Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E10 finally coming in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Here's some interesting consumption stats in l/100km from my 4000 miles round trip through Europe this month, in my carbed 200T W124. Almost exclusively motorway driving in France and Germany.

Blue = E5-95 (French and German)

Red = E10-95 (F/G)

Green = E5-95 (Irish, filled up just before boarding the ferry)

Yellow(ish) = E5-98 (G)

I don't know what's wrong with Irish fuel, but it's the same picture every time. At least 2 l/100km more on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

100 octane here in Bulgaria €1.50 a litre💥 very few diesel cars, 95 is €1.30 with diesel slightly dearer or the same price. Couldn't get close enough to a pump to see if was E10 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Apparently the Millers product is proving good so far. Garden equipment suppliers are also selling an additive which will work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

2l / 100 km extra is a massive difference - it is almost an uplift I would expect from open road driving to town. 0.2 l would be noticable, but 2 litres is hard to believe. Was the car driven in similar conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Yes, it's all data from a single trip in Europe. I don't have exact stats, but safe to assume 90/10 motorway/city split.

I am now on my third tank of E10 in my 300SE and I have treated each tank with the recommended Millers E10 additive dose and a dose of Dipethane. I can see no performance difference and no starting issues after being in the shed for two weeks. I know its early on in the scheme of things but some of the telltale signs of E10 I'm not seeing.

I suppose the proper test would be to try a tank without any additive, then a tank with millers followed by a tank with that dip snake oil.

"that dip snake oil"

Dipethane is far from snake oil! Had you said that a year ago I could have furnished you with the test results from a client of mine who trialled Dipethane in their fleet of large diesel engines trucks. The fuel savings over the six months test period was 8% and emissions reduction was in the order of 12% and the smoke reduction quite noticeable. The client was very happy! Retired now and all the results are with my former company.

Dipethane works but it does not cure the issues with E10. The Millers does that. E10 does not burn as well as E5 so I put in the Dipethane to try to overcome that issue.

I tried it on the last car I had, a 191 diesel superb, found absolutely no difference whatsoever, millers on the other hand made a noticeable difference, less regens, better fuel consumption etc. Maybe the car was too new to benefit from Dipethane. I tried it in my heating kerosene and the burner chamber definitely looked cleaner when I serviced it the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

So, does the additive from Millars really work? Is it worth buying?

Post edited by Titzon Toast on

I don't know as I've only started using it. In a years time if all my rubber components have perished I might reply differently but as yet its too early to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I've found some additives to try just in case. They could be snake oil but I guess I'll find out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I've been using this one (simply because that's all they had in my local factors):

The guys in the MB club forum reckon that either this, Millers or Lucas should be fine. I'm on my 2nd or 3rd fill now (unsure as the first one said E10 on the pump nozzle and E5 on the pump itself under the display!). Before I used to get 10 gallons (45.5L) at a time for easy checking of MPG, now I get 25L so it's not sitting as long.

No problems to report at this stage. Fuel consumption is hard to say, actually been a lot better than normal, but then I've also been to several shows and runs of some distance. I might try running without additive as suggested above to satisfy my curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I have a 1957 Ford 100E sidevalve, which I drive some weekends (generally clock up approx 1,000 miles a year).

The first summer I had it (summer of 2018) I suffered a few problems of vapourisation - not wanting to restart while hot because the fuel had boiled. I resolved these with two fixes - a head-shield between the exhaust manifold and the carb, and a reconditioned fuel pump (as the old one was worn and weak). (it's a mechanical fuel pump at the front of the engine, the fuel flowing to it by gravity).

The car has been great ever since, even in hot weather.

Yesterday I had to put in E10 for the first time, and had a major vapourisation issue pretty much straight away. Unlike 2018 when it would re-start after 30 mins, I had to wait an hour before it would fire up. I nursed it home, and when I parked it in the garage I could see the fuel in the clear fuel filter literally boiling like a kettle.

So, I'm going to have to re-think my options. For now I'll have to avoid summer driving, but I'll look into additional heat shielding, lagging the front portion of the exhaust pipe, or possibly an electronic fuel pump.

Steve

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Only issue Ive found with the lucas (the one I use) is that there is no "measurement" section, so I end up pouring about 1/4 of the bottle in on each fill

Did you try using one of the additives suggested?

Problem is with these additives, none of us will actually know if they work until its too late! maybe all classic car clubs should organise runs to Newry so we can fill up with E5 98!!

Well, in the case of the sidevalve Ford the results should be apparent almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Read this recently on the Libby library app ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I had an issues earlier this month from what I now presume was my first fill of E10 back in July. Classic hot start issues, would just randomly die when hot and refuse to start until it cooled down a bit, car down on power also.

Drained the tank and the fuel was very cloudy and not the crystal clear you'd normally expect. The tank had only been cleaned last winter so I'm confident there weren't any issues with it.

Not willing to bin 40l of petrol, I refilled with the appropriate amount of E10 additive and the car has run perfectly since.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

@Buffman Nice to hear the additive actually did something, I'm using one too, but there is always a doubt in my mind am I paying for snake oil! Which one do you use?

I used to always fill with 45.5 L (10 gal) so I could easily keep an eye on my MPG, but since E10, I've reduced the fill to 25L so as not to have petrol in the tank too long, plus my additive bottle has a measure for every 5L up to 25L.

Ye, I think I'll be leaving little enough in it over winter, might just drain the system and throw it in my daily. At the moment I have a bottle of Wynn's E10 protector I'm using, but I'll be shopping around online over winter for some as prices seem to vary wildly for them.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

The forcing of E10 only is simply a not very stealthy tax increase. People will burn more hence pay more tax.

A question for any Wynn's users. With the last two bottles I got I ran into a problem. The cap is one of those kid safe ones where you have to push and turn, in both bottles once I got down to the last 3rd of it, the top of the bottle collapsed under the pressure of pushing down on the cap and it took ages to open the bottle again.

Anybody else experience this?

With those narrow neck measurement bottles I just hold them by the top measurement part while opening the cap. It can be a bit tricky squeezing the last drop out of it but never had any issues with collapse.

Thanks, yeah, I think I was holding it with the main part of the bottle, I'll try as you suggest. For now I just very lightly screwed the cap on. Crazy we have to do this, when I was a kid my mother just said don't drink the bleach etc, and I didn't . Progress, eh :)

Anyone having real issues with E10 yet? I started up my ride on today which has had E 10 since last summer. No issues! All my petrol cars are behaving themselves and I can see no difference

I've done about 1,500 miles with E10 without any issues, using Wynn's plus just filling up with 25L at a time so it's not sitting too long.

I'm due an oil change in the next few months so I'll inspect the fuel lines while under the car.

So, you have been sitting with a tank of E10 since the summer? I believe one of the issues it that is could absorb moisture and rot the tank from the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

We have have a 2007 golf petrol which we don't drive a lot and had a lot of problems with a tank full that looked like this. Had to get it pumped out. I know the Golf is rated for E10 but it's never run right with it.

Advertisement