Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 3: Australia

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

You two leave it out, you have both been at it in this thread. Either move on or don't post in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Edit.

Dont feed trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Only got to watch the highlights (Sky) last night. It cut from Sainz radio on the grid at the final restart to the cars slowly crossing the finish line. Didn't show the restart behind the safety car. Didn't retrospectively explain what happened. I had to go read an article to figure it out. Shocking editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think what this weekend showed is people will complain about the FIA/stewards decisions regardless.

The race was run to the letter of the law as far as I can tell but you still have people complaining it was a farce. If they had gone off book and done something different due to the cars struggling with tire temp people would just complain about them not following the rules and that it’s a farce anyway.

Same with Sainz’ penalty. Yes, it’s incredibly harsh, but it’s incredibly harsh due to all of the stuff that happened around it, which the stewards expressly say they cannot take into account. The fact that the race was restarted with the same grid positions and finished under a safety car is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

motorcycle racing is my thing, but we recently stated to watch F1 after many years break, and its just because of the netflix doc, which i know ppl loathe....but there ya go.

The weekend in AUS was a bit farcical , the final restart was not needed, wreckless decision, the race should have ended imo - last dashes are like a track day, when you have one more half session to have one final balls out to the stop few mintues, ppl have limited time, they to go all out, and chaos esnues - every time. The other red flag, should have been a yellow , track could have been cleared easily to wash up debris, unless the armco was damaged which it didnt appear to be?

Sainz penaly as outrageous, the FIA seem to behave like the soccer clowns , jumping to the ground screaming blue murder for something that was completely innocent or when they werent even touched. Sainz was ok imo, he was already on his approach. Bullsh1t decision. its a tight track, but its racing too.

i was also suprised when Max was sitting at an angle on the grid at a restart i think it was, he didnt get penalised like Alonso for not being in the correct position on the grid markers in jedda. its getting OTT. Safety first always, but ffs, a bit of cop on is needed to judge on moves etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The farcical element was the lack of communication between race control and the viewing public via TV graphics, team radio announcements for the best part of an hour. Nobody knew what was going on, even if the right thing happened in the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I wonder was it not within the rules to give Sainz a grid penalty for the next race instead? Seems a more sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

As far as I understand it the stewards only really have power to give certain penalties that only apply to the race they’ve been put in charge of, anything outside of that would need to be handled by the FIA, and this incident isn’t so serious that they’d get them involved.

I think Sainz was unfortunate, but the stewards dealt with it in the way that they are supposed to do. And I understand why they have a narrow focus on the incident only. Allow mitigating circumstances for Sainz then every driver will have reasons as to why the penalty shouldn’t apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

its at a stage now that if a sweet wrapper blew onto the track the race would be red flagged..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Give me a red flag and more racing versus too many laps behind a safety car any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes exactly much better than them just crawling around behind a safety car all bunched up wasting time when they coukd have just red flagged the race cleared or fixed whatever was wrong then get back to proper racing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Massive difference, and not just because of the DRS, the RB this year was faster through the corners even.

Advertisement