Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most unfriendly county?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Limerick. Especially a couple of areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

arseholes be everywhere on this planet!

If you're finding a whole county to be unfriendly you can console yourself with the thought that it's probably just because their lives are complete sh*t. So there's that, I suppose.

I'm usually a "everyone is the same everywhere" person but since I started working in sales, I do notice patterns! Stuff about people from Ulster being rude is nonsense - they're dry humoured all right, but overwhelmingly sound. Cork - very nice but that's probably because I too am from Cork and they hear it. Dublin, the west, southeast - all grand. The Midlands has the most standoffish folk. And of course these are all general patterns - the opposite can apply too, but significantly less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

East Galway is all about the local , if Brad Pitt walked into a dinner dance at the local , he’d be sat in the corner for the evening while Tommy ( ten chins ) K who scored the winner in the under 16 county final 1991 would have all the local lassies on his good knee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,944 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Been in every county in Ireland and the place I found it hardest to engage with people was Cork. Went several days without chatting to anyone more than cursory questions or requests to buy a pint or a bite to eat. Never had a break like it to be honest, home or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Worked in every county. Roscommon by far the friendliest and unpretentious. Mullingar is a lovely town, very friendly also. Ireland is generally a very friendly country with a minority of unfriendly people thrown into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'm sorry to hear that, i like to think we're a sound bunch but everywhere has it's share of assholes. Was this Cork city or the county or both? As for the thread title i can't really answer tbh.

The counties i've been to outside of Cork are Kerry, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Dublin, Galway and Mayo. In all those places i encountered some nice people and some not so nice people, but i find from my experience that people in Limerick Waterford and Mayo are the friendliest imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Edinburgh very unfriendly and not a bit interested in Irish people. Dublin people lovely and Wicklow people.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,944 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Cork City. I booked a place for a break away on my own and to be honest the only person in the 4 days I engaged with in terms of banter/chat was the dorrman of a nightclub with an English accent. I don't think it was me, I am not socially shy and never had a problem anywhere in Ireland or abroad.

Curious thing is that since that, I have come to know a Corkonian well through her marrying family and she is great, and would talk the proverbial hind legs off and is sound as a pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

A man was looking to buy a new house and went to the wise old man to find out what the locals were like. The wise old man asked him what the locals were like in the area he was currently living in. 'They , are unfriendly, bitter, backstabbing people' said the man. The wise old man said that you will find that the people here are exactly the same.

A second man was looking to buy the house and also went to the wise old man to find out what the locals were like. The wise old man asked him what the locals were like where he currently lived. 'They are friendly, kind and generous' he said. The wise old man said you will find that the people here are exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Was Edinburgh once. The Leicester fans were sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I find Cork City challenging at the best of times tbh. It's just not friendly. It feels more coldly urban than even Dublin. There's an edge of sarcasm to every interaction and I just sometimes don't know how to interact with that. West Cork and other areas of the county aren't like that at all. It's all bubbly and would put you in great humor. They're really friendly. There's just this totally unwarranted air of aloofness from some of the city centre types and it's quite the opposite to Dublin actually. I find Dublin traders, publicans, shop keepers and so on tend to be more likely to be all banter and super friendly.

I've also had some of the most obnoxious taxi trips ever from certain Corkonian taxi drivers, such as sitting into a cab at Cork airport and getting:

"Nice for some!... Off on your hols were you?" "Yeah, I was..." "Must be nice to be able to just jet off like that.. Some of us have to work for a living!"

I was like WTF did I do here?!? Is that meant to be smart arse slagging humour that I'm supposed to find entertaining? Or, do they genuinely hate me? I never know which it is.

I've just had some very weird interactions over the years that despite living here sometimes make me feel like I'm not part of the city at all. Yet I could spend a week in West Cork and it's all banter and chat and come away feeling totally uplifted.

Post edited by RetroEncabulator on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'll second Kilkenny actually.

Their hurling supporters are pr1cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

I've lived for years in Carlow and Kilkenny. I can tell you from experience people in Kilkenny are far nicer.

I've experienced rude shop assistants and unfriendly people in Dublin and other places as well, i've met some friendly shop assistants and friendly people too. It would be a 50/50 mix overall i'd say. I think taxi drivers in general can be arseholes.

I once said to a taxi driver in Galway it's a bad day today, jesus i didn't know that at all was the reply! He said it in a really angry tone of voice as well, and there was no further words exchanged until i paid him his fare without tip!😁 I'm sorry that your experience of our city wasn't the best, but i'm glad that you enjoyed West Cork at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Another boring reply maybe but i have met friendly and unfriendly people from all over the country so its not a characteristic you can pinpoint on one particular county. People are people..some nice some not so much. Its the same the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement

Well i'm a Cork man and i consider Kilkenny to be our biggest rivals in hurling, yet overall i find Kilkenny people to be a sound bunch. I actually prefer the Kilkenny people to the Tipp crowd when it comes to hurling rivalries.😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Can't say that any county is particularly unfriendly although I do find that some Waterford people tended to have a victim complex that they were overlooked by the rest of the country and that everyone was against them. The friendliest county both from trips to the county and from meeting fans at matches was Sligo. Really chatty, helpful people.

I think the Waterford persecution complex is justified imo. Compared to the other cities, Waterford always seems to get a proper shafting from government after government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

The Government seems to be largely unaware of the existence of Waterford and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Government know all about Donegal now due to the Mica problem.

And I think Edinburgh is the friendliest place I've ever been to.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't say I have seen any difference on a county basis with a couple of exceptions. I went on holiday (camping) 40-odd years ago to Clare and found that the money grubbing was endemic, and not very pleasant people in a couple of the sites we stayed at. Come to think of it it was about the same as a camping holiday in France where they were doing you a favour to take your money. The other exception was a year I spent in very, very rural south Tipp and the people were exceptional, warm, friendly and very willing to engage and do what they could for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Half of Scotland despise us ( Irish people seem blissfully unaware of this )

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

Can't say I've been to every county, but from my own experience I'd say the midlands was the least friendly (particularly Carlow), working class Dublin the most friendly. Also found northern counties to be quite friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You've stumbled upon the great truth of humanity; where you find people, you will find assholes

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement