Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Berties PR machine really powerful enough to pull this off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The only thing about Ardal is everyone will automatically think of his most famous role.

You can imagine all the meme etc now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don’t think it needs to be someone particularly young, but I’d like to see a woman, seeing as we haven’t even had a female Taoiseach yet 🙄 Someone like Adi Roche or Mairéad McGuinness.

I’d rather scrap the role of President altogether than see Ahern take it. It would be a shameful day for the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,635 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iirc the real hero of that final phase of the GFA was Mo Mowlam, it was her who thrashed out the final details that got the agreement over the line. There was reports of all parties being in Stormont in separate rooms and Mowlam spent almost 24 hours going back and forth between the rooms holding Republicans and Unionists and pushing them into the agreement.

She was exhausted but kept it going constantly walking the corridors from room to room barefoot and with her wig off. She basically pushed all parties to put pen to paper and she wasnt leaving that building until they did. She was suffering brain cancer at the time which was something that she had hid from Tony Blair because she wanted to stay on as Northern Ireland Secretary to get the GFA over the line.

For me Mo Mowlam has always been a true hero of the GFA along with Hume & Trimble. Bertie was a bit part player in comparison to what they did, in fact Albert Reynolds and John Major both did way more than Ahern to bring peace to NI, it was them who set the wheels in motion. Especially Major because he risked his entire political career just by negotiating with the IRA, he put peace way above his own political interests when he didnt have to.

AFAIK if Michael D decided to retire in 2015 then there was a good chance Miriam might have ran for it as an independent FF candidate. She never ruled it out when she was asked if she would run and she was certainly enjoying the attention about it that she was getting in the thrashy magazines that she constantly gives interviews to so she can get the free clothes from the photoshoot and they can blow smoke up her hole, ('Mom of 8 kids, wow!Amazing!' ad infinitum).

But more recently she did her monthly interview with one of those thrashy magazines who told us how great Miriam is for the umpteenth time and she finally ruled a run for the Presidency out when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,472 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So Miriam is definitely out then? Thanks be to fcuk for that.

Ahern has made (supposedly) flippant comments about how "first he has to see if he's alive in 2025" and such like, but he doesn't look a well man lately and I certainly wouldn't bet money on him seeing out a presidential term.

We really need to tighten up on the council nomination process to keep out the headbangers or at least reduce their number. 4 or 5 (crap) candidates getting nominated through the councils, with 2 or 3 on top from the large political parties, is just nuts. Dana and f*ckin' Dragon's Den, ffs, and some people even voted for these clowns.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder if he's thinking 'will this be what follows me around if i throw my hat in the ring?'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Of course not.

He'll just tell them to jump off the nearest building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Enough of establishment figures like Higgins and the other parties keeping a grip on the Aras.

I voted for Casey last time around - we need more choice not less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

indeed, a 'why don't they just commit suicide' is already considered one of his finest moments.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We really need to tighten up on the council nomination process to keep out the headbangers or at least reduce their number. 4 or 5 (crap) candidates getting nominated through the councils, with 2 or 3 on top from the large political parties, is just nuts. Dana and f*ckin' Dragon's Den, ffs, and some people even voted for these clowns.

You mean like when Laois Co Co gave their blessing to Gemma O'D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I see this thread and it makes sense. . .

I was driving along through the little Essex village we now call home. Andrew Marr is on LBC, I always have a bit of time for him, even more so now he's no longer shackled by the BBC. Then another voice. . .not just an Irish/Dublin accent but an actual familiar voice. . .and then it hit me and I almost hit a cyclist with the shock, "fcuk off, that scumbag is not back on the scene??? The horsie winnings under his mattress must be running low" was my immediate thought.

Oh no if we had Miriam we would need to not only find jobs for all the kids in RTE but also all the kids in the Aras….disaster for tax payer

In reality the last time Casey was the only one telling the truth about the people of travelling dissent, while the rest lying through their teeth about how they would have them in for tea and biscuits no problem if they pulled up on the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Any chance that this is all a false flag operating by Bertie and he’ll just be hocking a book or newspaper column in the end?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

It's rather interesting and almost amusing how selective certain people's memories can be. Take the GFA - the fact is that you make peace with your enemies (not your friend's) In this instance the leaders of the warring parties were the IRA led by the late Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams and on the opposing side the UK Government and their allies in the North a.k.a. loyalists led by the likes of Trimble and others (the militant wing) Why the constant effort to write the likes of Adams & McGuinness and others out of the GFA ? Like the IRA or loath them, the fact is that without the armed struggle the Catholics of the North would still be second class citizens, just like the black people of South Africa were for many decades. It took an armed struggle for the South to gain independence, ditto for the North for the minority to gain equal rights - they literally had to fight & struggle to ensure a place at the top table. Bertie & his ilk had very little to do with it but he's now trying to reap a harvest on seed he did not sow. With a bit of luck his efforts will be in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Correct, but I thought we were just talking about politicians from the South

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Good god they cant help creaming over his show on newstalk. Even the news bulletin references the guy. Sold their souls to the devil

The first part of your post about selective memories is correct

Then you give an excellent example of selective memory

If you get so upset about it why not stop listening to it?

Just an outside the box idea

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Stanley 1

Don't think the sales of his one and only buke would justify a follow up, no way would there be an up front fee unless he supplied it to the publishers, in cash like.

• Advertisement

sure he got the artist's exemption based on that book, it was obviously a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FF may not see it but Bertie is doing massive damage to their already discredited brand. They should not have let him back into the party. I hate that he is back on our TV screens.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I like some of the shows. Fairly sure its not the presenter's fault

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Judging by the contents of your posts directed at discrediting me, I doubt there is much point. But no mind, I'll share them to anybody else that may be interested.

'Armed Struggle - The History of The IRA' - Richard English - (Macmillan 2003)

'The New Spymasters - Inside Espionage from The Cold War to Global Terror' - Stephen Grey - (Penguin Books 2015)

'A Secret History of The IRA' - Ed Maloney - (Penguin Books - 2002)

'Modern Ireland' - RF Foster - (Penguin Books - 1989)

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

And as for "ignoring him so he'll go away". Nope, that attitude lets in all sorts of shylocks historically

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FF at any point after April can signal their looking elsewhere and drop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

https://www.independent.ie/videos/protestors-interrupt-bertie-aherns-receiving-of-honorary-doctorate-in-dcu-42366802.html

Protestors interrupt Bertie Ahern's receiving of honorary doctorate in DCU

he got more than he had expected this evening in DCU!!

proper order , hopefully he crawls bavk under his cash filled mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bigroad

Would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Allinall

I doubt it very much, seeing as she had been dead for the last 15 years.

Advertisement