Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry FC 2023

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Finn Harps 2 - 1 Kerry

I gave up on this at half time as the pixelot camera struggled to keep up with play. Shambolic again from Finn Harps

Kerry FC 1 - 2 Wexford

Kerry were behind early after a great strike from Reece Webb at the edge of the box but they responded well. Ethan Kos played a ball from the back which was misjudged by the Wexford defender allowing Ryan Kelleher through on goal and after rounding the last man, he slotted home into the bottom corner. Kerry dealt well with the Wexford threat for the remainder of the first half and created some half chances of their own.

A bright start to the second half by both teams but Wexford looked the more dangerous of the two teams. They took the lead from a free kick into the box which found a Wexford head, amongst three Kerry defenders, and it was headed back into the centre where the unmarked Oluwya slid the ball into the net. Kerry continued to push but could not create anything meaningful from their own set pieces.

A frustrating loss, but Wexford had a few good chances from corners and free kicks prior to the winner and there was a sense of inevitability about it. The final home game of the season is next Saturday at 5.30 vs Waterford and tickets are on sale at https://kerryfc.com/tickets/

Kerry FC 1 - 1 Waterford

The final homegame of the season with both teams having little to play for and the first half reflected that. Both teams struggled to test both goal keepers with the majority of play in the middle third of the pitch. A different story for the second half where Leo Gaxha chased down a wayward back pass that deflected off him and he was able to head into the open goal. This sprung the Waterford team to life, who were able to pass through the Kerry midfield and forced some great saves from Axworthy in the Kerry goal.

A triple change for Waterford on the 60th minute proved to be crucial with Ronan Coughlan equalising after the Kerry defence weren't switched onto a free kick, bringing his total to 31 goals from 27 games. Waterford pushed for the winner but Axworthy kept Kerry in it and with chances at both ends, the game finished with a credible point against a tough team.

The final game of the season is away to Cobh next Friday and there is a bus going from the Horan Centre at 4pm, and seats can be booked on O861O51737

Cobh Ramblers 1-1 Kerry FC

Cobh made 9 changes from last week with the view firmly on the promotion play off next week and took the lead late in the first half from a shot at the edge of the box and the ball dribbled through a sea of legs and found it's way into the corner of the net. Kerry equalised late with another goal from Kennedy Amechi and came close to winning it in extra time. In truth, the conditions didn't lend themselves to the best game of football in the world but you would have never have thought that from the effort put in by the Kerry side.

Looking at the season as a whole, it's incredible to think that a new team cobbled together in a matter of weeks was able to compete with teams that have structures in place for a century, all while the squad transitions throughout the season. The average age of the team that started the first game was 24, tonight that was 21 and the oldest player starting the first game was 38, tonight it was 23. Only 3 of the starting 11 tonight started the first game of the season, such was the attrition and improvement in the team.

There has been some unbelievable individual performances, Gaxha taking the armband away to Longford and nearly single-handedly winning the game, Togor after coming home from school earlier in the day and putting an absolute reducer onto the Athlone midfielder firing up the home crowd, and Kelleher's brilliance in the win, spring to mind. It takes character and resilience every week to pull on the jersey, knowing that the odds are stacked against you, and for the vast majority of players, they gave absolutely everything, every single time they stepped out onto the field. And that's all a supporter can ask of the team, just to leave everything on the pitch and tonight captured the mentality of the supporters and the team perfectly.

So thats the end of the season and it's been enjoyable, frustrating, but most of all, it's been fun. It's been great to catch up with some old friends and make some new ones along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Thank you Barryribs for all the posts and match reviews over the course of the season, it was great to read them, I made most of the home games and one away - it was very enjoyable to watch Kerry FC over the course of the season and my friends and I are looking forward to supporting the team again next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

The converse is true in my case, yet to make it to Mounthawk Park as my life is on the east coast now but made it to both the games in Bray.

Hoping for continued growth from the club in the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

It was on Radio Kerry that Billy Dennehy is to step back as manager for next season. He will stay on as Sporting Director. I know results weren't too good this year, but I was looking forward to Billy staying on and seeing what he could do with a years experience under his belt.

Any thoughts/rumors on who the next manager will be or is it too early to speculate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

It was confirmed earlier that Killarney Celtic man, Conor McCarthy will be the new manager. He was on the coaching team last year so should be a seamless transition. I'd imagine Billy is moving to that role to have a say in the running jf the whole operation in Kerry, which is no bad thing imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement