Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options
1555657585961»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Time to unsubscribe from the thread, methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

You really don't like Selby. I think the term you were looking for was "sportsmanship ".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

What's the big deal about exiting the thread . Are we closing the internet ?😁

I used the term 'shot clock' jokingly but you can't argue that what ebdon was doing v O'Sullivan was unsporting

Referees should be clamping down it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Throw a prime Ronnie and a prime Higgins and a prime Selby and a prime Williams in Davis' and Hendry's eras and see how much Davis and Hendry dominate!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not a lot but sport evolves

Put a current man city and refs in against a 70s Leeds United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I actually think Davis gets a raw deal these days.

He was number one for 7 years.

He won a final 18-3

He was really the first player to bring snooker to a new level.

He deserves way more respect than one he gets.

A TRUE sporting legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think he gets the respect he deserves. 3rd best player ever. Set in stone.

I guess having the two most entertaining players ever in his era didn't help him on the popularity front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Correct I really don't like Selby, but, I do admire his tenacity, he's an extremely talented player, one of the best ever and brilliant over the long distance matches, but his constant gamesmanship is very tiring after awhile, almost all the top players engage in some gamesmanship at some time or other especially when not playing well or trying to stop another players momentum, but Selby over does it, sometimes needlessly drawing out frames just to get under the opponents skin.

Davis set the standard. Others then bettered the standard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Davis once said if Graham Dott played in the 80s he'd dominate, and the standard is so high now etc etc. Everything is the best now.

They do it to promote the game. Surely you don't believe Davis really thinks Dott would hold a candle to him at his peak?

Hendry does be at it now on TV, saying Ronnie is the best ever etc. No chance Hendry believe Ronnie was better than him.

It's about trying to promote a struggling game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Why? It's often about styles. People tend to dismiss players of yesterday, for various factors, as the potting standard wasn't as high. They ignore the style of different players. Talent doesn't inherently improve from generation to generation, external factors do.

Trump knocks centuries in for fun. Put him under pressure in a world final or semi, and he can hardly string one together under pressure.

Davis, moreso than anyone, thrived under pressure, and if you didn't close the frame, never missed when stealing frames.

His tactical style of play would cause problems for players of any generation

Davis had the all around game to beat any man ever. He really was the first player of the 1980s to separate himself from everyone else. Where I think he’d struggle with the greats of today and recent years is their slightly better ability/naturalness at break building and cue wizardry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Crafty Ken out of the Senior championship 3-0. A Hendry/Doherty quarter final would have been nice, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

The problem Davis had is that Hendry grew up watching him and had developed a game that was designed to beat him. Hendry had to deal with the same problem a decade later. Both players were probably a bit stubborn as well, refusing to accept they needed to evolve to continue winning big titles. The fact that Hendry retired at 43 suggests his motivation wasn't there when he stopped winning tournaments regularly.

To an extent O'Sullivan is a pioneer in terms of longevity in Snooker. Despite his talent he wasn't as good as Davis/Hendry in his 20's but has been far superior in his 30's/40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The difference for Davis and Hendry from the others is that they were used to dominating, had won everything multiple times and by the end of their respective reigns, they were regarded as the greatest ever and probably thought their records were untouchable, so once they stopped winning the motivation wasn't really there, as they had nothing left to prove. O'Sullivan by contrast hadn't fulfilled his potential in his twenties or early thirties, so still had it all to prove, even now most would say O'Sullivan hasn't really fulfilled his potential.

Advertisement