effects were all brilliant.

Biggest feels of the episode, I'd have to give to Shaw commending Seven. The whole season arc for them all came together and that really impacted.

Seven in charge of the ship felt solid. Enterprise G eh 🙂

Beverly looked good doing tacticle. She fit right in up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

A definite dose of BOBW there, though I probably would have preferred that they didn't end by basically replicating AGT's ending, but rather have the final scene in 10 forward with a bit of Klingon Karaoke and Dad dancing out of Picard.

Jesus but Starbase One can take a hell of a beating.

The Riker and Worf lines were great. I had several belly laughs at those ... especially "Do you even hear yourself?" 🤣🤣🤣

Let's not go there with the Death Cube fly through by a massive starship ... it looked great, but was completely ridiculous ... and especially the handbrake turn to pick the lads up before the escape.

Considering how wimpy the Titan was in the earlier episodes, I was a bit disappointed that it now bears the Enterprise name.

I dunno about the Q thing as being part of the future possible series ... de Lancie is 75 FFS.

I think 7 deserves the chance at being a Captain and I would watch a show with her as the lead, but let's lose Raffi, please.

Overall though I did enjoy the episode and the whole season was a massive improvement over the previous two completely forgettable ones.

• Advertisement

Imagine that this was the 1st season 😭

Advertisement