Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E10 finally coming in...

Options
  • 23-02-2023 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Right, the day has come and we'll be getting E10 petrol at the pump in April. Two of my three classics can't handle it too well, one is from the 70s another form late 80s. Old materials that don't like ethanol etc.

I'll still drive them, but wonder how long they'll standup to the abuse. All the snake oil additives are largely useless anyway.

What's your plan?

Post edited by _ptashek_ on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My plan is the same as it is now.

Use fresh fuel, and in the winter when in storage, use StaBil.

For the bike I might try using Aspen fuel when not in use.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is StaBil worth it? I've 3 classics that dont get driven for a few weeks at a time and concerned about leaving E10 sitting in tanks for that amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian_Graham

Looks like certain Lexus models from the mid-noughties are not compatible with E10. Are they pretty worthless now?

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Lexus

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MK1 GTI here an I'm wondering the same, sounds like it can do damage, wondering about fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel sender, fuel tank etc. Mine doesn't have a carb but it's mechanical fuel injection.

From what I've read the timing can be adjusted to accommodate the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I've just been reading the MB club forum on this, seems we at least need to change our rubber fuel lines. No idea about the rest like pumps, injectors and mechanical injector pump (or distributor?). I guess for carb cars the float might be at risk if plastic?

Edit: found this video on the forum, specific to MX5s but also general info - start at 1:40

Post edited by MrCostington on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I think the main issues will be rubber components in fuel systems, things like diaphragms and seals. I also think that if the systems are used regularly then there will be no real issues, however, if, like me you only use your classics when the sun shines then E10 will cause issues. E10 has been around for a good while but in most European markets there is the 97/98 Octane E5 option as well - expensive but at least its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My plan with my bike that I rarely use, is to drain the fuel tank/ run it dry, and then put 5 or 10L of alkylate petrol into it while it's in storage (indoors)

alkylate petrol can be bought in garden centers and plant hire shops, it's not cheap at €30 for 5L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's terrible that there's no alternative available at the pumps, at least in other countries you have the option of E5 higher octane fuel. Are all the additives useless?

On the MB forum, someone posted a video from a well known MB expert (from the US where they have been running E10 for many years) and he mentioned a Lucas product, not sure if this is it:

https://www.autofactorswaterford.ie/product/lucas-ethanol-fuel-conditioner-155ml/

IMO, the thing with all these additives, or indeed choosing the right oil, is unless you're a chemist with a lab, or, run your car on them for 10 years and then strip it down, you have no real way of knowing if they are doing anything!

Was forced to upgrade internal tank and external fuel pipes to E10 compliant since my post.

She refused point blank to start after a good run, pipes in the fuel tank connected to the internal tank fuel pump had turned to goo and wouldn't let fuel up. Some running along the body were also rotten and started leaking.

Took about 3 pints of rust from the fuel tank, and the Dyson is still working I'm happy to report.

Running sweet now and didn't cost much, even got the jubilee clips thrown in from the motor factors.

Thank you Mr Fuel Gauge for failing and making it an easy first go fix.

• Advertisement

@drunkmonkey Sorry to hear that. Is E10 available now, how long was it running on it for? Where did you get the hoses from if you don't mind?

No it's not in yet I think, age got the better of them. I just got regular E10 compatible fuel lines from the auto factors and cut to size.

Ah, get you now. On my first reading of your post I assumed E10 had caused the issues you mentioned.

Thanks, good to know you can get E10 lines at a motor factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Any decent fuel hose marked as compatible with the SAEJ30R9 standard is E5/E10 proof. Most sold in parts stores and online are however SAEJ30R6, and are "Ethanol tolerant", i.e. they'll work with E5/10, but at a much shorter life span. Most of our cars have SAEJ30R6 or even older stuff...

Ive still not done anything yet on my car apart from brim it with E5 the last few days of March, still have half a tank left.

Just spoke to a mate he thinks his local station still has E5, could that be the case? I thought it was E10 only? He put E10 in his '04 Fiesta and shortly after had to call out the breakdown service, might just be a coincidence.

Anyone had any experience of it yet?

I'm using E10 in my daily driver (VW T Roc) and I see no difference. I also have it in my W126 300SE and all is good. I didn't mean to put it in but I went to the GO Fuels forecourt in Ashford and they had changed over very early and I hadn't noticed. Car is running fine with its dose of Dipethane. Ill take it out again in a week and see if there is any difference.

How do you know what fuel you got? Stickers on the pump handle? If so nothing has changed at my local maxol they're all still showing E5. Lying up is when the problems start, be interesting to see your observations.

I have, but in France (should make no difference - same EU standard applies).

My K-jetronic 450SE didn't like it one bit. The fuel was too volatile and was causing vapour locking in the, otherwise perfectly running, fuel system. Hot restarts were a major PITA - similar effect as if the pressure accumulator in the system was defect (which it wasn't). But once the vapour lock was pushed through, everything ran the same as on E5.

Just recently, a couple weeks back, my carbed 200T had no issue with E10. Ran the same as on E5, cold or hot. Consumption was a bit higher - but that's expected with E10.

What happened to the fiesta? It could have been anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

The legislation came into effect in April, I understand garages have 3 months to switch over, so it'll be July before E5 disappears completely.

• Advertisement

@w124man Your 126 is a late model I think? With a cat and O2 sensor?

@_ptashek_ Damm, that's not good news. Can anything be done to reduce this issue?

@CoBo55 He is not sure, other than he had a breakdown, Not a car guy!

@gipi Thanks for that. My local garage just has the one E10 petrol pump, but I'll check some of the bigger stations.

@MrCostington This could be an issue specific to that car. The M117 V8 creates a lot of heat under the hood, and the fuel distributor and injector lines sit uninsulated right on top.

Bonnet.

I'm assuming it didn't happen when he was using E5 which is why he posted it here, that would be my logic.

Yes. Stickers on the pump. However, I have since seen a pump with both stickers on the pumps and handle

I was getting diesel earlier and all the pumps are showing E5, Top oil garage.

Was watching Wheeler Dealers yesterday and they were doing a Dolomite Sprint. 'Elvis' rebuilt the carb with an E10 compatible kit, so these kits are out there for some cars (but not mine it seems).

But found this while searching, main part on E10 is about a quarter way down the page:

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

I have injection. What I meant was I was hoping there may be a similar kit for me, with rubber parts for injector seals, fuel distributor etc.

• Advertisement

Dolly Sprints work on the SU carb so there is a huge market for relevant E10 kits

Advertisement