Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Play resumes on Table 2, thanks mainly to Olivier Marteel. A lot of people wouldn't go near a protester for a number of reasons, but he was having none of it. A nurse from Belgium who referees snooker matches in his spare time, really cares about the sport, legend of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the group behind this stunt tweeted about it and said they poured orange powder on the tables, which isn’t true, and one reply suggested they try it at a boxing event next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would say the authorities will make an example out of these clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think they came out of the front row and hopped the advert hoardings.

So that probably means they bought up Century Club tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Those protestors deserve to be flogged and stocked on a public street for their little stunt at The Crucible this evening.

I honestly don't understand the motive in how this incident had to be played out on a snooker table of all places. I really don't get it at all.

Doing stuff like this does not get more people out to protest. It actually degrades the intention of your cause to increase your movement.

It ruins the spectacle of what is meant to be the biggest high profile snooker tournament in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probation act here… but I’d something a tad more consequential over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What were they protesting about? (I didn't turn on until 8pm so missed it).

Gobshites anyhow by the sounds of it!

Fan playing a blinder here, a bit of a relief after watching Grace earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The Just Stop Oil people seem to be the eccentric, wishy-washy, idealistic, middle class types. I don't think there is any talking sense into them they are brainwashed. I just hope yer man is not a snooker fan or that would be an embarrassment to snooker fans everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Was watching this live.

The “just stop oil” crowd are mainly middle class cult believing yobs.

Only real way to stop these antics is to make one monumental fine to theirs/families bank balance via the court system.

What happened today was disgraceful but how far are these freaks going to go if they are let continue. Next they’ll be physically harming people if they are not ripped out by the root.

• Advertisement

Just watching Fan on that long red there, he is very left eye sighted and cues directly under his left eye.

A bit like Graham Miles used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

hope Mark Allen goes postal in his post-match interview !! 🤣🙂

disgraceful carry on what won't stop unless these fools are brought to justice 😒☹️

Allen been well poor by his standards tho - save for his ton, and that excellent 'SOTC' contender with that long deep-screw red early on in session

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

The sponsor, Cazoo, sell cars, hence the connection with oil. The ironic thing is that lots of people were urging snooker to diversify its sponsorship away from gambling in case of future bans on gambling advertising, like what happened when snooker ran into problems after the ban on tobacco sponsorship. But nobody disrupted snooker tournaments as far as I know because of tobacco and gambling sponsorship. I suppose gambling and smoking do less damage to the planet overall, so I can sort of see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Watched the end of the Allen match - he seemed to be struggling with his game still, was out of position a lot. I initially thought it was because the protest had affected the table then I saw in the post-match section that it was the other table that was affected, so I guess he's just not in top form. Another early exit I think unless he can get it together.

Also saw some of Williams game, he seemed to be playing fairly well. I'd forgotten (until it was mentioned in the commentary) how close he came to making the final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Shaun Murphy the James Corden of the Snooker World and just as dislikeable. I'm sure Mark Allen will be waiting to get revenge on the tweet below 😀 Noticed he is also doing commentary for the BBC. He really shouldn't be until he has been knocked out of the tournament imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Shaun Murphy, the man who was calling for players to have a frame docked when they arrived late.

What a plonker.

Allen has started commentating while he is in tournament as well you know. According to Allen it gives him a different focus and helps him relax.

Allen continued on and got a century when play resumed on their side of the crucible. On Eurosport they were calling it the longest century in history.

I think Allen just did what he was supposed to do and match played Fan. Allen has Bingham next. My theory is that these tough games will battle harden Allen so he is ready if he goes deep in the tournament.

--

By the way I initially thought the clapping/standing ovation on the resumption was spontaneous. But it was far from spontaneous. Off live camera MC Rob the Walker urged the crowd 'to show the world we will not be stopped'. And he requested a standing ovation for the players.

See link below

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think Allen just did what he was supposed to do and match played Fan. Allen has Bingham next. My theory is that these tough games will battle harden Allen so he is ready if he goes deep in the tournament.

I think Bingham will fancy his chances in that match. He needs to get to the semis to stay in the top 16 and unlike Allen he loves the longer matches (though dropping out of the top 16 isn't the disaster it was when the rankings were set in stone for the next season).

• Advertisement

It will be close alright, I think Allen seems ready to 'dig in' this time. Hard match to call though, could be a last frame decider job.

Noppon looks like he threw away a chance to go 5-4 behind. Let Lisowski off the hook a bit. Lisowski leads the session 6-3.

Gary Wilson walloping his practice partner Sellsor. Gone 7-1 already with a century after 90's. Contest looks over.

Allen chatting in studio about his previous nights match v Fan.

McGill should have stuck with 'This Charming Man' for his music. It was up there as the best walk on music.

He's moved down to Lionel Richie since, a backward step.

I noticed Willo had 'Delliliah' back yesterday. Good man.

Hair metal maybe?

I was just thinking, that there is a lot of focally challenged snooker players in this years world championship - there definitely won't be many brylcream sponsorships.

Fair play to McGill some battler. Trump has some fight on his hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Going over old ground here, but my God, Phil Yates absolutely does my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Milkins getting a thumping. He has played some really poor shots, pots, positionally and safety wise, again as I type, several inches short when under no pressure…. Surrendered some really great positions and chances but he should win the last….

In no man’s land again, needing a colour and a red.

• Advertisement

Slessor has battled well tonight, considering where he was 7-1 down

Advertisement