Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cliff Walk discussion thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

So the people of Bray who feel that this is an unnecessary and unfair barrier took action to open it:

What's happening is now that the council have decided not to realise what the general public want, like vandals they have reinforced the barrier at the Bray end:

People are now deciding/being forced to take a risk that is multiples of the informed "risk" the barrier is failing to enforce, people who just want to walk the cliff walk are now shimmying around the edge of the barrier overhanging a ~30M drop onto the DART line.

Before the "Well they are just reckless" brigade chime in, this is human nature when something that is wanted by many is refused by few. The Bray town council just don't get this and are sticking their fingers in their ears and refusing to look at the solutions rather than having meetings and opening tenders that will drag out for years…. as I said already the council are acting as vandals to one of/the towns most popular attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Absolutely not. The people vandalising the railings and climbing around are the vandals.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You should probably read your own signature quote…

Ah OK. You think the council should allow a dangerous situation and you support people vandals vandalising fences.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Literally the exact opposite.

I do not think the council should have created such a dangerous situation and I do not support their vandalistic actions in trying (and failing) to create a barrier to the public amenity (That they heavily advertise as something they are so proud of).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

The council didnt create rockfall and path erosion 🙄🙄🙄

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

No but wicklow cc have ignored ongoing erosion issues at the Greystones end for decades now, certainly since I was walking it 35ish years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Where's King Canute when you need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wicklow CC don't know the meaning of the word "proactive" when it comes to ongoing maintenance of anything, let alone a valuable asset like the Cliff Path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Our new Taoiseach might help the situ since he's a Greystones man. He will have some pull anyway I'd say. Let's see. Get on your 'puters and phones and email Simon asap.

To be fair

A) some erosion of it is more recent

B) we didn't have the same suing compo culture 35 years ago

C) Coastal erosion is now more of a problem because of climate change

There are people vandalising the fence and the walk. It's disingenuous to call WCC the vandals in that circumstances.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wicklow CoCo have done little for public ROWs other than put up fences. It's hardly surprising that the public will knock them. The county should be full of public paths and ROWs documented and protected by the LA. If this were a road issue, it'd have been fixed long ago.

Of course some of the erosion is more recent. That's the nature of erosion, it will get worse if left unchecked like WCC have done for a long time. My point is this was an issue for WCC to start working on decades ago - it's not like they didn't know about it - but they ignored it and now their 'solution' is to put up fences to block access. You said

The council didnt create rockfall and path erosion 🙄🙄🙄

but the fact is their negligence in maintaining the amenity has contributed to it, there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Nobody is calling that a solution, thats a preventive measure to protect themselves from someone suing when the inevitable happens, we have seen it where people injure themselves in a place they shouldnt be for whatever reason and look for someone to blame.

I loved the cliff walk and still enjoy walking up the cliffs and over the top and down along windgates and still end up in greystones so dont really see the fuss.

Update in the indo yesterday

http://archive.today/MCx0s

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm losing track of how long all this has been going on … so, how long has it taken from the most recent rockfall which prompted the closure to them putting out the tender for repairs to the current situation where they're having to repeat the whole process? Ditto for the whole legal situation with CPO's etc. at the Greystones end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We used to walk that at least once a month during the summer and meet family in Bray for dinner on the seafront. I dont think we have met in Bray once since they closed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe the term is 'constructive delay' or something like that. Is there truth in suggestions that part of the problem at the Greystones end is more concerned with landowners eye on potential development of the area for housing? Lots of development in that general area in recent years and large sums of money involved. You'd think a public path might be as asset to same but maybe also a legal nuisance. Could there be horse trading going on? You get your path if we get zoning etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the area in question is halfway up Bray Head and obviously quite close to the area that has collapsed, I don't think it's got development potential. There no real scope for more development on the seaward side of the railway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement