Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most unfriendly county?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dublin by some distance. Think it's the same in most major cities though, London wouldn't be that friendly but Liverpool I can't get away from the locals they talk so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Know of a pub owner near Croke Park who says there’s always an air of menace whenever Tyrone are playing.

Dubliners are all sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Mayo, East Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Tbh the entire country is less friendly now than it's ever been in my lifetime.

The cost of living and the housing crisis has all but the most well off bitter to the back teeth. Which is not surprising - it's tough to take another recession (on top of inflation) right after the trauma of the pandemic. Ask anyone who works in a public facing role, they'll tell you people are worse than ever to deal with now. Just no patience any more and more antagonistic.

I was in college during the 2008 recession and it didn't feel as gloomy as this, even with half the businesses in town shutting. At least there was places to live and you could get 3 pints for a tenner now you wouldn't even get 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You are wrong! lol... We are an eclectic mix from all over the world...Very few original islanders left.. You should know that ... and I was talking re Mayo in general not out here. Of all the Irish counties I have resided in Mayo is the friendliest by far. As for unfriendly? As in least approachable? No one county but parts of each county. Mostly towns. But for me? Mayo is tops.. Mainland or island..Leitrim was not too friendly... Sligo even less

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭lmk123

Tyrone, different breed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Louth sort of. I lived in Dundalk recently for work for over 2 years and in general got a very unfriendly vibe off them. Odd considering the place is walking with foreigners. Being served at tescos or the like by locals they'd be all chat to a local but clam up or shoot down chat when your not local. Was asked if I was a guard a couple of times out walking or at a bottle bank, maybe i do look like one a bit. The weird fcuking stare they have that traces you out of sight.

In work there was different because its a closed environment and it's expected to treat people with decency so they acted different. Now I can't say that about anyone from Drogheda quite the opposite but I've never met locals in Drogheda.

I think it makes a big difference if you meet them in their home area or away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Im from east galway and find the west thick ignorant arrogant bunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DrivingMrDaisy

Dublin for me and im from Dublin especially south county Dublin. Internationally it's the Swiss never met a bigger bunch of ignorant twits in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Apologies Grace, I took it that you found it unpleasant and thus it was representative of the county! My bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

I find the unionist are pretty sound, spent some time in bushmills area in paisleys heartland and they very nice people.

do a better chipper too than the sh1t we get in the free state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

As a returnee still found Irish people very friendly. Dublin not what it was honestly partly because of a huge and fairly transient immigrant population , their English skills are often poor and often lacking in the Irish easy going vibe.

Yes it's a generalisation but truth to it. Plus Dublin has become a very busy big city. Time pressured. Some middle class people and drivers look very stressed.

But overall you really can't beat the Irish for friendliness. Neighbours will still chat and say hello. Irish are exceptionally gifted and open to talking with others. You will know this if you travel overseas. We traditionally have a way of warming up a conversation with small talk and seeing where it goes, especially middle aged to older people (yes can be annoying if too curious or judgmental lol). This is a learned skill. I hope mobile phones and globalization don't kill our unique vibe off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The answer is Carlow. Seriously, has anyone met a nice person from that county?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

If you're finding a whole county to be unfriendly, it may not be them who are the arseholes 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I always found Cavan people a fine & sound people!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Olympush

SAYS NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I found East Galway the unfriendliest & unwelcoming area and Donegal the most disrespectful of other people, the way the drive for example. 

Dublin the friendliest followed by Cork and Sligo with city and town people being more open, less reserved & less likely to suffer from the whole "keeping up with the jones’s" superior attitude. 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,590 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I find people in Cork City have strange attitude towards Dubs,

Very paranoid or something always think your trying get one over on them even in simple conversations, Its like they think Dubs think there superior its all very strange ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can't judge people based on arbitrary lines drawn by the Brits.

Also the answer is Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Im too lazy to read back through the thread, any county that hasn’t been named yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Leitrim I think. But in fairness, it's hard to be friendly/unfriendly when there's nobody there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

East Galway is the most cliquey place I’ve ever lived, unless you’re seed, breed and generation, they view you as an alien , unbelievably narrow minded folk

Monaghan folk are very friendly too , wouldn’t trust a Monaghan man as far as I’d throw one but they are likeable cowboys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we spent several days in bushmills about five years ago, around new years, and have to say that we were basically shunned by most of the locals when in the village.

you'd think local restaurants would welcome business during the off peak, but the most obvious example was walking into a restaurant with no-one seated at any tables and being told 'sorry, we're fully booked'. we walked past the place an hour or two later and it was still nearly empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Roscommon, anyone I've ever met from there was was either humourless, defensive, obnoxious or tight with money/information.

I'm not sure what their problem is, is it that they haven't decided if they are in the Midlands or the West and are jealous that other Connacht counties have a coastline. They love slagging off Mayo for failing to win a senior All Ireland since the 1950s yet Roscommon last won one in the 1940s. Their county town is one of the smallest and most miserable ones in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

People are very friendly to outsiders in busy tourism counties where it's worth their while to be friendly to outsiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Is that why the road rage in Dublin is the worst in Ireland?

Advertisement