Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men who wear hats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Here, the New York Yankees tell you they are… ‘hats’… . I think you need to have a word with yourself 😳

the rest of us will probably not take fashion advice from someone who is busy laughing at their own posts, oddsville.

I wear baseball caps in work. They keep hair out of food and are comfortable to wear for long hours, I just developed the habit to wear it almost daily now tbh

im not exactly a fashionable person anyway, I wear things either cos I want to or it’s comfortable.

laughing at the remarks regarding wearing one backwards too, you really have too much time on your hands if you’re theory crafting the personalities of people who wear hats a certain way.

Also anyone who says a baseball cap isn’t a hat, I mean honestly. I guess you’d correct people for calling sandals shoes too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm not offering fashion advice, I'm just stating my opinion. If anyone wants to start an "angry session" on the subject of hats, it's entirely up to them, I'll just saunter off into the background and let them get on with it. There's enough lunacy on this planet as it is. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 35 truthseekerxz

I wear a little felt hat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 truthseekerxz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Oddjob

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

They're also great in winter if you've got your hood up on a rain jacket. Stops the rain dripping down your face and stops the hood moving when you turn your head to look at something. Summer they're good for... ya know... avoiding skin cancer etc. Cause that wouldn't be much fun!

I find them practical too. Not really bothered if I'm winning awards for style either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A. Tommy Tiernan

B. My friend in Cork who always wears a Homburg and an embroidered waistcoat. Dashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

That'll be one of the lads from the mass shooting thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

So you don’t touch it often then ?

(Ill get my coat. - and hat😉)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I routinely wear headgear.

Daily wear is a canvas drover's hat. It crushes for easy transport, it keeps the sun off my face and back of neck and has a chinstrap for windier conditions without being too warm. Very low maintenance, I have them in a couple of colours to suit.

In winter weather, I've a felt fedora. I've been debating replacing that one with a new one from the hat shop in the Powerscourt center.

For tropical environs, I've a Panama hat.

I've a cavalry hat for work wear, which also has a good wide brim on it, and have been kicking around a cowboy hat. I do live in Texas, after all. However, the things are by no means cheap.

On occasion I'll grab a baseball cap, but they tend to be only if I'm doing something particularly active like driving the convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

As the OP I just want to clarify.

I am referring to hats (think Jack Lynch or the 40s and 50s) not caps like baseball caps or flat caps.

The point I am trying to make is that very few men wear them nowadays. Some do like as someone mentioned Wille Mullins.

I don't know anyone now who wears one. I mentioned Marty Whelan in the very first post but he is in the media and as such it's simply an attention seeking thing something he wouldn't do if he were working in an office I would say.

A regular 9 to 5 man working, lets say in an office, doesn't wear them.

Yes, but you are imagining that this was purely for style. But this isn't really the case.

Men of yesteryear would spend huge amounts of time outdoors in all sorts of weather. Hats had a very practical application.

Of course there would be more expensive and trendy examples depending on the status and wealth of the man. But the overall trend developed mostly for practical reasons.

Cowboys, for example, considered their hat to be essential. They would be quite upset if they lost or misplaced it. It was protection from the elements. Technically it still is if you live in cowboy country, but it's also a status symbol now too. A sign of pride telling people where you come from.

Google some pictures of dock workers in the past, you'll struggle to spot a single man without his cap. But these men were not fashion conscious individuals. They were very tough working class people, the most pragmatic and unsentimental types you could meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I wear hats because of my baldness. During the winter it's beanies because it's cold. In the summer it's baseball caps because I don't want to get burnt. In between it's flat caps because it's not warm enough for baseball caps.

I'd wear other hats like fedoras and trilbys but at this point they're novelty items and most guys who wear them look like cocks.

Another example would be shirts and blazers.

This was just what men of a particular era wore. I remember my dad telling me that he never actually saw his dad not wearing a shirt, despite the fact that he was a very tough working class man. Very often doing dirty manual work.

If you go to eastern Europe, you will still see poor farmers wearing shirts with a blazer/sport jacket farming the land by hand. Up until very recently, you would still see a few men of this vintage knocking around rural Ireland too.

If you were dressing up for some special occasion, you would simply wear a slightly more expensive version of the same attire. If you wore a hat/cap, you'd just wear your "good" cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

99% of the time I'd never wear a hat. Exceptions - if it's extremely cold I might wear a woolly hat. On a sun holiday , I might wear some sort of hat for protection (don't like baseball caps and too old for a bucket hat). ..... and yes, I have a bald patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Check out the Michael Flatley movie "Blackbird"

There's more hats in that film than what you'd see on display in a Millinery shop window.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really bad advice to ask anybody to watch that. Terrible .

One of the worst films ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And they would never, ever, ever wear them indoors.

• Advertisement

I watched it last week - 90 mins of my life i'm never getting back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Me auld gruaig started to get lighter and lighter on top so I started shaving my head with a Phillips shaver. I find that a baseball cap is essential outdoor kit for me now as it prevents my shaved head from getting sun damage. I work in a lab where we process sun damage related skin cancer samples from old people. Some of the samples we receive are horrific. Google bcc and scc skin cancer pics if you don't believe me. I don't want to ever get anything like that when I'm old.

The 1960's seemed to be the most popular decade for hats as a fashion statement. When you look back at the old James Bond movies from the sixties - the trilby hat was a constant presence when Connery's Bond was out and about. When the 70's came and Roger Moore took over the role the trilby was dropped. Another examples of 60's set TV series Mad Men - Don Draper was never seen out and about without his Fedora...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Baz Ashmawy

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Would always wear headgear around home when doing a bit of outdoor work, chopping wood, cutting grass etc. In the summer it would be an airy mesh baseball cap, in winter, ie the other 3 seasons, a beanie. Just a habit I probably got into with my Dad as a kid, he never went outside to do a tap of work without a cap of some description. Funnily enough, I'd never even think of putting one on when going anywhere. Although I am of that age when a flatcap is beginning to look appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Bankers wear them for pulling all that magical fractional reserve money from

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What actually happened is that in the 1950's cars got decent heaters and buildings got central heating. Tweed industry collapsed as people didn't need to wear heavy outer garments to stay warm indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

I sport a Waxed light flat cap through the cold season keeps me head warm and dry. Auld lad balding

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I live in Winnipeg. If you DON'T wear a hat for about 6 months of the year, you'll probably die.

-40C doesn't play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement