Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cliff Walk discussion thread

Options
  • 23-03-2023 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

As per the "New shops & business'" thread, we should have a separate thread for the Cliff Walk amenity.

I have made my thoughts on the ongoing closure clear:

I have met numerous visitors who have travelled out from Dublin and further only to be met with a shoddy gate and a sign saying CLOSED.

It's not erosion, it's just natural rockfall that can easily be predicted and prevented with regular inspection.#

Bray CC needs to be proactive about protecting one of the most valuable amenity assets in the area, not just shove up a barrier anytime there is a problem.

I am also aware of the issue on the Greystones side, walkers have just made their own diversion around this as has been "officially" closed for years with no action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Greystones issue IS erosion and the council can't reopen it without an official diversion or some major engineering in the form of a bridge or walkway over the affected stretch.

Their preference appears to be a diversion (this is what they've alway done in the past) but they don't seem to be making any progress with the adjacent landowner. Why they haven't moved to CPO the land, I don't know.

They're not clearing the rockfall at the Bray end I assume because they don't want people using the walk anyway while it's officially closed, so anything that provides an additional disincentive and obstacle is good from their POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is rockfalll easily predictable?

A picture was posted of a rockfall on the other thread as if it was nothing but I would not have liked to have been walking on the path when it happened. Very dangerous.

How can you say the issue is not erosion? Have you conducted a geological survey of the area? Perhaps you can share it with us and the council?

Also,your complaints like shoddy gate are just ridiculous. What do you want? An information centre explaining the situation?

Safety has to be the number one priority and the council are right not to take risks. If it was open and something did happen and somebody got injured or killed then people would be on here blaming the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

"How is rockfalll easily predictable?" - Regular inspections by experts who will remove / net up any loose rockface.

"A picture was posted of a rockfall on the other thread as if it was nothing but I would not have liked to have been walking on the path when it happened. Very dangerous." - That was my picture, it was a rockfall that took about 5 seconds to happen in a history of over 100 years... pretty safe odds I'd say.

"How can you say the issue is not erosion? Have you conducted a geological survey of the area? Perhaps you can share it with us and the council?" - Have you?

"What do you want? An information centre explaining the situation" - Nope, I want action to clear the rockfall, make it safe and open the Cliff Walk.... Easy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I very much doubt that any budget has been allocated for “experts” to regularly inspect the rock face to determine how safe the cliff walk is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is the walk back open yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MangleBadger

It is even more closed than before. They've extended the barrier on the Greystones end.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Yeah, got caught out by the new extended barriers on the greystones side recently when i went for a dawn run over the hill. They have gone to some effort to discourage access, resulting in the need for a very sketchy climb around the extended piece of palisade fencing hanging over the cliffs, on three occasions. It's such a shame, as the more inland the walk goes the less appealing it is. The bits with the coastal views are the best bits. Anyway, with the effort they have gone to bar the way I wouldn't be holding my breath for any sort of speedy resolution and re-opening.

At this stage, the walk from the greystones side is rubbish, a wander uphill through a field or two and then turn around and back you go. At least from Bray you can get up to the cross and there are few other loops you can still access.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Still closed.

Likely to be a couple of years as the council has to purchase land..

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

there's a more recent update than that. The Bray rockfall is to be cleared and made safe early in 2024, and the diversion (via the road) at the Greystones side will be signposted properly.

Reopening of the Greystones side is dependent on CPOing some land which they're only starting to do now as they had been trying to negotiate a voluntary sale. CPO could take years, it's a farce. They should have made an offer, given them 3 months to accept and then started the CPO. If this was a road, it would have been re-opened within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Does anyone know if it is just blocked on the Bray side still or can you go up Bray head and get onto the cliff walk from the back of Bray head (the loop trail) and walk the rest of the way to Greystones?

I haven't been along it recently but I believe it is blocked at the Greystones side as well and they've added extra obstacles recently. There is a steep path from the loop trail down to the cliff walk, but this may be blocked off as well as it connects on the Bray side of the landslide, I'm not sure.

Yes, you can do exactly that, I do it every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Can you still do the walk to Greystones from the top of Bray head instead of the side?

Brilliant.. The bray tourist information sign at the dart station has this display:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How exactly? I've not been near the Greystones end of the walk in ages so don't know where the path is blocked at that end. So do you walk along the top as far as the path that heads off left down to the path near the (now invisible again!) EIRE 8 sign above the tunnel? And then continue along the Cliff Path, or is there another way?

Thanks! So the blockage at the the Greystones end is further along in the Bray direction then?

• Advertisement

you can see the collapsed section here, and it's on the Greystones side of where the upper path (and Cliff Road) connect

the short term plan is to clear the Bray rockslide and then have a diversion up Cliff Road and along the main road as far as Ennis Lane to get around this section while they work on the CPO. Looking at the aerial map, I'd say they're planning on moving the whole thing into the adjacent fields to avoid having to do this again in the near future. This is basically what they did closer to Greystones some years ago - the walk used to go along the top of the clay cliffs, it now goes down the middle of a field.

So it's not possible to come off the top of Bray Head and continue on into Greystones without climbing over the obstacle blocking the path at the Greystones end after all then? I'm confused.

Terry Pratchet

Did it today, Monday and last week.

But it is up to you... give it a go and report back..

An unofficial walk around is in place.. no problem.

Cliff road is a private road.

While we are happy for recreational walkers to use this road for access to Bray Head/Cliff walk, I find it surprising that a plan is being discussed to signpost a private road as an official route without consulting the residents of said private road.

Post edited by fortwilliam on

I'm surprised that there is signposting people to a route declared officially dangerous

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Very disappointing. What about the company that did the previous remediation works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SteM

This is awful. We're so bad at maintaining amenities in this country.

Advertisement