Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Berties PR machine really powerful enough to pull this off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

Ahern won't run for President, he likes being talked about and doing the rounds of media, so there's no need for him to rule it out, if he leaves it open as a possibility he maintains an interest.

As an aside, it is interesting though how the Good Friday Agreement anniversary is bringing together Blair one of the prime instigators of the illegal war in Iraq, his central propagandist Alastair Campbell who helped lie about the war and Bertie Ahern who facilitated the illegal war through the use of Shannon Airport despite Ireland's alleged military neutrality. Ahern even met George Bush in the North to discuss 'peace' in the North while Bush's troops were murdering innocent people and now these lads are wheeled out to condemn the illegal war in Ukraine...you couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Be a serious step down for Mairead. I doubt she is looking to retire from the Commission anytime soon.

My prediction is that Bertie will disappear back to retirement when all this anniversary business is over.

He’s just raising his profile for the speaking circuit. He did a similar operation years ago when he had people convinced he was leaving to be the next Commission President in the early 00’s. The EC weren’t even considering him. But it is forever there in the press archives, just like this will be.

Doubt he wants his every speech and trip subject to the approval of the Taoiseach of the day in any case.

It is at least entertaining to see this charade at the moment and be reminded how bad our politicians were. No bank account, whip arounds etc. No consequences.

Misfeasance on a planning application, today, ‘You’re finished!’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bertie doesn't need a PR machine.

He's powerful enough to pull himself off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Karppi

Dear Lord, what a mental image. I suppose I should be glad he still has the strength

At this stage we’re just voting for the Person we’d least begrudge to gift a mansion and 7 years of expenses and huge salary

does Bert fit that criteria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, the President reviewes legislation and also represents the country and its values. And to a considerable degree we the people have choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TagoMago

I'd welcome Bertie running for presidency, he managed to avoid a lot of the grilling last time around, by the time everything had come to light he had ridden off into the sunset and let Biffo, Lenihan, and the others take the brunt of things. A few live TV debates should remedy this and whoever the Sinners put forward would duly oblige.

It would be no harm to remind people of how recently FF tanked the country too, think peoples memory's have been a bit short in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well, needs must.

Especially given he was no longer able to ride the electorate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Given his recent return to the public eye I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on something.

He was minister for finance and seemingly had no personal bank account.

How was he paid his salary ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He got paid in pints of Bass and Bacon Fries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Late 80s early 90s public sector workers were probably paid by cheque rather than bank transfer. So I'd imagine the excuse is he cashed the cheques and went about his business with cash.

Dodgy enough sounding now, but probably not uncommon at the time (but not for a Minister of Finance in case it needs to be said).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Cheque ?

Cash ?

Paid to someone else's bank account ?

(Edited to remove snide remarks)

I am sick of hearing his voice on the airwaves. The sooner the GFA anniversary is over, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You think he is just leaving the airways after the anniversary. I have some bad news for you. He ain't, he is getting ready for a presidential election

If he does, he will make a complete fool of himself. Yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There's already a thread in AH to cover comments re. the GFA.

As for his salary payment arrangements that was covered in the Mahon Tribunal.

On the phone now so no link but should be easily found.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bertie, Charlie, Boris. I don't need to say any more. Those referred to on first name terms are usually the sly devious ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mr Ahern was quizzed yesterday about why he did not open a bank account after he was separated from his wife in 1987. The tribunal heard that Mr Ahern did not operate any bank accounts between 1987 and 1993, when his marital separation was legally finalised.

Pretty obvious what was going on there

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

It depends who the alternatives are, that's how Micheál O'Higgins got in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see two articles listed on the Irish Times homepage which sound like they're painting a sympathetic picture of the weasel (I won't provide actual links because I don't want to promote his crap)...

Bertie Ahern interview: I see all this stuff now about TDs with 20 houses - I’m still with me one house

...and...

'I think I was very badly treated': Ahern says he should have taken constitutional challenge against planning tribunal

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Talking up his involvement in the Good Friday Agreement is most likely the first step in the rehabilitation of his public image. Once we get a set date for the next election they'll most likely begin the second step. The Celtic Tiger Years. "Remember the Good Times' will be his campaign slogan.

You would do better to read those articles rather than tell us what you think they sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

If younger voters don't know or care about Sinn Fein's past then Bertie would fancy his chances.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are paywalled so maybe you'd like to summarise the key points for us if the headlines aren't a good indicator

Yes I see that they are marked subscriber only.

I am a subscriber so I read them and found them interesting.

They are quite long and I would take too long to do justice to them so I'll just leave the links here for anyone interested in following them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

try pasting the URL into archive.is It sometimes gets you around the paywall.

Stink of his usual spin off it. Trying to excuse not having a bank account still. ‘They were all in my wife’s name’

‘I couldn’t afford to go to the High Court to stop the Tribunal’ You were on a quarter of a million a year and if you won, you’d have got your costs. Why on Earth would you not do it if you had a good chance of winning? And if you lose, so what? You’ll end up resigning anyway

I would have more respect for him if he held his hands up and said, ‘yes, I should’ve opened my own bank account when I got separated and gotten a bank loan when I was a bit short at one point.’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Well the Green party got in taxing running the country again, so people do forget.

Advertisement