Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tues 11th/ Weds 12th April 2023 strong winds, warnings likely.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Maybe also it's not named because winds will be at their severest between 5 and 8am so pretty shortlived but could be a lot of power outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The winds forecast for the east coast haven't materialised, at least in South Wicklow. We were forecast to have 80-90 kmph gusts peaking around now but it's not even hitting 70 as far as I can tell. Windy, but certainly nowhere near yellow level about 15km from the coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big squally hail shower just went through here near Tralee and plenty more to come overnight, a few sferics off the Kerry coast. Rough night in store in Kerry, been a while since we have stuck all the phones, tablets and batteries on the chargers . Temperature dropped about 2.0C in the hail shower to 4.3C

The storm with no name 😀 taking shape and aim. I see the 528dam line is set to be over us too tomorrow for a time, could see a trace of white on the mountains on the way home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hailstones and sleet in Galway. Car showing 4C.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

5c average in east Galway all day with driving relentless rain and wind is starting to pick up now. Went walking dogs earlier. Got soaked to the 4 bones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A very noticeable drop in temperature, to 5C now. Some heavy showers with sun in between.

Not too windy yet though, just a bit blustery.

Cork city centre.

Those winds tomorrow for Sligo will be over 110kph so could be branches and some trees down.

Gone to 4c here too. Just cold rain so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy rain/ hail / sleety showers in west cork. Calm enough when they pass, but very strong winds when they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Pockets of snow showing up on the radar in the SW.

Wind gusts a shade over 105kph in lahinch tomorrow. Somewhere will probably breach 120kph. Outside chance of 130kph but depends on the low evolution .

Sligo is forecast to be this windy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some damaging gusts possible tomorrow according to Met Eireann. It's feel quite raw this evening.I usually go for a late night walk, I am going to have to wrap up well for this one tonight.If only this was two months ago we could have heavy snow, instead of hail and sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had to go out in the garden about 830 to feed the bees. A noticeable drop in temperature and sleet on the ground.

Had been in the chicken run most of the day and felt the temperature dropping steadily.

Sleet falling as I write. Heard thunder earlier in the evening.

North Kerry 168m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

There was a slight dusting on Nephin Mountain in Mayo after some of those squally showers this evening. There was certainly some some sleet in them here at lower levels.

Might see some NW counties have their warnings upgraded.

On Wednesday the very windy day will extend countrywide, as strong to gale force and gusty westerly winds quickly veer north to northwest with some severe or damaging gusts possible, especially in the northwest.

cork added to the orange warning. How is this not named.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Her name's gale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I see it's a red warning on the Kerry coastline.

Definitely a day for the beach .🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

In Killarney tonight and in a weird (weather) way am looking forward to this. Usually in North Wexford things are not as bad. Very wet day here today however. Is it to as wet tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It looks really stormy in the Southwest at 5am, for a couple of hours. You would imagine any showers passing through at the time could pack quite a punch with damage likely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement

GFS AND UKMO showing stronger winds now later into the morning in the SW, warnings might need to be extended. UKMO can overdo it and probably is too high here, even ICON is not as strong , that would be clear Red for kerry for a time if it were correct but it is going against the average I reckon but good to note for verification purposes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I know the Orange warning is for the Marine but when you look at the Orange it goes all the way into Galway City so how does that work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Expect a rapid increase in wind speeds over west Munster around 0400h peaking around 0600h. As the complex low moves further east, a slack gradient over much of Ireland will gradually be replaced by a strong NW flow, but it may take several hours to ramp up tomorrow morning and will reach maximum intensity mid-day. If you are in any part of Ireland except west Munster, and you feel that the storm has failed to materialize, it will be because you are still in that slack gradient between two centres of low, one over the southeast and the other set to develop over Ulster. Meanwhile west Munster will slowly see those peak gusts (probably close to 120 km/hr) gradually moderating all day but only to levels similar to what the rest of the country will reach, so that at some point early afternoon all regions will be seeing roughly equal gusts in exposed locations at least (and those around 100 km/hr). Some enhancement likely where terrain channels a northwest wind flow.

I mentioned in my forecast that there could be tornadic wind streaks observed across Munster, in a few locations but not very long-lasting or wide streaks, due to spin enhancement with a downsloping WNW wind flow coming across the higher terrain. These should occur during the mid to late morning if they happen at all, so should be observable. Will keep an eye on radar and try to highlight any promising cells for localized damaging gusts. More generally the entire flow will be quite strong and gusty, these localized peaks could hit 140 km/hr briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looking at the charts I would have thought West Galway could get winds in the Orange level, very likely in coastal areas. Marine warnings in my experience can be felt along coastal fringes, exposed headlands etc and funnelled into bays etc depending on direction.

Red marine warning is gone.

4 recent strikes off the Kerry coast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s funny but at my location just about 4 miles NE of lahinch the warning ends at 5 but the max exiected gust in tgst period according tknME is about 66, but later in the morning sround 10-12 there are values of 76 and 74. Quite a difference! The e wind is getting up here now anyway. Should be an interstjng day ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

100kmh (54kts) gust recorded at sherkin island in the last hour

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

Very Little sleep here on the west cork coast is all I need to say!

Advertisement