Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Trek

Options
  • 12-03-2023 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have been a fan since about 1975.

I loved both the next generation and deep space 9. I loved the original and will take a week off when Bill dies but he could outlive me.

I thought voyager was so so. It had good stand alone episodes but did not develop the starfleet vs maquis story line nor the lone starfleet ship in the gamma quadrant. Was it the gamma quadrant?

It didn't realise TV was adapting. The 60s series plus DS9 pushed the envelope but this was a very by the numbers series with incredibly boring characters bar 7 and the captain

What came after - Enterprise was mixed. I actually dislike Scott baluka as an actor. First series I gave up on

I thought discovery series 1-2 was not bad. Not a popular opinion. Season 3 and 4 were ****.

Again Star trek seems to have lost its way. People were tiring of season long episode arcs . These can work with interesting characters allied with a few connected mini story lines feeding in but Discovery didn't have this

I like SNW but it sort of feels like a Trek cover band.

If Trek is to survive it has to be creative and feel like it's reflecting the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Personally I feel going down the prequel route was the beginning of the end of Trek; at least for me.

I had no interest in Enterprise for the simple fact that it's what came before - and what I suspected would mess up canon with plotholes to beat the band. I would have liked Scott Bakula as a Captain in a post Nemesis Trek.

SNW and even Discovery would have worked in a post Nem Trek with some slight changes. Don't get me wrong; the writing for Disco is dreadful, especially for Burnham's character; but the likes of Jason Isaac, Michelle Yeoh and Anson Mount in the new era, during or post Picard - Would have been amazing.

Don't get me started on the 600 year thing in Disco - that was the 2nd worst alternative. The 1st being the prequel route.

Season 3 Picard shows live action Trek can be done well. It wouldn't even need the cameos - it just needs people who care to helm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Prequels can work in short bursts, it would be easier to keep canon inconsistencies low in a 90 minute tv movie compared to a continuing series but we've had enough of them already. Star Trek needs another hundred year skip to really grow. As much as I like the 90s era crews once Picard is over they should move on from legacy characters. One thing Enterprise did really well right was it's season four mini arcs, I'd like to see them return in a 26th century series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Agree with this. I loved that while I was growing up trek was this persistent sci-fi universe being looked at from different angles. Once they announced Enterprise I struggled to care.

Voyager was a natural stopping point. The crew was home, most of the major adversaries in each quadrant had been dealt with, and just the format was running out of road, but 15 years out of that generation of Trek was some achievement.

Would have liked if they gave it a few years off at that point and then gave us a new crew 100 or so years into the future, with a new mission. Would be enough time where you could allow for radically different ship design and where you wouldn’t be expecting cameos every week from familiar faces.

It actually really annoys me that we still haven’t gotten a proper progression of Trek, and the direction they’ve taken with Discovery means we probably won’t get one. The writers decided it was best to skip over all of the stuff we had seen before which was really the temporal war stuff from Voyager - but that should have just been ignored. It was dumb in voyager(the temporal prime directive🙄) but at least it was about time travel so could have been easily retconned.

Hopefully once the dust settles on this latest round of trek the producers realise that all we need is a good crew being put into interesting situations, as SNW is clearly the best of the current batch(I do love lower decks too). But I’m not holding out too much hope!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As a Babylon 5 fan DS9 was too similar. And too many whiny Bajorans.

Voyager - Only 7 of 9 and the Doctor had any character development during the series. And Janeway selling out anyone and everyone , nah.

Enterprise - Mirror universe episode was at least 20% better for not using that theme tune. Brilliant start to an episode. As much fun as the bit on SG-1 200 where they do Farscape. Didn't like the whole temporal war plot though.

Discovery - didn't even finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

You are right about the doctor on voyager. Good guy.

The temporal war war was a good plot indeed

• Advertisement

I would agree with this. It was only with Picard after what 20 years that trek began to move forward. I don't think there was a next generation movie that period

I'm not sure why this was. Enterprise crashed so they double down on prequels??

That being said they did get it right on SNW but I still feel we need a new series.

Can anybody explain to me the OTT on prequels??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In my youth I used to only dip in and out of Star Trek as I preferred other SciFi in my youth. One my kids though got me rewatching it. We've worked our way through much of it in recent years.

Have to agree about prequels. I think it's laziness to keep going back and mining prequels. It undermines the existing material and lore. I've yet to see a prequel that does anything other than diminish a franchise.

Discovery was awful. Its not star trek and neither were the first two seasons of Picard. Patrick Stewart is a great actor but is just too old for how it was written.

Strange new worlds though is a return to Star Trek as it's meant to be IMO.

Two things I've never loved is time travel and multiple dimensions or alternative universes. Too often it becomes over complicated and messed with previous storylines and diminishes them. The story becomes unmanageable very fast.

I'm a huge fan of time travel stories. In all sci fi

There was a good series last few years Timeless.

It was brilliant but sadly only lasted 2 seasons

For me it only works in small does. But I don't watch SciFi to end up back in another genre like western, or gangster era. If its stays in genre like Voyager Krenim episode then maybe. There was one in TNG with Data worked ok.

Timeless made it work as a series but I agree that that it should only be used sparingly in ST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Traveller's was pretty good too and I used to love Seven Days as a kid. They both had time travel as a central premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

I have a smattering of hope for the future of Trek if Picard S3 can stick the landing. With Lower Decks we've a very fun & enjoyable take on Trek, and with SNW we seem to at very least have a compitent stab of making regular episodic Trek.

What little I had seen of Prodigy seemed good, I haven't been too pushed to watch it, but I haven't felt repelled from watching it like I was towards Discovery after Season 3.

The final pillar of my hope is that Discovery actually got cancelled. I didn't finish, it didn't simply come to the end and stop. The plug was pulled on it. Season 5 was probably going to roll into a Season 6 and probably 7, but they put the breaks on it. This gives me a sense of hope. Paramount appears to have learned, at least to some degree, the difference between a decent Trek show and the dissapointment that Discovery had shown itself to be. The fact that they didn't double down and continue to tank the franshise with that show, indicates that they at least want to try to make it work. I feel that they may have learned.

Again, this is mostly down to Picard S3 ending on a high, and possibly them following up from that with the elements that worked. No more Michelle Yeoh led Section-31 shows in the works (Good luck funding that when she's got a new Oscar), or really any other silly backup series from Kurtzman. Just Trek shows that viewers actually want to see.

Pull that off, and I think there's hope for the future of Trek.

I'm not totally sure if it was a decision based on fan reaction to cancel it.

Discovery.

I have watched it up to now but no more

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree if Srar Trek is to continue to live long and Prosper it has to move forward into the 25th or 26 century with a whole new crew on a new ship on interesting adventures.

I loved TNG but the one thing I hated about that was the slightest bit of damage and all and at the end of the episode they were always running back to a Starbase. How were they supposed to get anywhere when they were always going back. They were supposed to be out on the edge of Federation space exploring new life and new planets.

Voyager certainly could abd should have been better.

DS9 once it got going was excellent but even in the first 3 seasons there us some great episodes and it done the best at developing its characters.

SNW and Lower Decks are both excellent while Prodigy is very good.

We need a show like SNW now but in the future.

The less said about that other show that somehow got 5 seasons the better. To me it is not Star Trek.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I trudged my way through I think 3 seasons of discovery then stopped.

So much wrong with it.

Lower Decks is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Ah Travelers was a great little show, pity it got cancelled but personally I think it ended pretty well and the conclusion worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoy a good timetravel story. BUT it has to make sense. I love the impact of time travel in stories. Twin Pines/Lone Pine in BTTF for example or the whole sequence with Carey Mulligan "talking" to The Doctor in the Doctor Who episode with the Weeping Angels.

But its "implementation" into Enterprise was poor at best. No real ramifications on the crew. They could have had a disposable character on the show. Somebody on the opening credits (Hell, the navigator who's name I can't remember). They are in the credits, have some scenes. Interact with the crew. Make them likeable. Entertaining. Then... Gone. Never existed. Only the time travel guy knows. Nobody else. Not even Archer. Just time traveller and us. That would have been impactful

The OP's statement of SNW being a TOS coverband, I thought initially was a bit harsh. I LOVE SNW. The entire season 1 knocked it out of the park and the cast are fantastic.... But I know what the OP means and can't say they are wrong. But hey, a good Cover Band can be great fun. I actually went to see the Bootleg Beatles at glasto the same time as the REAL Rolling Stones were on as I'd seen the Stones before they have phones it in since the 70s (I did hear they were fantastic after though)

I agree with the OP, first couple of seasons of Disco were pretty good. Mainly, admittedly, because, by that stage it was only around 85% Burnham. As opposed to 179.5% Burnham right now. Michelle Yeoh was great in first couple of episodes. Isaacs was Isaacs, The doctor and Engineer were very engaging without being creepy-possessive about a new adult character simply because they classified as non-binary. Voq was really interesting as Klingon and Human and well portrayed.

TOS was good fun but, y'know, dare I say it, not QUITE as good as people may remember. TNG was great and gave us some of the best episodes of Trek ever (Best of Both Worlds, Inner Light, too many to mention). DS9 was my favourite. Voyager was SUCH a step back after the daring DS9 and Enterprose was so bland I can barely remember it.

So regarding going forward... The doubling down on Burnham was a mistake. It is nothing to do with her gender or race or the actor (She can only work with what's given). But simply as has been said many many MANY times before, she is the least interesting character on the show. Anyone else interesting was moved on.

I have no problems with the overall style of the current shows. This season of Picard is definitely taking aesthetic from Discovery. I don't have a problem with that as such... It's a bit too dark for my liking but it's not the end of the world. But the over-reliance on a particular character needs to be addressed.

Look at the comments about the latest season of Picard: I am probably more negative about it than many butI LOVE Riker and Shaw in this season. It a show called Picard, they still give enough focus on other characters. To the betterment of the series. Sadly, from the trailers for Discovery, it seems this is NOT the case in Discovery. But, look at SNW. most of the characters got time to shine due to excellent writing, planning and direction.

So I think there is still space (No pun intended) for another show. It could be TNG/Picard era, could be a different era. I think it should still be a ship-based show. While Starfleet Academy set show could be good, I think producers/showrunners would panic after season one and switch from it being based in the Academy to having them all go on excursions-of-the-week and change the dynamic of the show.

Whatever they do though, they need to have likeable characters. And, not laser-focus on one.

I like this thread. While I don't agree with some, (or a lot) of the comments, I like to see other people's perspective on it.

I have a fondness for Voyager. While I never liked "always right" Janeway "always wrong" Chakotay. I thought it was true to the Stark Trek themes, exploration etc. Had strong characters and story arcs for the most park.

Was re-watching these shows with one of my kids. I only dipped in and out of them in my youth. But its been interesting to see what they liked and didn't like.

Watched mostly all of DS9, Voyager, Lower Decks

Mostly all of TNG but skipped more than the others.

Abandoned after a season, Discovery, Enterprise (which I don't think is that bad).

Almost abandoned Picard, S2 was tough going. But S3 been better.

Watched all of SNW so far.

Voyager had some good episodes and in a lot of ways better than discovery.

You could sit down and watch a random episode of voyager and feel very much at home in the trek universe.

Overall its characters were terribly boring but it had good episodes

It's funny story arcs became all the rage in the last 20 years but discovery went too far. With a lot of shows the arcs were a back drop not always the main action.

The arcs seemed to be front and centre pretty much all the time-in discovery. That's my memory anyhow .

Now id like to see more stand alone episodes in trek and SNW is not bad on this

It's not that story arcs are a problem, just bad writing is, be arcs or stand alone episodes.

I wouldn't agree the characters are "overall" boring. We got the EMH Doctor, Borg, Seven, Paris, Tuvok, Neelix, B'Elanna Torres, Species 8472, Hirogen etc.  

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Voyager had some good episodes and in a lot of ways better than discovery.

Yes it's way better than Discovery in every way. Discovery to me could be any sci-fi show. Voyager on the other hand is Star Trek but it could have been so much better too. There was so much potential with Voyager that was just wasted with a ship being so far away from the Federation all on it's own. It should have and could have been so much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

Very much this. Arcs work, when written well. Hell, DS9 didn't get a single last episode, it got a whole 8-episode arc!. It maybe a bit bloated in parts, but was still a sizable cut above any of the Discovery arcs, or what they did in the first 2 seasons of Picard. If Picard S3 sticks the landing, it will show that an arc can work in Trek (or any show) if *written well*.

I am hopeful that they have finally caught onto this, and have realised that you can't pack the writer's room with hacks and hope that the SFX & casting choices can paper over their lack of talent.

True not all characters were boring. Seven was good but let's face it the outfit while nice for male eyes was distracting...

Voyager was sold on a premise-how would a starfleet crew survive without starfleet?

Almost immediately though most of that premise was abandoned as the writers removed any of the obstacles the ship could face in the short term.

Dont know who to trust? Don’t worry, here’s a delta quadrant local with in depth knowledge of all the planets, and sure he can cook too so you don’t have to worry about rations.

Worried about how the maquis will work on your ship? No problem at all, most of them will be happy to stick on a Starfleet uniform, and half of them were at the academy anyway.

If Voyager took itself seriously then Chakotay should’ve constantly been publicly challenging Janeways decisions, and Janeway should have learned the hard way that she cannot just keep being starfleet without starfleet.

The show completely abandoned the premise imo when they decided to put them in regular contact with starfleet.

Having said all of that, I still enjoy it because it’s basically TNG: Delta Quadrant and it has some great standalone episodes, but it could have been so much more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think we are in a fantastic place with Trek.

SNW s1 was fantastic, Picard s3 is an absolute love letter to TNG, Lower Decks is a great show, Prodigy is like a Voyager sequel, and Discovery has improved as we head towards the end.

I think Trek fans can be rightly accused of wearing rose-tinted glasses. Many of the TNG/DS9/VOY episodes were meh.

If the can continue the Titan story with a new series instead of Discovery and can the S31 show, we'd be well set.

True Back in the day you only had one show to watch at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I never really was a fan of The Borg in Voyager.

The Borg in TNG. A single cube wiped out dozens of ships. The Federation were massively outmatched and barely survived. They were an ominous foe (Alright, was never really a fan of Hugh and the Lore/Borg thing but they were an offshoot).

Borg on Voyager. Oh those pesky Borg are back.... Then, in the last episode: Screwit, let's violate the Temporal Prime Directive and get us home. We only have 20 mins left

I feel you are conflating two different timelines. When the Borg were unknown, and thus no known weaknesses.

Then later both TNG and Voyager used new inside information from contact with the Borg to exploit weaknesses not previously known.

It's what I don't like about time travel, there's always and easy out, of an over complicated plot.

• Advertisement

I think the Borg were overused in Voyager. It was interesting when Voyager made a deal with them to get through Borg space but that should have been the end of it.

The one that annoys me most though is Q being there. As soon as Q shows up there’s no reason that they shouldn’t have been back in the alpha quadrant in time for dinner. It’s not like he was just there to antagonise them either, they flat out stop a civil war within the continuum.

Advertisement