Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you hand up found money ?

Options
  • 19-02-2023 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I defo would not. I am 60 and have lost cash over the years from a quid to 750, Years ago before internet I lost 400 quid in Crumlin Shopping Centre and put an ad in the evening Press lost and found bit and an elderly person rang me and said she had found it and handed it into Crumlin Garda Station and she even told me the name written on the envelope

I went to the station to be told there was no record of an envelope being handed in. I never rang the the woman back but earned a life lesson.

Garda Pocket probably and 400 was a lot in 1988

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭4Ad

I would..100%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would just leave it there and ignore it, I don’t want Anton Chigurh hunting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I would and have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Found 8 thousand pounds in a lodgement bag in a toilet of a garage / shop. I 100% thought about stealing it, but then realized someone was going to lose a job over it. Handed it in at the counter to the a very red faced manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You should have rang her back. You probably left her wondering whether you got the money back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

Definitely would. You'd have no luck for stealing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Always leave it with the shop it was outside off, wallet purse or envelope with cash. Make sure it's logged by staff. Cash 5's or 10's 20's I'd hand in as well but make sure it's put inside an envelope and initialled. It's not uncommon for staff to forget about lost money wallets purses keys outside of an all night garage with an ATM thats been handed in, thats why it's best to make sure it's logged so the next shift knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I found 50 recently and I am going to donate it to the Turkish earthquake charity with my Revlout, anything more than that I would make an effort it finds the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Like everything in life, context.

Single note on the ground, straight in the pocket.

The exact amount of a weeks pension outside the post office, straight inside to give it back.

A wad of fifties wrapped in an elastic band? Kick it under a car and come back later when whatever dealer dropped it is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Found £200 on the ground one days (back in the days on punts) near a bus stop

Reported it to the Gardai and where exactly I found it and left my contact information. They said to give it a week but realistically they reckoned the owner wouldn't come forward

They never did so I got to keep it. I did feel bad, that might have been someone's wages for a week or something

I might have donated half to charity, honestly can't remember (or perhaps my parents made me do it 😁)

If I found a few euros on the ground and there's nobody nearby who looks like they could have dropped it then I'd pocket it. Maybe chuck it in the charity bucket if it's just loose change

Larger sums, report it as lost to the guards and see if anyone is looking for it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Quite possibly someone else was in the process of stealing it when you found it 😜

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I never keep what is not mine.

Bad karma not to hand it up.

What goes around comes around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, it all depends, doesn't it.

Unless I badly needed money for something important, like food or rent (wealth distribution, eh?), of course.

I remember that time as a teenager (1980's) I dropped a pound coin on the city street, but before I got to pick it up, a very old man plucked it from the ground, with such delight in his eyes ( not knowing where it came from), thinking it was his lucky day.

Godspeed you, very old man, I think of you to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've found money and a handbag over the years and I generally hand it up to the customer service desk.

Before Christmas I found €80 on the Main Street and I brought it to the Gardai.

I do question what happens to the money but I couldn't deal with the guilt of keeping it.

I just feel no good would come out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Apparently there was some research which asked people if they saw someone dropping money on the street would they hand it back. Something like 95% said they would. But when asked how many other people the thought would do the same, it was only around 50%.

I would always assume that other people are as honest as me. It annoys me when people say "at least there are a few honest people left" when they hear about someone doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I remember working at a hotel in college during a wedding I found a 50 pound note on the floor and asked the person nearest to it if he dropped it, his drunken loutish goon of a mate on the other side goes, 'Yeah, he did.' and snatched it off me. I felt so stupid then, it definitely wasn't theirs. The annoying bit was, I could have really used it, I was flat broke, first week on the job and hadn't got any wages or the college grant yet, and he was some middle aged middle class Audi driving fkr in a pink shirt with a white collar. I should have just put my foot on it and discreetly snagged it but I was worried I'd be seen by a customer or manager or CCTV and lose the job I just got.

One thing I know is I'll never hand anything to the guards. I once found a wallet walking home from a night shift in the morning, no cash in it, no ID, but a couple of debit cards. It was only a week or so before Christmas and I thought the person would have little chance of getting them replaced in time so I went and walked about 20 mins out of my way in the freezing cold after a 12 hr shift to hand the wallet into the gardai, and yer man at the desk set his face into a scowl and started grilling me about whether I took cash out of it or not. Probably annoyed that he couldn't rob it himself like what happened to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭archfi

I'd hand it in to wherever (shop, PO, guards) but wouldn't hand it over until I got a signed/stamped receipt listing the contents etc

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

100%

It's nice to think the person who lost it is flush and won't miss it but it could be their last cent

I'd never hand it to the guards unless they gave me a written and stamped letter with an itemised list of the contents, far to many stories of full wallets being turned in for them to be empty when collected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably CCTV everywhere in the station now so I don’t imagine that would be a runner in modern times…

I absolutely would hand up money that’s not mine, and have done a number of times. Most people I know would be exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

No

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have found money on several occassions with different outcomes:

50 flying around the road when I was out walking - Kept it as not a sinner anywhere around and anyone could claim its theirs.

Found 450 punts outside my local shop when I was a wee nipper - handed it into the shop, turns out a neighbour of mine was going to pay their rent in the post office and dropped it, a few hours after handing it in they called in and bought me an icecream :D

People dropping money and not noticing - Handed it back to them.

Bottom line, if its a shop etc I will hand it in, if its random around a street etc I would more than likely keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Actually when I was in school I found 250 pounds outside the local shop in a purse. Decent sum of money at the time. I'd of pocketed it but a teacher saw me with it, so told me hand into the guards, so I did. They said if no one claims it in 90 days it's yours. No one did and fair play the guards rang my mam the day after the 90 days to come collect it.

Couple of years ago on a night out and found a phone on the street. It was a brand new iphone at the time ,I picked it up and put in my pocket presuming someone will ring it then I had a night of been rang by her messy drunk friends trying to meet me to collect her phone. Eventually agreed to meet outside a club, my buddies were gone in and I said id wait outside. 3 women about 30 came up hammered,kissing me and hugging me and how great I was. Give me your number my friend will want to thank you, stupidly I did when I wanted nothing more to do with it. Bouncer in the club then wouldn't let me in as he thought I was with them. Fucked the night it did trying to do a good deed. I woke up the next morning to a thank you text and a 100 euro on my revolut from the owner.

Moral of the story it pays to be honest as I would want the same back if it happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

30 years ago as a newly working teenager in Swords I lost my wallet with my first pay packet inside, about £130. About 3 weeks later a guy came to the counter where I worked and asked for me. I said yes that's me and he handed me my wallet with the money still inside. He apologised it had taken so long, he'd found it where I knew I'd lost it in Swords but he lived in Trim. He would not accept any reward. So, I always try to return money I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dante

Anything over a single note, yes I would hand it in.

If I saw someone actually drop money I would obviously give it to them right away regardless of the amount, whereas if I found a ten or twenty quid note randomly on the ground I'd probably take it and be on my merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yessir I would hand it over to the relevant authority ensuring it was rightfully returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

God no.

Advertisement