Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'each to their own, i guess' thread

Options
  • 02-03-2023 10:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭

those hobbies and pastimes that you've absolutely no beef with but just can't see the attraction of. i mean, i don't like golf, but i can understand there's a skill/challenge/reward to it, but other activities just leave you scratching your head.

i'll open the bidding with plane spotting; i pass along the side of dublin airport a lot so often see lads with long lenses taking photos of planes. i simply don't see the attraction. the vast majority of planes are just normal passenger planes, with some cargo planes and private jets thrown in the mix. i just don't see a sense of achievement, i guess?

much as i know i cannot set rules for the thread, it'd be more interesting if people posted about activities they don't understand, rather than ones they dislike. and just maybe someone who is a plane spotter might be reading this and would be able to let me know what i'm missing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Collecting stuff like coins and stamps...i just don't see what the appeal can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Ordinary Citizens Supporting one political party for life.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd have thought plane and train spotting was more to do with the order and logistics of arranging their movements, i do find ATC fascinating and is probably a missed calling for me, i love order.

Collected matchboxes, beermats and stamps in my teens which i still have, maybe collecting stuff was just something to do back then before the advent of the internet, having money, and multiple tv channels led to other distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Watching formula 1 motor racing. Both husband and son passionate watchers (on tv) and I could never see it. Neeeowww, neeeowwww round and round and that seemed to be all there was to it. They would never admit that they were just watching for the crashes, but I had dark suspicions that that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Climate change fascists and over the top environmentalists.

Basically the Nazi's of the 3rd millennium.

Scary the level of influence and traction they have now.

By the way..... it is 100% more likely that the Ozone is depleting due to an increase in Solar Flare activity. The irony, that such a cute little phenomenon, that has generated a tourist industry and flawed smiles around mortals bland after dinner conversation, is actually an uncontrollable Global Cancer that will most likely eradicate the human race is not lost on me and my lair.

It epitomises how clueless, misinformed "put your hands in the fire there" environmentalists really are? It is pathetic and the fact that dysfunctional autocracy's, such as the EU, are actually basing their long term strategy, on combatting a problem, they have no solution for, and using it as a reason to extort wealth from citizens they are pretending to represent and protect........ has the entire vampire population in stiches.

You couldn't make it up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You couldn't make it up ?

Goodness. There's passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Plane spotting is all about Variety, the type of aircraft is it civil/military/airplane/helicopter, where is it coming from, if military what is its job, also the liveries can be epic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Cricket - good lord. What is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Soccer, especially on the elite level. For 99% of most games, it's just boring passing, back and forth. Throw in some scandalous dives and life-ending-oh-wait-no-he-got-a-free-so-hes-fine injuries, verbal abuse from the rich to the working class(ish - refs) and it's worse than Fair City. The odd shot, complete with everyones valid opinion on how that elite player did everything wrong. Players are brilliant when they play good, and utter scutter when they play bad. Panto level stuff. Was better in the 90s when they actually tried to kill each other, or at least some did. Was more exciting.

I actually have a large list, it involves most things because I'm basically the polar opposite of most people. Most people on this thread would probably put my likes down here!

Also, kinda annoyed that the thread isn't called "The 'to each their own' thread"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Anyone influenced by strains of nationalist fascists ,compelled to ridicule other sports, to enable the fanatic survival of their own ...... should really examine their influences now, while they still have the chance or option to do so.

It is tragic that cricket in Ireland is such a victim of bigotry?

If it was such a crap sport ,why did the GAA feel compelled to ban it for over a century?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Like I said, I was hoping people wouldn't use the thread to exercise their beefs. Clearly your dislike overrode that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I guess the attraction there is collecting rare things? There's a challenge in a sense to completing a collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Online trolls and Walter Mittys who curate extravagant alter egos.

Car enthusiasts. I don't understand the fascination with cars at all, once it starts and gets me from A to B I'm happy.

Shopping as a hobby, aimlessly walking around shopping centres at the weekend. I'd rather bang my head off the wall.

Following celebrity gossip and being excited about a Kardashian arse is doing.

The compulsion to document your life on social media. Congrats, you're out for a meal or drink, why not just enjoy it and the people you're with?

Local busybodies who pride themselves on knowing their neighbours routines and when they get an Amazon or takeaway delivery. Bonus points if they're on the resident's committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Marathon running or Mountain climbing (big ones). I don't get it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Social media influencers. I haven't seen an influencer who didn't have a big ego or didn't come across like an utter tool. Just seems silly to me.

Post edited by Riddle101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'll second the golf.

It seems like a strange sport when so much of it is actually not on ball contact but rather walking to the ball.

It actually wouldn't be so bad if somehow you were just hitting balls constantly towards a target without the walk in between.

Maybe a driving range would be more my thing!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Doing jigsaws. Massive waste of time. I get its probably a brainless thing and not everything you do has to be productive or improve your life but still, seems very pointless (I appreciate the irony of a guy with over 7k posts on boards having this opinion)

Oh we love a jigsaw. Something we pick away at of an evening and have a few drinks maybe and talk about things as we pick at the pieces. We could be sat watching shite on TV otherwise. Another guilty pleasure is a colouring book for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Rugby.

To my mind, Rugby Union is the most boring sport ever invented. I'd rather watch someone fishing than watch Rugby Union. I f*cking hate Rugby Union.

At least fishing offers the possibility of food at the end of it.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

I've always thought the walk was the point. It's an excuse to spend the day somewhere outdoors with fairly nice scenery.

I've some friends who are very into it, I see the appeal but I tried a couple of times but it's the ball-hitting bit I couldn't get. Only sport I've ever tried where I literally just couldn't do it at all on the most basic level, I'd no notion at all what direction or at what speed the ball was going to go on any given swing I took.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d agree with climate change fascists… cant understand the mindset, the aggressive, in your face ignorant ones who never see any pathway to a cleaner healthier planet aside from attacking the ordinary citizen while giving a hall pass to businesses and corporations but will lambast x person for booking two flights a year. Or castigating an individual who needs to drive to work, but the very job they do is for a business that produces tonnes of carbon as part of their pursuit of profit…never get what that’s about, never understand that mindset.

People into…Collecting things that you can’t / don’t use yet which have no tangible aesthetic beauty either, which are more ‘curious’ stamps, wood carvings, candles, etc…

Old car enthusiasts… not classics just old ones, a neighbour has a driveway with multiple cars, which he owns, he is a qualified mechanic and that’s his 9-5 but I’ve known him since childhood and anytime you pass the house of an evening he’s under the bonnet of a 1992 BMW, 1990 Ford Granada, and one other I can’t recall … they never seem to get driven, he’s always in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like golf. I used to hate it, thought it was pointless and boring. Then I spent many evenings drinking and playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 98 or one of those years because the local had one of those PGA Tour golf arcade machines with the rolly ball and I wanted to get better - you could win money. Got used to the idea of the game, what everything is called, and it allowed me to appreciate the absolutely crazy shots some of them pull off in real life. But yeah, the walking is boring. You could skip that in the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

re spotting. Someone close to me was very into train and plane spotting. It is fascinating in its own way, garnering numbers and types. I could happily take to it.

I was very into this as a child and teenager. Just totally absorbing! I gathered dozens of jigsaws and completed them time after time. Now? No way! But they teach many things. Shapes, colours, hand and eye coordination skills... Maybe I SHOULD try one again! And yes that was way before TV

Do cats count? Collecting I mean... But seriously nine moves in 20 years has forced me to prune my garnerings. ... Although now i am settled... hmmm! Oh knitting yarn; cannot resist it.... Bags of it abound here..Always seeking more..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm kinda imagining you as looking like this, although without the craziness 😅

For me though I just don't get the whole running phenomenon or why there's so many people into it. I just find it so boring with little reward at the end other than getting a "good finishing time". One of the porters in the hospital I work in had to get two hip replacements at 40 years of age because he ran for years and years without bothering to build up any of his leg or glute muscles. The lack of protection around his hips combined with years of running completely wore out his hip joints.

• Advertisement

I once joined an online group called " Crazy Cat Ladies." lol... I do qualify..... moved from the tip of Cornwall to Orkney with 12 cats in a Mini once....! Down to three now but possibly more soon...

Advertisement