Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game / GAAGO [Split from RTE thread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Watching the Rossie/Mayo game today the camera work was shocking. I know the weather was a factor but even the rain on the camera is there nothing they can do to clean the lens or is it just because they are setup on a open terrace and not a closed in stadium?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The OB on that game was handled by TVM though it doesn't answer your query why they didn't wipe the lens, etc.

TVM appear to do many of the OB's for games, not sure if they do them all?

In the photo the camera beside the scoreboard looks pretty exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

Depending on the shot and focal length, the rain drops will be more or less noticeable, but its driving rain straight into the lens, you'd want wipers going constantly, a quick smear of a damp cloth is going to get you one second. Wipers only a thing on unmanned or cctv cameras.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

May have been just me but there seemed to have been a sound sync issue on NY v Leitrim, at least on the RTE Player.

Also not sure why but they’ve applied a wierd lens effect to the Sunday Game’s opening titles.

• Advertisement

Sound sync issue on tv players is very common. Not as noticeable on match commentary, but when you go to the panel at half time, it's desperate. It's there in live player streams also, I watch the live VM2 sport on their player rather than broadcast because it's HD, but it can be difficult to watch the punditry when they're literally speaking out of the sides of their mouths, with quarter to half second lip sync errors. Brian Kerr looks really funny especially.

No i watched that the sound was about 15/20 seconds behind the play on rte 2

On the GAA theme, RTE promoting GAAGO on the Late Late tonight. I just have a real problem with RTE using license fee payers money to promote a fully commercial, pay per view/subscription service. Especially how hard they went against games being under the Sky paywall. But paywalls are okay now as long as the money is going ro RTE…

...Money going to RTE...

Are RTE running this venture for the GAA? If RTE is commercially involved, I'm OK with that, more income means better programming and drama. With the soccer, LOITV could do with a professional partner, their own product is very low quality. Otoh, Shels Rovers match on Rte2 last night was great sport, literally, and the almost completed (and full) Tallaght stadium presents a sudden shift in what LOI can be, a claustrophobic buzzy, exciting, noisy stadium event that is so attractive to watch, (no visible chip vans behind the corner flags). There's a quantum commercial shift in Irish soccer I hope, it can only be good for the standard of the game. (Duffer going ballistic at ALL Shels matches is my favourite bit). Bring it on.

It’s a 50/50 joint venture between RTE and GAA but what I can see is operationally run by RTE. The games they’ve shown so far (all on a “whistle to whistle” basis) use the standard RTE Sport graphics just without the RTE logo, as if it were a world feed. Maybe that will change with the fully produced games (with pre and post game coverage) that they’ll be showing. But that games I’ve seen would be easily recognised as an RTE Sport production which is itself problematic.

I just think there should be a clear separation between PSB and fully commercial, taxpayers money should not be going to subsidise or advertise a service that requires payment of an additional sub on top of the license fee. At least Sky have always been fully up front that they are a commercial operation, they’ve never pretended to be anything else.

• Advertisement

Rte have always been allowed to operate commercially. Their income from their cut of the licence fee barely covers their news service. That is PSB and we're all the better for it, unless you think Fox news and GB news are more desirable models for trustworthy comment. Will this GaGo be carried within Player? I don't see why not. That would be beneficial to both parties, as the footfall for either content passes the door of the other. There's an income stream on the free player content anyway with the embedded ads. I've no problem watching free content on some platforms that have paid content offered beside it. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think GAA GO and URC TV should exist as separate to RTÉ but that whatever RTÉ are putting into those service must be value for money and both must earn a dividend for RTÉ to produce public service content on RTÉ.

It seems to me that GAA and Rugby are putting in the rights, while RTÉ are putting the packages together, I assume that this is valued at 50/50 and RTÉ share the sales.

However, IMO, I would have launched both as one service rather than as 2 separate sporting services and would have included LOI TV, though RTÉ have moved away from LOI TV.

I don't see a full market for GAA and URC alone, and they could have expanded their sporting rights.

They should also have both available as addons to SKY Glass, SKY Stream, Amazon Prime, Apple TV and NOW.

Anyone know how this coverage is working for Clubs and Pubs around the country.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

€150 a year for a GAA club, €300 a year for all other commercial premises.

GAAGO: Passes & Bundles

Will pubs have to chromecast or is there another method for them

Android, Ios devices plugged in to TV or casting to it. Also via Smart TV browser and gaago.ie. Android app is not compatible with Android tvs, (Sony, others). There's an App for Apple TV box, which I've just discovered on my ageing but perfect Apple device. There's no app for Samsung TVs, LG TVs, or Firestick, but you can use the browsers on these (except most Samsung) to open the web page gaago.ie and play directly on TV without casting from a phone or plugging in a device. Heres the Web page on my Sony android via a browser app on the TV. I assume if I click and pay the €2 I can watch the matches listed.

This is the interface from plugged in Apple TV box. Impressive, simple.

Is that a native tvOS app? The iOS app is terrible, I’m afraid.

The trouble for commercial premises is keeping their TV’s in sync, but there are solutions.

With Prime Video they take temporary satellite space and Sky commercial EPG listings for major sporting events (Premier League in the U.K. and previously Autumn Internationals).

Yes, its on an Apple TV box from, 2016? New unopened in box till about two years ago. It works really well, sumptuous quality, the free years sub was active despite its age, and there's a decent amount of free content. VM player works well also in HD. I've not streamed anything on the GaaGo app, I'm not a Gaa fan except the big finals. I suppose I could blow €2 on a Catchup match for research. I thought they might play in teaser mode, the intro etc., then a big 'INSERT €2' sign, or electronic equivalent.

I’ve split the GAA posts off from the RTE thread.

I see the league games involving Ulster teams (presumably the ones for which BBC was host broadcaster) are marked “Free” (I didn’t think they were when they originally aired) so you might be able to play them.

According to the GAA Go website if i am reading it correctly there is now an app to download for TV

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did anyone hear Father Frank O’Grady on liveline yesterday.

He is the priest who met President Joe Biden in Knock - a lovely man.

Joe asked Father Frank about GAA and he was so knowledgeable and savvy.

Joe said it would be a lovely gesture if the Sunday Game had Fr Frank on their panel.

It would be a nice touch to do this.

Come on RTÉ!

• Advertisement

No, I can’t see that, the suppprt section seems to infer that there are no smart TV apps.

Mind you it doesn’t mention the existence of the Apple TV app (which I was unaware of until the poster above posted screenshots) and I’m given to understand there might also be Roku and Fire TV apps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

GAAGO app is now on the appstore on Amazon Firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Six games live on GAAGO, two on RTE and one on the BBC this weekend. That’s more live GAA games on TV in a single weekend than I can ever remember.

Apparently the “full production” games on GAA GO will have their own graphics and look rather than using the RTE Sport graphics as has been the case up to now.

GAAGO’s match graphics debuting with Sligo v New York, very URC inspired scorebar at the bottom centre of the screen, a first for Gaelic games I think.

I am watching it via the web browser on a LG tv if they get the app to the tv same as disney etc i would be happy out

The pre-game for Galway v Wexford has started and actually it looks quite nice, taking some things from Sky and RTE and trying other things differently. One thing I’ll miss from Sky is the AFL style scorebar though with the total points. You’d hope some things tried here will carry through to RTE’s now quite tired presentation. Incidentally Kerry v Tipp has RTE Sport graphics still.

I have to say i am happy enoght with GAAGO so far. Next year could we see it expanded to cover league games etc?

They did, unexpectedly carry some league games, ones which were being broadcast by BBC iPlayer and otherwise geoblocked in NI.

The one thing I would say is that it may be creating an unrealistic expectation that all intercounty fixtures be broadcast. I was really surprised to see nine games between GAA Go, RTE, and BBC on TV last weekend. I’m just not sure there is the resources to keep that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Clare V Tipp stuck away on GGA GO and expecting people to shell out an extra €12.00 , not a chance. I bet Limerick V Clare goes the same way next weekend.

This will be the death of Hurling and we complained about sky??

Advertisement