Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you hand up found money ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my rationale is that by reducing the chain of people to whom the money is entrusted, you're more likely to get it to the rightful owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Think if you hand it in to the Gardai and get it logged you’re entitled to it after a certain period of time if not claimed. At least that’s what I was told when I handed money I found years ago. I didn’t leave my name. Didn’t want it. Bad karma as someone said. Prefer to make my own way. I’d still hand it to the nearest Garda station now.

so your problem with handing over property that’s not yours to a garda is they don’t just want to hand it over because an arbitrary amount of time has passed.. a year passing doesn’t make it your property it just means the person who lost it hasn’t checked with a garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I would always try to return money/property to its rightful owner. Have done so on more than one occasion.

Was out with adult sons last year for daytime lunch and pints in Capel Street. Before we got to the pub, €80 was missing from my pocket. Might have been lifted, but I suspect it probably fell out , with me being careless about it (I rarely carry cash). Karma being Karma, I didn't get it back 🤣.

Ah well, hopefully some homeless person found it, or at the very least I made an unconscious contribution to the Capel Street economy.

It never occurred to me to check a Garda Station. Well, if someone did hand it in, they can have it when the statutory period has elapsed, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, so... what's the problem? That is the correct procedure and you are a believer in observing the law? If after a year, it's not claimed.. then the finder gets to keep.

In the case I think of, it was children who found and handed it in. It was bloody hard to get it back after a year and required multiple calls and visits to said station. But they enjoyed it the end and their patience was rewarded. But the poor efficiency of the Gardaí in this case wouldn't encourage a repeat.

• Advertisement

The problem is you’d rather keep someone’s money with no chance they’d get it back than potentially inconvenience yourself slightly later.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but that’s what it seems like you’re saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For some reason our Gardai Station seems closed a lot. Even tough there's loads of Gardai in and out there. I went to the side door(Sort of staff entrance) and kept of knocking at it until I got attention.

Garda took my name, address and number but I doubt I'd hear anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When I was running pubs sometimes there would be ripped notes at the end of the night. As a joke we used to put a ripped one under the drip tray on the counter so it looked like a full note to see who would try to take it. When some person thought they were being clever with their elbow to slide it out and pocket the note it was funny to embarrass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

I think the question should be more specific.

I think the amount of people would would keep money if they found a wallet where no one is watching would be higher than those who find it outside a supermarket, bank, post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is that what you would do? Only hand up the money, if you knew there was somebody watching?

• Advertisement

Bit of a loaded question there, OP. I would definitely return the money myself as long as I was able to do it personally and identify the rightful owner with 100% certainty. Which TBH is kind of unlikely but still, let's say if I saw my next door neighbour who is a pensioner drop her handbag I'd still pick it up and hand it back to her.

On the other hand, if you found a tenner left behind by the last customer on a McDonald's table then what would be the point in "handing it it"? You know damn well it's gonna get stuffed in the back pocket of who ever you hand it to.

Advertisement