Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Salaries 2020/2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Be careful around the 'reduced salaries'.

I think it's been noticeable that these 'stars' are taking more holidays in last few years, so are they taking a pay cut or working less?

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of the weekly fees, to actually see if they have reduced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As I've said many times, we need to see a breakdown of these fees PER SHOW and PER YEAR to see if there's actually a decrease in fees being paid. The devil is in the detail on this one.

Take the following as an example:

2021: John Bluffy does 180 shows at €2000 per show = €380,000

2022: John Duffy does 160 shows at €2200 per show = €352,000

Now Dee Forbes can say John took a cut in remuneration when it actually increased by 10% per show and he got an extra 4 weeks for the breakeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭hawley

Brendan O'Connor's payments are an absolute joke. 245,000 for maybe 80 two hour shows. No wonder he's terrified of getting involved in any controversy.

He might be earning his money the easiest?

Over 3k per show. Not bad for a part-time job, and also getting a good wage from the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RoTelly

note that Finucane and O'Rourke make up most of the 16% decrease or 686,001 v a reduction of 506,333

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 hollymount

Are any of these actual employees of RTE or are they all contract workers where there is greater flexibility surrounding their tax options, how and when they pay themselves and in funding their pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭brokenbad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Borrowed the image from a Reddit thread. Ray @®$€¥ isn't a good anything. He's spoofing a living. And if he was a pill, he'd be a suppository.

How could they justify giving CB a 25% pay rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Thought it at the time but those figures prove it really did pay certain individuals to keep the COVID gloom going…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RoTelly

She tookover the Today show and she had a TV show. I hear she stepped back from the TV show due to work life balance. Or was it she didn't get a pay rise or was asked to take a pay cut! We will find out in 2 years time... when Jenny Z is on the list for 2FM and DWTS ... I am surprised she's not on the list for 2021, but she moved radio show mid-2021? I think Eoghan McD tookover on the breakfast around that time and I think he left soon after!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

There is no evidence to support the claim that Joe Duffy is taking more breaks.

I agree with you all with respect to talentless presenters, specifically Turbidity and D'Arcy.

Others are providing a real public service with real impact - and quite honestly, this is something to be cherished. I think the current salary actually undervalues Joe.

The others are not having beneficial effects, Joe is. Why cant people see this?

So please don't treat these top paid presenters as all the same - they are not.

Indeed Funny Friday is the best entertainment that can be had - not just in Ireland, but likely on this planet. Joe’s fees should be doubled. At least!

if laughter is the best medicine, Funny Friday must cure cancer. The HSE should contact Dr. Duffy to arrange for Funny Friday to be pumped into all the oncology centers in the country. It would save lives AND reduce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭archfi

The mind boggles that even with a 32% pay reduction D'Arcy is STILL robbing a living @ 305k!

What a station!

😳

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Maybe he got cut a grand every time he hit the wrong button?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Claire Byrne has mentioned a couple of times that "We're all worried about our electricity/gas bills".

She's on 350,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ninap

Get a grip. 10 people at the top of the tree broadcasting-wise. Graham Norton gets paid 4.2m Sterling for how many shows per year? Tubridy and the rest work for their money. No one on here could do the job; it’s like lots of things - looks much easier than it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The brass neck of her!!

As for Ballsy O'Connor who seems to have been castrated when the money landed in his lap... someone really needs to get on that show and toast him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah his show couldn't get any blander.

That's Irish radio for you. Bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Thats some top level propaganda out of Dee Forbes, aided and abated by NKM....

Ryan Tubridy has absolutely NOT taken any pay decrease.....the only thing to decrease is the hours he works....the man has about 4- 5 months off every year!!

Joseph Goebbels himself would be proud of the tactics used here by Dee Forbes.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One of the posters on Boards used to do a count of how many days Joe Duffy worked each year. To prove the claims that Ryan Tubridy or other presenters are getting reduced salaries because they are working fewer days would need a similar count. Not vague stuff like "it's been noticeable" or "the man has 4-5 months off every year". Real day by day counts.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/09/13/no-show-like-a-no-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I don't believe we're seeing anything near reality here. I wasn't too far off the mark with my predictions on how this would play out. It's the 3 card trick laid bare.

These freeloaders don't take decreases in fees - not the contractors, not the agents. There's shenanigans going on in the background, mark my words. Before anyone goes 'links?', these are my thoughts only.

Lets say Duffy's fees (paid for and declared by RTE) were a certain amount in the past. To avoid these fees having to be declared now, a particular show/series gets farmed out to an external production company instead of RTE. The same fees go to Duffy, only it's hidden now because it becomes buried in a farmed out programme cost (which we are not privy to)

Never trust a word RTE comes out with - it's smoke & mirrors and one of the greatest scams ever inflicted on the Irish people

I presume the likes of Byrne, Tubridy, and Duffy bring in multiples of this in advertising? Like I mean you could replace Duffy with some loudmouth moron who worked his way up through local radio to host the dial-in show on Mucksavage FM, but what would happen to the audience? Willing to take 90k and some appearance money to fund his divorce settlement and the petrol for his 3 series BMW.

There's a profile and stickiness there. People with a public profile should be paid more.

I personally know a few fairly average managers in well-known firms that make almost as much as the likes of Moloney, and I'm certain they don't have to open up Twitter to be told how shít they are at their job (very unfair in the case of Moloney, as he is an outstanding soccer and GAA commentator).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

George Lee?

180,000 for 2021?

Mother of God.

What do the other corrs get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

How is Joe value for money? There might once have been a point to this programme but now it's just a vehicle for Joe to blow his owns trumpet. He likes to pick an easy subject with a readily obvious Badguy.

When he gets caught out, he's like a petulant child. A few weeks ago he dipped his toe in the Refugee Protests water. It was the predictable RTE line, ie, there's no such thing as a bad refugee. When he finally had to allow a contrary voice on, Malachy Stevenson, he was beyond rude. A professional would have been polite. In the world of RTE, Free speech is only free when it's the ' right' kind of free speech

Advertisement