Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Trek

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Never loved Q click of the fingers stuff. For me it's always a bad episode when Q appears. Some people love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh God, I forgot Q was so heavily involved (How could I? Just lucky I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

They nearly managed a smooth handover of the Borg with Voyager early on and if they simply hadn't fumbled later on with the majoy event episodes they could have maintained their edge.

I imagine that the chance to introduce the Borg the Voyager was a tempting chance to finally give the stuggling Trek show a hook for it's audience. Voyager could be "The Borg Show", giving Trekkies incentive to venture over from the far more interesting fare on DS9. They even swap out one of the weaker characters for some Borg-ified Eye-candy (That's right kids....Borg *& boobs* what more could you dweebs want from us anyway?!), such was their comitment to make Voyager; "Star Trek: Borg!" (And yes, I do know about the PC game of the same name starring Q)

But alas....it was Voyager, and despite them really putting it together mid-run, they weren't in the best shape to make the Borg a monolithic threat. If they were up for it, it could have been a combination of Year of Hell and the Enterprise of that alternat universe Riker who was haggered from years of running from the Borg. Dark as all hell, but would have been gripping. Alas, they eventually went to route of turning the Queen into a cartoonish arch-villianess who'd give Rita Repulsa a run for her money. An easier writing job...but also an awful waste of a chance.

I would guess that the borg episodes at that time where quite expensive to produce, and time consuming. Likewise the year of hell. Lots of set changes, cgi and costume and makeup. Perhaps that limited their ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Probably did generally for Voyager.

This was during a time when executives expected people would just miss an episode and didn’t want them feeling like they should stop watching because they couldn’t follow it, so everything pretty much had to be back to normal by the end of the episode.

I think if they did Voyager now it would be a lot different. The ship could continually evolve in how it looks due to the crew having to fix things with whatever they have to hand instead of being able to go to a star base for a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

At least Q's finger snap is better than Q(uinn)'s whatever that was supposed to be.

CGI is a lot cheaper now too if you want to put a few scars on a model an re-render some of the beauty shots it won't take too much time or money.

I feel the CGI is a little overboard on the trek interiors these day. Too much bling and luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

More than individual viewers missing an episode - depending on the distribution deal (eg first run syndication) for the Trek series they couldn't always rely on the local stations airing the episodes in the right order.

That should have been less of an issue for Voyager as it aired on dedicated UPN network, but might still have been a concern with reruns.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Firefly is a pretty famous example of the episodes being aired out of order. IIRC they showed the third one first followed by the first, the one that explains how the all got together and the setting, and then the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think if they did Voyager now it would be a lot different. The ship could continually evolve in how it looks due to the crew having to fix things with whatever they have to hand instead of being able to go to a star base for a replacement.

That is one thing that really bugged me about the TNG. Any bit of damage at all and at the end of the episode instead of Geordie and Co fixing it they were going to such and such starbase.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

That made sense to me, though! If you have an alien baby use the warp nacelles as some food thinking the enterprise was its mother then you’d definitely bring it to a starbase for a once over, at the very least just check and repair any external damage.

Just generally though it’s reason to assume starships need regular maintenance and upgrades.

In Voyager, the ship essentially fixed itself, and a crew of about 140 kept a starship is pristine working order by themselves for 7 years. How did they repair hull damage? You never saw them outside on the hull doing any repair work as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What I noticed with Star Trek - the first few series of Picard (Have not seen the reason ones gave up on it) they somehow manage to talk down to the audience and constantly really awkwardly shoehorn in current American politics into the episodes. While also shoehorning in political agendas. And it gets so lost in all the politics and agendas, it forgets to entertain and have a good story first and foremost.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ms

What I noticed with Star Trek - the first few series of Picard (Have not seen the reason ones gave up on it)

Oh your missing out then. Season 3 is really good and nothing like season 1 or 2. It's like a love letter to TNG.

Yes whats her name Raffi is unfortunately still there but that's about the only bad thing about it.

You never saw them outside on the hull doing any repair work as far as I remember.

Actually you do when they discover the Vaadwar on the dead planet. They land on it and you see the nacelles being stripped etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

100%. Discovery and Picard feel like they were so busy with the social commentary they forget it's meant to be Star Trek show.

Picard S3 has started better. I didn't mind S1 until the endings, S2 though.... Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

I love you guys. We should do a social event sometime.

Anyway yes I have been drinking

Firstly Picard season 3 is what they should have done season 1.

Stewart is 80 plus for **** sake. Don't try to break new ground. You might get lucky with a spin off character like captain Pike but stick with Traditional trek. For Picard

The dark sets are a real turn off and I don't accept excuses to cover up cracks

Voyager played it safe. Too safe. DS9 broke new ground.

We have had practically 20 years of **** trek bar a decent reboot of the movies.

Well the first one.

I like SNW but give me a decent moving forward trek series next or I am gone.

I have been with this franchise since 1975

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I might give it a go so. I was only after watching probably my favourite episode from 'Enterprise' on Netflix. Even if I can't fast forward/skip that awful theme tune quick enough.

The episode was called Carbon Creek. The acting in it was great, the story still draws me in (even though I saw it before). It had little bits of humour in it. Pacing was great etc. I was thinking why don't they write star trek episodes like this anymore?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ms

Even if I can't fast forward/skip that awful theme tune quick enough.

Awe it's not that bad. You just have to be in the right mood for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Actually talking about Enterprise, repairs to the hull, and the general minutiae of ship maintennance, I always really enjoyed that Enterprise episode where they have to take shelter in the warp nacelle from a storm. Quite a fun little episode, and felt like a submarine film. Might stick that on now!

And yeah, season 3 is a very different experience to earlier Picard and all of Discovery. Completely took me by surprise.

I think there was at least another Voyager episode where you see them working on the hull, though I believe it was the finale when they were installing all that future tech. Enterprise also had that one where they got stuck in the Romulan minefield.

My kid reckons that was dates a lot of old shows the music. He can't take it at all. There a lunge for the skip intro when it starts.

I actually like the intro's. Especially voyagers.

I liked enterprise. It was a bit too slow in the first season. My kid gave up on it.

Very hard to watch something like Expanse, or Lost in Space and come back to some of these old shows. In some ways Enterprise seems more dated than TNG, Voyager, or DS9. Seems cheaper production too. The shuttle interior seems especially quite low budget. At least in TNG they made an attempt to go back boost it to HD etc. I'd really like to see the Babylon 5 refresh. Seems hard to get access to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

Im a sucker for soft Rock emotive themes like enterprise.

I actually thought the whole intro worked well. The images etc

Yes I often play islands in the stream!

Ms

I'd really like to see the Babylon 5 refresh. Seems hard to get access to it.

As far as I know B5 was never refreshed or upgraded. A pity really. But there is a new B5 series or two on the way this year and next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Are you watching "The Ark" ?

If you have some spare time or are bored some day it's well wortha watch. It just gets better every episode.

In fact if it had "Star Trek The Beginning" in it would have worked grand. Of course they might have to change the Earth story then do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Sorry I meant remastered.

Lots of progress with AI rescaling too which gives me hope that some old shows might eventually get the treatment.

You notice the difference in TNG on Netflix with the remastering. Hopeful more old Trek shows will get some TLC in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Nope, but I'll give it a shot and report back! Though it might be a while, want to rewatch Yellowjackets before season 2

Ms

It's a Sci fi show but have not seen it on Sci-fi here. Other places like torrents or streaming sites is were you will find it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

Regarding the future of Trek, here's one thing to ponder; will we ever actually see a Trek movie again?

Although the JJ-verse movies jump started the franchise, they created a bit of a continuity head-ache. Do new Trek movies carry on from the 3 JJ-Movies...or do they carry on from after Picard, thus sequels to the TNG movies?

I fear that maybe it's now kind of impossible to neatly package a continuation of movie Trek. They've been trying to continue the JJ-Movies for the guts of a decade, I don't think they are going to happen anymore.

The only thing I can think of that might work are Trek "Antology" movies that are self-contained and just happen to be in the Trek universe. Kind of like what they tried to do with Star Wars. I feel that the Trek universe is broad enough for this to work, if written well.

Otherwise...maybe they need to stay away from movies.

• Advertisement

I think Anthologies is the way to go for Trek movies. They don't even need to be big budget cinema releases a TV movie on streaming would do. Hopefully they'll start building up a library of costumes and sets to reuse for multiple periods.

Advertisement