If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Newbie questions

  • 26-03-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

    Ok. I know these questions have been asked and answered multiple times on this forum, but usually in the middle of a thread. Also, changing legislation?

    I shot targets in college. I'd like to do it again. And clays in due course. Am I correct in the process below? If only paper targets I don't need landowner permissions, right?


    1. Join club/range.

    2. Do course.

    3. Deposit on gun.

    4. Apply for license with the serial number.

    5. Assuming approved, get gun.

    6. Install safe.

    7. Anything else? What have I missed?


  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭slipperyox

    Correct, and in addition that YOU, have not previous convictions, and medically approved by your Doc.

    And, that your storage satisfies the Super.

    Land owners and paper targets are not compatible.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    Assuming you want to target shoot, which you can’t do on any land, only at an authorised range.

    1. yes. Get membership letter and/or membership number.
    2. depends. My local FO did not require it but yours may be different.
    3. yes.
    4. yes.
    5. this a grey area and a chicken and egg situation. If you buy and install a safe, then get refused, it’s wasted money. Some FO’s will arrange a house inspection and call you in advance giving you time to get and install before the licence is issued. Others don’t as the storage requirements is the liability of the firearms owner and you have committed to it in the application and they inform you they will be out to inspect during their rerouting rounds.
    6. have your safe. Have a lockable box for ammo separate, unless you’re safe as a separate compartment in it for ammo. But you will still need a box for travelling in the car. Plano boxes are about 21e in wildhunter. Get a range bag for your glasses, ear protection, note pad (if recording data), magazines and carrying ammo from the car to the actual range so your not walking through like an airport run with 6 check in bags 😀. Top to-, I got a DSLR camera bag as it opens flat, has compartments for different items and general organisation built in.

  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

    I'd recommend step 6 should be between steps 3 and 4 as you sign the FCA1 to say you comply with storage conditions, meaning you have the safe in place.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

    If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

    Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlieR

    I’d agree as they wanted pictures of my safe installed before the would accept the application

  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Steoller

    If the timing of buying a safe is problematic, maybe check with the range/club to see if they have on-site storage, and submit that as the storage location on your first application. If it gets approved, then buy and install a safe at home and have the FO inspect it before submitting an FCA2 form to amend the storage location.

  • Advertisement