Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men who wear hats

Options
  • 25-03-2023 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Gone are the days when men wore hats. But that is fashion for you. Do you know anyone who wears a hat on a regular basis?

I can't think of anyone. Mind you I saw a picture of Marty Whelan wearing one. But he seemed somewhat attention seeking and I wondered if he had continued working in PMPA would he be wearing one today?

Think of Sinatra, Fred Astaire, Jack Lynch. There's an elegance to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

There is certainly an elegance to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

ye a cousin hes a real tramp and a bad one at that,wears baseball hat backwards thinks its still E-17 brian harvey.truth be told hes bald on top at 40 odd yrs and just cannot accept it hence why the hat is super glued on,how sad.................................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 24,818 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For me the wearing of hats is influenced by the weather…

a real sunny hot day, I’ve a couple of baseball hats although not worn backwards…always bring them on holiday.

ive one of those Russian ushanka hats that a relative brought me from Moscow… it’s beyond comfy…

Comfy and some, only worn a handful of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Baseball caps aren't hats, they're caps, and people who wear them have no taste 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I saw a man wearing a tricorne hat in Dublin recently which has never happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭seanrambo87

I occasionally wear a flat cap, for a variety of reasons, sometimes because my hair is a mess, sometimes because the mood takes me but always, always, because the cap becomes me😁 To echo Bassy I know a fella who always has a baseball cap welded to his head, bald on top but keeps the side hair, looks terrible with the hat off looks like a bit of a fella trying too hard with it on. I say embrace the baldness or shell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭vafankillar

notice a lot of men wear them to hide the baldness, which i find weird cos then the reveal is even worse if you've been hiding it for so long.

american anti-woke pundit tim pool is one over the top example, chap wears a beanie 99% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭seanrambo87

Yeah the reveal is a killer alright, really hemorrhages cool points🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Deiselurker

Plenty hats worn in horseracing. Willie Mullins always has one.

Michael Healy Rae is another one who wears the hat to hide the baldness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Edge and Brush Shields love a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A quality Hemp Fedora in the sun is better than a baseball cap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any brimmed hat will be better than a baseball cap in the sun. I've a €15 sun hat from Decathlon.

A hat will protect your whole head and neck, depending on the brim width, the baseball cap stops the floodlights from blinding you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Yeah but the brimmed hat won't hide your face when the occasion demands .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I wear a hozier style broad brimmed hat both for fashion at festivals and concerts and also on rainy days to keep the hair dry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Healy rae looks much older without the flat cap so that prob why its bet onto him the whole time

Suspect is hatless. Repeat: hatless.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Often just hide baldness.

I remember at my grand mothers funeral my dad's friend came in without his hat on knew my name/etc. I hadn't a clue who he was without the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah it's a weird one. They were ubiquitous in the early 20th century and common enough in the later decades of that century. Now, as many have pointed out in this thread, its mostly only bald men who wear them. Fashion tends to be cyclical so perhaps they will make a comeback at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

John F. Kennedy notably did not wear one at a time most men of his age did and was known as "Hatless Jack"

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Looks like you're trying too hard to be "cool" or "trendy" if you walk out the house with that on.

Everybody knows you've been staring at yourself in the mirror for an inordinate amount of time... it's just obvious. If you don't mind broadcasting this fact to the world, then crack on I suppose.

I do know a chap that wears fedoras, but it's obvious that he's not wearing them to be fashionable. Many of them are scruffy and well worn. But they do seem to suit him. (expertly hides his giant dome!🤣)

I think bowler hats and pork pie hats are the worse two that I can think off, I'd never join the Orange Order, not that they'd let me. 🤣

The last hat that I bought was a Tilley hat, which I see as a convenient hassle free umbrella. If you ever lose a Tilley hat you're supposed to get a free replacement.

My father absolutely refused to ever wear a hat, only photos of him wearing one was when he was in naval service uniform. Born in 1962, some of the men on the Dublin suburban road where I grew up wore hats, the actuary down the road certainly did, the neighbours’ Dads, both from Galway, would wear simple caps. Then when my neighbour’s son grew into his twenties alongside me he started wearing a slightly more sophisticated looking cap. But it’s long since much headgear has been regularly worn by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There are plenty of people wearing baseball caps and I've got big news for you; a Cap is "a kind of soft, flat hat, typically with a peak".

I wear a flat cap to the races, GAA matches and the mart.

Yes there are plenty people wearing them, and they've always been tasteless, whether they're caps, hats, helmets, or whatever your "big" news tells me they are. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So you accept you were wrong with your "baseball caps aren't hats"? 🤣🤣 Whether they lack taste or not is a different discussion.

Advertisement