Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you hand up found money ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Even if you find it, it is still legally someone else's money and it is technically theft to keep it.

A friend of mine dropped her purse once and in the 5 mins it took her to retrace her steps, someone had picked it up, reefed all the cards and ID out of it and flung them on the ground and ran off with the money. She was suffering from serious health problems at the time, and was coming back from the bank with her rent and money to pay off other bills in her purse in cash.

I doubt that the sh1t that stole it would have cared if they knew the difficulty that losing that money caused the poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

If it was just cash on its own id keep if was 50 or less. Any more and id leave details with garda Station/nearby shop. Maybe post "sum of money found " on local fb group.

If it was a wallet/handbag/envelope id make sure it was returned to owner. I remember being about 8 or 9 and found a handbag in the park beside my grannys. We managed to find the owner, a young woman who had been mugged on her way home. All the cash was gone but she was delighted to get bag and contents back. She gave us a box of quality street as a thank you so I was delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

I once found a purse thrown on the side of the road. It had about forty euro in it.

I'm not sure if there was any significance but there were also a large number of blank social welfare cards. Anyway I handed it in to the gardai and heard no more about it.

I imagine the pain and suffering I have felt in the past from losing something or having something stolen, and do not want to inflict that pain on other people willingly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once absent mindedly opened a letter which fell through my letterbox, found a cheque for (IIRC) €72k inside, and realised i'd accidentally opened my neighbour's post. thankfully i hadn't torn the envelope open, just peeled the adhesive as it was weak, so i was able to flatten it closed again as much as possible before dropping it in to my neighbour.

not that i'd have been able to cash a cheque for that much money...

• Advertisement

i have found money and returned where appropriate. As most have said if it’s a few quid on the street with no obvious person around who may have lost then sorry not sorry finders keepers etc

but if I found stacks of cash that was obviously someone’s rent or whatever I would try and find the owner but I don’t think I’d be comfortable (especially reading this thread) leaving it with the garda or a shop, I’m pretty much just giving away the money apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Yes. It would be unlucky to keep money not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That reminds me of a cheque that came in the post addressed to, and made out to, my wife. It was accompanied by a solicitor's letter saying it was an inheritance from a named individual in a neighbouring townland of a similar name to ours. It was for €45k in the early 90s and would have cleared our mortgage. We were sure there was a mistake and contacted he solicitor. Sure enough it was for someone of the same name but they had gotten the address wrong. So near and yet so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭purplefields

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Amazed me the times where there were people of the same name born on the same day in neighbouring townlands with mothers of the same surname! They wern't even related as far as they knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

i remember after working the 4pm to 12 am shift in a local factory going for a run after work i was running up my street and right there in the middle of the road was a wallet , some young lad a student with student card in it long story short i managed to track him down gave him my details and he called to my house to collect the wallet in it was e50 the look on his face was priceless . he was delighted to get his cash and more importantly his student card, im happy i did it felt good to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone in front of me in Aldi let 20 quid fall out of their pocket and being the honest soul that I am I rushed after then to give it back, they just grabbed it out of my hand and walked off without a word of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Some people just have no manners and no shame at all these days

I mean, imagine coming onto a public message board and telling everyone you shop in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Happens quite a lot tbh , some people have no gratitude.

I've tapped people on the shoulder and handed them back money they've dropped. Some are grateful, some make you wish you'd pocketed it ha! Joke!

Lost two purses at different times. First , many years ago, not much cash in it , purse was thrown into my brothers yard a week later , all my bits and pieces still in it . Second purse, a few years ago, dropped it outside daughters house(figured that much out) good bit of cash in it, never got anything back .

Daughter made posts on SM for the purse to be returned, without the cash, no questions asked, as I had sentimental pieces from my parents in it . No luck though

• Registered Users Posts: 46 War ensemble

Found a wallet just outside my house. Picked it up. Hundred euros cash along with a bunch of cards and different ids. The lad was Italian. I looked him up on FB and messaged him. The poor fella had been retracing his steps the whole day trying to figure out where he dropped it. Anyway I gave him my address. He called over and collected his wallet. He offered me the hundred euros. But I declined. All I said was that if he found a wallet he should do the same as me and seek out the owner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

His house would have been haunted by the dead relative of the actual heir...

I return anything I find if the owner is identifiable or hand to the gardaí anything greater than €20. Anything less than that I stick in a charity box.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've only found money once or twice but I have handed it in. Must have been good karma. I was at a friend's wedding last summer. At the end of the night I gave the card to the groom's brother. He was fairly well on so I should have known better. The groom messaged me the following morning saying a passerby had found my card outside the hotel (this hotel wasn't where the reception was but many of the guests stayed there, I didn't stay there though) and had handed it in. He's a good friend so gave him more than the standard wedding present. Contents were all there. Never told him it was his brother that dropped it.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Few have moral compasses now. Morality is pretty much gone in decedent Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Bit of an exaggeration there pal. Pretty sure every generation has said the exact same about the generation below them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Report it or give it to them ? Big difference ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, but it can be true, too, if we've been getting progressively worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Over 40 years ago my impoverished stressed out mother left her purse in the phone box around the corner from our house on a cold winters night.

She missed it immediately and totally panicked she jumped back on her bike to go back and fetch it.

In that short space of time the purse had vanished but a hand written note on the inside of a pack of Major said “left purse in the M**ks” (pub across the road).

The publican wasted no time interrogating her about the contents and threw in a little lecture about taking better care of her money and being more careful in future, all in front of his few customers, her neighbours.

I never forgot him for this and still burn with resentment when I drive past that pub even though he’s long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

It would depend on the amount found and where!

I previously found money in the work place which was returned to the owners.

I have found a few €20 notes on the street but pocketed those.

If you are talking about money in a wallet/purse then I would look to return it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Depends on the amount and the circumstances as people have mentioned. A random note on a the ground Id pocket it assuming there was nobody around to ask if they had dropped it. An envelope with money in it Id report it to the Gardai / nearest shop / bank and leave my phone number. If someone was able to ring me and tell me the precise amount in the envelope Id give it back to them.

A number of years ago I was on the way to work on a Friday morning. It was the week before payday and I went to the Ulster Bank ATM on Baggot Street and withdrew my last €200 as we were going on the piss after work. Was walking on towards the office and heard someone behind me shouting at me. Turns out Id walked away from the ATM with my card but never took the money. The chap that called me back had been standing behind me waiting to use it and saw Id not taken the cash. Was really impressed with his honesty and I like to think Id do the same. There's been a few times that Ive been undercharged in shops and given incorrect change back and Ive pointed it out to the cashier. More often than not it was a chung wan or chung fella that would likely have been blamed for stealing if their till was light. Karma and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't hand a sum of money in to the gardai unless it was significant. what happens to it if no-one claims it?

ring the gardai, and leave your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Last time I found money I was walking down the street and I spotted a 50 which had been blown into a crevice of a tree.

I thought to myself, nice, it must be my lucky day. Picked it up only to realize that it was only 1/3rd of the note and it had been cut in two with a scissors.

Always wondered why someone would cut it in two.

The bottom line is that it's not my money. If the gardaí in question are dishonest, there's nothing I can do about that, but I can't know if they are either. There's a chance that the person who lost the sum would go in and ask if it had been handed in. If nobody claims it, then here's to hoping it'd be put towards a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The one problem with handing found money into the Garda station is that it takes a full year for when it can be claimed as yours. And lots of things/ personnel can change over that year, lot's of stuff handed in. Happened here and despite receipt for amount from station, it took a LOT of effort to eventually extract it from them after a year.

Advertisement