Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'each to their own, i guess' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't really get the posters mentioning one particular sport. It makes more sense if you've no interest in any sport. I have no interest in basketball whatsoever. I couldn't watch a game. But I'll watch football anywhere, any time. So even though I have no interest in basketball (or plenty of other sports), I can see how others would, as it's the same feeling I have about football.

I think the thread is supposed to be about stuff that you can't understand anybody having an interest in.

So with coin collecting...here's a 1921 silver half-crown or whatever...so you held it in your nand and turned it over and had a good look at it, and now you put it in a display case....so what?

It's not just collecting stuff. I can understand people collecting records from bands they like or whatever. I collect stones - mainly from long walks/hikes I went on. I'll take a piece of stone home with me from the top of the mountain or whatever. But each stone evokes a mermory of a sort - the day I went on that particular hike. There's a personal connection, in a way that there isn't with an old coin or stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Dogs.

Great source of company for the elderly and maybe for teaching responsibility to kids but an extra source of expense and another hairy arse-hole to be smelling up the house.

Understand the attraction but not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I play 5 a side twice a week and run when I miss a game of 5 a side. The feeling I get after a 30 minute run is worth it, I get such a high from it, like im on ecstasy or something, it is great for your mental health as well. It got me through the lockdowns when I couldn't play 5 a side. I feel great after 5 a side but its nothing like the feeling after a 30 minute run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't really understand people that drink at home on a regular basis. The pub/restaurant yes but it just seems so pointless at home. And depressing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Drag shows and performances

Not at all in a “grrr men aren’t supposed to dress up like women”, toxic masculinity way (as the thread title says, to each their own), I just don’t really “get” what the point/appeal of it all is.

Obviously there’s a performance aspect to it but does it all hinge on it being performed a man dressed like a woman? I don’t really get what it adds because I probably wouldn’t be hugely interested if the same “routine” was done by a woman either.

The missus is mad into RuPaul’s Drag Race - I’ve watched a couple of episodes of it with her and I just don’t get what it’s all about!

I find the humour and the look of it all quite tacky and over dramatic…missus says that’s the point? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I dunno, I do hate and have always hated the Panto, even from a young age - perhaps it’s a holdover from that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah can you still get those huge posters to colour? I did one years ago when I was all but bedbound.. It got lost in a move,.... Absorbing and mind freeing from problems... Yes...doodleart.... WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ah thats fair enough, I'll give you a pass because you use it as a social thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How to tell the world you are protestant without telling the world you are protestant. 😁

P.S. If you are catholic and like cricket, get out.

To be fair though when it comes to cricket, you nearly have to be Einstein to work out the scores and it's a sport that you can't really walk in on a game and ask 'who's winning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We had to get one of our dogs put down last weekend. He was very sick. Many tears in the house I can tell you.

Smelly, annoying fcukers who wreck your house, kind of like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Do you not think you would have to use your brain to complete a 5000 piece jigsaw? Jigsaws are great to keep the brain active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am happy to 'help' someone else doing a jigsaw. I wouldn't set one up myself but if someone else is doing one I can offer advice and put in the odd piece. People get irritated with me, can't think why.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gambling/betting.

I don't really get the appeal at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know someone who used to earn a bit of cash on poker, which is a different kettle of fish to betting on horse races - which seems like a mug's game to me, and yes, i don't understand the attraction there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Those lip syncing tiktok videos. There was a time when that sort of behaviour would have been monitored by a psychiatric nurse. Now its considered influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Gaming, I don't get the appeal at all.

I am not interested myself but I can see how it could be entertaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another thing i don't 'get' is buying or owning powerful or expensive cars. or else, to put it another way, it's a stupendously expensive way of getting your enjoyment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s as good an explanation as any really - it’s an expensive hobby, but sure they have the money for it and they enjoy it. I can think of plenty of odd or bizarre pastimes or activities that leave me scratching my head, but it comes down to the same thing - I don’t get it, but they enjoy it, whatever it is. Be hard to pin it down to just one or two 😖

I used to love jigsaws but then needed something with an end product that did not get broken up again so started eg embroidery and gardening. It was a useful pathway to those occupations Would not dream of doing a jigsaw now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

attending GAA intercounty games of teams that never achieve anything and are there to make up the numbers. The stadiums are decrepit, there is no decent food or drink to be had in GAA grounds and yet people will still turn up and watch Wicklow vs Sligo or Fermanagh vs Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I totally see the appeal of certain games. Ones that test your abilities, be it skill or reactions or problem solving etc. The ones I don't get, and the irony here is that I 'play' these types of games, is the 'clicky' ones.

Ones where you are just clicking and not much else. So called 'idle' games. Very much a time waste, yet I find I still go back to them. It irks me. I should just delete them once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

what gets me about most 'fans' in ireland is that most will spend thousands a year to support a team they have little to no actual connection with in the UK but wouldnt dare to darken the door of their LOI team. obviously its a lower standard but still. not a GAA fan by any means but at least the players are representing their local areas

i was like that tbh but after trying it i was hooked in no time. im a fairly competitive person though so i enjoy the self-competition element of it even when im not playing with others. i get that its a bit hard to get into if you dont have a base level of ability too though

its just about supporting the team thats representing your local area in that case most likely. fair play to them imo too, easy to support a team thats doing well but it can be frustrating to support a rubbish one

i dunno, id be quite interested in a number of sports but i have little to no interest in any of the 'american' sports since theyre not really about the sport itself but about general entertainment.

soccer too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gambling , Once in a blue moon a footy accumulator i can understand but every gambler loses more than they win, As my old man used to say , Iv never seen a bookie on a push bike

Drinking lots at home, Id have 1 glass or maybe 2 of whiskey on a Saturday night to relax but i don't get people who get drunk at home i just don't understand it ,

Not exercising , your body is you , keep it fit & healthy iv no idea how people live life felling fat & unhealthy , Just makes no sense at all to me,

Owning dogs but living in a housing estates , I love dogs but you need land, they make your house smell, they crap in the garden & they shed everywhere, they dirty the floor, Just can't be worth the hassle ,

Joe Biden , The poor man needs to be taken care of & allowed to live a nice relaxed life, He isn't capable of stirring a sentence half the time but has to be the face of a nation its crazy

Your last para misses the reality. A dog is a companion animal and will be fine with their person. They are domesticated thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I understand why people love them , It just for me they are to much extra hassle if you don't have the land for them

Now i will say at the moment iv young children so maybe its just a time thing, I grew up with dog in the house & loved them , I just couldn't cope with the extra hassle now ,

What reality am i missing ?

How is Joe Biden a hobby or pastime?

mod The CT forum is over there. Don’t post rubbish* here.

*im not calling CT rubbish before anyone gets upset

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Going to the gym.

I can see why athletes and professional sportspeople would have to go but don't see the appeal for the general public.

• Advertisement

Fitness I presume? It’s like any other leisure activity (swimming, sports) you can do them even without being a pro or aspiring to be one but just because you enjoy it.

Advertisement