Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game / GAAGO [Split from RTE thread]

Options
124»

Comments

The license fee versus commercially derived income, plus advertising as mentioned by icdg above. RTE gains from all three. Sky only from the from the last two. I think there's a conflict of interest due to RTEs PSB obligations which isn't a factor with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

Your first point was that RTE had two income streams and Sky only had one. Now its three versus two.

What in your opinion is the conflict of interest with their PSB obligations? Are they not meeting their obligations?

It's a common theme on social media that when RTE don't show something that some people want to see on television that people state that they're not meeting their public service remit. Particularly re sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

I have no interest in sport, but I wonder how much, some of the people arguing the issue here, pay to Sky to watch PL football. I for some reason got an offer last winter for GAAGO, I could be wrong but I think the cost was just short of 60euro, for an annual subscription.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It was, an early bird offer of €59 for a season ticket before New Years Eve (I think, could have been St Stephen’s Day). That also got you the bonus coverage of BBC NI league figures that were relegated to iPlayer and so weren’t available on linear here.

The pricing is not the issue it was made out to be, if you paid for a season ticket. Full price for Sky Sports and Sports Extra would cost you €80 per month, on top of your basic sub (unless you are on Now).

Sorry, my mistake.

But what actually is RTE? Is the PSB side dominant, or is the impetus on the commercial/advertising side? I honestly don't know. We seem to have a murky opaque hybrid entity that doesn't have a clear vision of what it wants to be. Theres an opportunity now to sort it out IMO. Personally I would like the PSB side of things to take the lead and push things forward. If that means a smaller RTE doing less commercially orientated things, then so be it.

@decor58 If you signed up before 31 December it was €59 I think. If GAA Go is going to continue I'd like to see them offer a hurling or a football only package in addition to one showing both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If GAA Go is going to continue I'd like to see them offer a hurling or a football only package in addition to one showing both

That's been my comment for the last 3 or 4 years. I've no interest in football so it was way too expensive for the amount of hurling games I watch.

Well the reality is if RTE becomes smaller and more public service orientated it will be showing less sport not more.

I take it then you'd have no issue with paying for games on GAAGo if RTE weren't involved. This seems to be your main concern?

Yes, I have no issue with GAA Go if it was an entirely standalone entity. I actually ended up listening to alot of football commentaries over the summer on independent local radio. They get knocked a fair bit over their overall content, but their GAA coverage is excellent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

It could be in the future that all games in the GAA will end up behind a paywall.

Fair enough but GAA said the reason they went with a partner is that they've no expertise in broadcasting.

I do get though that it could be a lot cleaner. It shouldn't have needed an Oireachtas committee hearing for an explanation as to how games are picked etc. A bit of transparency might have bought them more goodwill. GAA members should be provided with more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

If GAAGO were to go it alone who would supply the equipment, cameramen, commentators, who covers that cost, would the GAA set up a separate company, invest in equipment, train staff, the logistics of it, how many matches would/could they cover, would they keep the best matches for themselves, what would free to air be left with. The whole PSB model is under pressure everywhere, what do they do to survive/compete. We used to have a national airline, train services, postal services, electricity supply, many of these services were state/public run, around the world, many have been privatised or face commercial operators.

Nemeton TV handle the OB infrastructure for TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

MOD:Deleted. No relevance to this thread and made personal comments on named persons.

Pretty sure the OB is outsourced for RTE and GAAgo too. The days of RTE providing cameras are gone.

The GAA say they don't have the expertise which is a fair enough claim. The flip of that is that they could obtain that expertise from another source instead of RTE.

Other than it clearing up a potential conflict of interest I'm not sure what it achieves. There'll still be x amount of games on FTA and y amount on GAAGo until a second TV company buys the rights.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TVM.ie seem to handle a lot (maybe all?) OB games for RTE/GAAGO

Competition Authority to investigate GAA Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

While I am delighted to hear it, if they were doing there job they would have done it at the start of the season not at the end.

Something of a left field one but GAAGO have picked up the rights (presumably for free) to show three Pittsburgh Steelers pre-season games and will stream them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When i first read the headline which says GAAGO to screen pre Season NFL games i taught they where talking about the O Byrne or Mckenna cups!

Seemingly an announcement from GAAGO on 2024 coverage on Monday, in the meantime all subs continue up till the start of the Championship season.

No news of an early bird offer for next year. But those who took up the €59 offer will have gotten great value in that they’ll have gotten the 2023 bonus coverage of BBC NI games on iPlayer and presumably there’ll be the same again in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

38 Live games €69 is the offer that runs to December 31st

Sorry to all Cork hurling fans, a record 3 games this year, and they are big ones!

21 April

MSHC: Waterford V Cork

28 April

MSHC: Cork V Clare

4 May

MSHC: Waterford V Tipperary

LSHC: Wexford V Galway

11 May

MSHC: Cork V Limerick

LSHC: Carlow V Kilkenny

18 May

LSHC: Dublin V Kilkenny

26 May

Unnamed Leinster Hurling Fixture

Football fixtures below

6 April

CSFC: London V Galway

7 April

CSFC New York V Mayo

14 April

LSFC: Kildare V Westmeath / Wicklow

20 April

MSFC: Kerry V Cork / Limerick

27 April

USFC: Fermanagh / Armagh V Down / Antrim

28 April

LSFC: Kildare / Westmeath / Wicklow V Louth / Carlow / Wexford

LSFC: Dublin / Longford / Meath V Offaly / Laois

18 May

Round Robin SFC Rd 1 and 2 games.

Tailteann Cup Rd 2 game.

25 May

Round Robin SFC x 2 games

1 June

Round Robin SFC RD 2 x 2 games

Tailteann Cup Rd3 game

8 June

Tailteann Cup preliminary Quarter finals x 2 games

15 June

Round Robin SFC Rd 3 x 2 games

16 June

Round Robin SFC Rd 3 x 2 games

22 / 23 June

AISFC Preliminary Q-Finals x 4 games

29 June

AISFC Q-Finals x 2 games

Interesting one is that the Govenment are consulting on extending the “Crown Jewels” list to all GAA senior intercounty knockout fixtures from the provincial finals on. What I suspect that may mean from a GAAGO POV, if it comes to fruition, that the fixtures will be rejigged so that even more league phase games go on GAAGO. So if it happens, expect GAAGOs fixtures to concentrate heavily on the provincial hurling championships and then the All Ireland Football group stage - as to a certain extent they already do. Mind you I fear this one may be open to challenge as they are stretching the definition of “event of major importance to society” quite a bit to suggest that the provincial football finals (from which both winner and loser go through!) fall into that category.

Championship beginning today (although the hurling league hasn’t actually finished - the final is tonight).

RTE fixtures here:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0329/1440759-monaghan-cavan-to-start-rtes-gaa-championship-coverage/

BBC fixtures here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/68728052.amp

GAAGO fixtures two posts above.

Advertisement