Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The distance debate

Options
12346»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

like what difference is 10 yards when you can drive the ball 300

I think the point is to put the brakes on any further distance gains by elite players, rather than trying to make a significant dent in the distances they can achieve today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes but my interpretation is it will also reduce future gains in distance. I think I read above that they expect players to overcome this within 10-20 years.

My understanding is that what this change means is it might take players 10 years to gain the distances that they might have gained in 5 years had no changes been made.

But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yeah I would be of the feeling that it may not go far enough

I think it should be a bit more

But it would make some of the longer courses in Ireland just inaccessible or less fun to good (single handicapper) golfers

Not sure it is enough to save the likes St Andrews on Open rota

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yes, I listened to an interview with Mike Whan (USGA) & Martin Slumbers (R&A) about it and that was part of Mike's point - If he (or his equivalent) is back having the same conversation in 10 - 15 years time then that will be success in his mind. The data they've collected shows ~ 1y of distance gain per year over the last 20/30 years on average. So assuming this roll back will be ~13 yards for the longest, it is buying them 10 years before they need to consider visiting it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

@RoadRunner They definitely play with different Equipment sure all there woods have serial numbers on them! The ones we buy dont. Go on to ebay and you will see tour pro heads of drivers (old ones like M2) go for £500+ for just the head yet we can buy the whole driver for 2 or 3 hundred Euro second hand. Then you add in the upgraded shafts they use. For us are also about £500+ I dont know about Irons but there stealth driver is definitely different to the one we buy.

Advertisement