Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men who wear hats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A trademark inherited from his ould fella, their fanbase were mainly old farmers.

Goes with the working man/'man who ates his dinner in the middle of the day' schtick.

Has to be a flat cap, a fedora or some fancy 'foreign' hat would alienate his constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Hats are nearly as useless as scarfs these days

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Timfy

You will usually find me in either;

Flat cap for walking to the pub

Leather stockmans hat when out on the hills in the p1ssing rain

Wool beanie when its baltic

Authentic Panama when sitting outside in the sun (aka "the drinking hat")

I am also the proud owner of several generic baseball caps, worn only for fishing and of course a tricolour bucket hat for special occasions!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

The Original "Flatcap"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There is a strong correlation between the decline of western civilization and men not wearing hats if you ask me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know older men who wear caps , not to hide baldness but to keep their heads warm

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I have a cowboy hat. Its great for keeping the sun out of my eyes, plus it makes judgmental types of people you would like to avoid identify themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Al Capone and the lads wore them regularly as did The Man from Del Monte, Captin Haddock from Hergé's Adventures of Tintin also wore a hat but it was more of a Captains hat (Sailor)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the Stovepipe is due a comeback

• Advertisement

Sadly not... but I do have my Grandads military "slouch hat" that saw action in Burma in ww2, similar to this one

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Yuo have the right idea, I like the sound of a "drinking hat".Was your GF a chindit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve a few hats I wear on different “occasions”. Leinster and Ireland bobble hats for going to matches, URC, Champions Cup and international, that is.

I wear a Barbarians rugby “woolly” hat for exercise in winter, my NFL team cap does for summer.

Then I have a Linney trilby I got from my grandfather. It was a “gift” from, the great, Willie John McBride, who in turn had gotten it from Barry John. It was given after a match and when my grandfather was told whom it had once belonged to he asked Willie John if he one from Phil Bennett as he preferred him!

I’d wear the Linney, with my “John Motson-type” sheepskin, if I was going to a club game, or to an international, if the weather was milder. Looks very sharp.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In these days of UV sun awareness and high skin cancer in Ireland, I can't think of a better reason to bring back wide-brimmed hats.

I have my Grandfather's old fedora, but its a black woollen affair and weighs about 8 tons. I've been looking at buying a structured fedora in light materials finished in mid Grey or mid Green as my chrome dome and exposed nose will thank me for it in later years. Who will join me in setting the trend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

in Ireland, much like umbrellas, hats are utterly useless. They blow away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i didnt think hozier was known for wearing hats.......i'll get me coat

conveniently it also identifies you to us judgmental types too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

No they don't, or at least not so often as to render a hat useless. I'm an avid hat wearer (albeit female), and rarely have had one blown off my head. Normally a brimmed hat as well.

My brother also wears hats, mainly trilby style in winter, boater in summer in the city, and caps when physically working out doors. He's never mentioned wind as being an issue.

In contrast I've had countless umbrellas turned inside out by the wind and blown away.

Even more exotic than that - she's from Limerick 😃

The drinking hat is very important and we have a rule that once it's put on, a drink has to be partaken, no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

you can't beat a Stove Pipe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hats can look great on a man if the right hat is used.

My late father never wore a hat for work as he was of the generation that took JFK's cue and dispensed of a formal hat.

Hats plunged out of style in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a man's formal clothing - the necktie is going the exact same way currently. My dad did have a flat cap that he would sometimes wear in his later years.

My granddad - his father- nearly always wore a hat or a flat cap.

My partner wears a trilby and it looks well on him. I myself sometimes wear a flat cap and a beanie in cold weather.

Aren't the hipsters supposed to be quite into the hats?

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I just have one on to cover the hair for a while. Can't be bothered cutting it or anything atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hipsters probably wearing suits, shirts and ties these days. 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 35 truthseekerxz

Really enjoyed that film. one of the only films I’ve actually paid for and downloaded ever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Being from Connemara, I wear beanies a lot. They're the best thing going to keep your head warm and dry when it's raining sideways as it often does. At any given time, I probably have 10 to 15 of them in various places - floor of bedroom, back of couch, shed, travel bags etc. I buy them in packs of five and lose maybe around 5 a year.

I live in Dublin for the past 20 odd years where they aren't as necessary but old habits and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

I wear flat cap on the land a fedora for anything else a woolie hat when its frosty & a panama in the sun .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

I wish men wore more hats as it would cover the baldness & the hard boiled egg look ! as it doesnt suit every face . !

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lentil Soup

Michael Collins and Churchill wore Homburgs

Hercule Poirot too - the David Suchet Poirot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Lentil Soup

Is a Stockman similar to the Australian Outback? I'd love a Stockman coat.

Advertisement