Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry FC 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

wow that's a big drop from the opening games. The weather being better could have played a part in that as well as people could be doing other things etc

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I'd wonder if 2 home games in quick succession played a part?

But a great 2nd half performance from the boys - I feel it was their best performance from the games I saw. Pity about the linesman, the joy of the Kerry goal, crushed by his late flagging of offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

You'll get used to officiating like that in the League of Ireland 🙄

Could be right there. What was the attendance like for the Waterford game?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone know if I need a ticket for Bray or can I pay at the gate?

Can't see any tickets on Kerry website. Would happily buy a home end ticket from the Bray website but don't want to be refused entry to the away end if I do.

Any help appreciated

Thanks very much, I was in the home section.

Tickets got

Bray Wanderers 3 - 2 Kerry FC

Yesterday's game saw another few changes to the side, with Ronan Teahan, Jonathan Hanafin and Aaron O' Sullivan missing but Kevin Williams, Leo Gaxha and Nathan Gleeson returned to the starting 11.

We went behind after two minutes when the bray winger found himself with ages to pick out the top corner with a great finish from outside the box. The lead could have been doubled shortly after, with a mix up at the back giving the Bray striker only the keeper to beat but he poked the ball wide. Leo Gaxha drew Kerry level with 15 minutes gone when Ryan Kelliher flicked on a ball to Sean McGrath who put Gaxha through to finish with class. Bray grew into the game from this point and took the lead on the brink of half time in a similar goal to their first.

Bray got the decisive goal early in the second half but for the last 30 minutes, Kerry were well on top, with Gleeson slicing a ball just wide and Amechi only being denied by a lucky block. The lifeline came too late to salvage a point but great work from Kennedy Amechi to bring a ball back from the line into Matt Keane who squared it for a great finish by Cian Brosnan.

Some good spells for us again and we'll need that and more than our fair share of luck next week, away to Galway

My first time seeing Kerry play. And despite the defeat, i feel it was a worthwhile journey to make.

They exceeded my expectations as a team and I'd happily go to another game which is a good sign I guess.

Only real negative that I'd have an issue with is the lack of work rate from the number 17. Never tracked, not once, and offered absolutely nothing going forward. His full back even had a go at him at one point in the 2nd half where he got beaten by his man and 17 just stood there walking along while the full back tried to make up the ground. I'd like to think I got him on a bad night hopefully.

At this level, desire and hunger is half the battle. But overall, I was encouraged by what I saw. Never gave in and could have undeservedly snatched a draw at the end.

• Advertisement

The head went after he missed the shot and the defender got into his head too. Probably a bit too common for him this season and his attitude definitely needs work.

Carlisle grounds is in a lovely area but my god is it dilapidated.

Yeah, was happy with the location too tbh. Free public parking on the sea front and 2 minute walk up to the ground.

I stood at the back of the uncovered side and seemed fine for what it was but there wasn't much in the way of "facilities" and I kept my money for the chipper down the street before heading home.

Galway 1 - 0 Kerry FC

A couple of changes from the starting 11 vs Bray with Ronan Teahan returning and Sean O' Connell taking the place of the injured Rob Vasiu. Kerry started the better side with the wind at their backs. Ryan Kelleher went close after five minutes, taking advantage of a mistake by the Galway defenders to force a good save. Five minutes later Galway got the decisive goal from a cross into the box where the  With 20 gone there was a double penalty call with Ryan Kelleher pushed over and a dubious handball. Kerry were on top for most of the remainder of the first half with Galway hitting the post off a half chance. The second half saw more of the same with Kerry on top for the majority of it and Gaxha went close forcing a great save from the keeper with 20 minutes to go and Kelleher missed a great chance from the following corner. Galway switched to five at the back and it was them who started to slow down the play, break the rhythm of the game and ultimately hang on, but not justify their 1/50 price in the bookies.

The team were unrecognisable from the last trip to Galway with Dennehy getting the tactics spot on and the work rate from the players seems to be better too. The last two games has shown much better resilience from the players who didn't allow the heads to drop when they went behind.

Next up is Treaty at home and tickets are on sale https://kerryfc.com/tickets/

Kerry are also playing Killarney Celtic in a charity match in aid of Comfort for Chemo in the memory of John Doyle and those tickets are also on the link above

It turns out that this is someone who would be familiar with long time users of this board. The original thread was deleted but its the same guy referenced here

Kerry FC 2 - 3 Treaty

No changes from last weeks team with new signings Martin Coughlan and Ethan Kos both making the bench. Kerry took the lead in the first minute, capitalising on a mistake from the Treaty captain with Nathan Gleeson forcing a good save from the keeper, who could only parry to Sean McGrath who finished. The game remained tight but with the return of the Mounthawk wind saw Treaty get an equaliser directly from a corner. Treaty took the lead 5 minutes later with a good finish from a tight angle. With the wind at our, the second half was dominated by Kerry forcing some great saves from the Treaty keeper. Treaty got a third against the run of play, with Enda Curran chipping home. Kennedy Amechi and Cian Brosnan did very well off the bench again and Leo Gaxha scored a wonder goal, albeit too late to rescue anything.

A big disappointment that the pixelot camera was used again and 2 of the 5 goals were completely missed with it only catching the end of our 2nd goal.

Next up is the away trip to Longford on Saturday at 7.30

Does anyone know why Longford play their games on Saturday?

I'm not sure about it but it makes making the away games a whole lot easier 👍️

Longford town 2 - 1 Kerry FC

New signings Ethan Kos, Lee Axworthy, Sam Okwute and Martin Coughlan made their first appearances, with the impact being evident from the start. Kerry were on top for most of the first half but Longford got the break through from a corner not properly cleared. Captain Leo Gaxha added to his tally with a penalty early in the second half and the game was very tight. A triple change for Longford with 25 to go saw a complete shift in momentum and forced some good saves out of new keeper Axworthy. Longford got the lead from another corner poorly defended at the near post and the Kerry changes came too late to have an impact.

Disappointing that we didn't adapt to the Longford changes and waited for the inevitable goal to make the changes as there were points on the table last night.

Back home next week for a change of pace against Ringmahon Rovers in the first FAI cup game at mounthawk

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jonnreeks

I am delighted Kerry have entered the league as I think soccer in the count has grown in strength over the years, especially in the development of the game. This move with Kerry FC will open more opportunities for youth development and a platform for players to aim for. Of course it will take time as it is a learning process. Most of those involved understand this plan and I do believe the fans understand what is really happening with the club. Things will eventually come good as the club and staff gain experience of playing in this structure.

Well done to all involved.

Wayne Guthrie has left. Was always going to be under pressure after signing another keeper, and it just really didn't go to plan for him.

• Advertisement

He didn't leave cos they signed a keeper. They had to sign a keeper cos he left. He's been gone for weeks at this stage, just had to wait to sign another one before making the official announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

Must win tonight for morale purposes alone.

Biggest game of the season as realistically can't expect much from any of the league games.

Manuel Neuer could have been in goals for those first few games and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Its just a shame he didn't get a chance behind the settled back four.

And I really want an away day to one of the dublin clubs so I can just get the bus to the game lol

Kerry FC 2 - 0 Ringmahon Rangers

One change from the team that started vs Longford, with Ronan Teahan starting in midfield in place of Togor. The first half was a slog, with Ringmahon hitting the woodwork early and creating the best of the chances. Kerrys best chance came from new signing Daniel Okwute who couldn't steer a header on target. Half time saw the introduction of Cian Brosnan and Rob Vasiu and both brought energy and directness that seemed lacking in the first half. Okwute went down injured with 25 to with Ryan Kelleher taking his place and with 15 minutes left, Sean McGrath flicked a ball to him at the edge of the box and he scored into the bottom corner with a tidy finish. Ten minutes later he doubled his tally with a close range goal from a poor clearance and could have added a third on the 90 minute mark but the Ringmahon keeper made a good save.

Great to get the first home win and Ethan Kos looks a proper player at the back. Cian Brosnan continues to make an impact off the bench following his goal against Bray and Kelleher's finishing proving invaluable once again.

Coming up this week is a friendly against Killarney Celtic in aid of Comfort for Chemo on Weds night and tickets can still be purchased for that on kerryfc.com/tickets. On Friday its back to Mounthaw and back to league vs Finn Harps

Post edited by barryribs on

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Has anyone got a photo of the team sheet from last nights game ?

Great to finally get a first home win. New signings look good and adding a bit more that's needed.

Another keeper signed. Arthur Nganou from Midleton FC. Callan Scully has left He was a decent keeper just a but young.

• Advertisement

Kerry FC 1 - 2 Finn Harps

Two changes from the cup game saw Kevin Williams and Rob Vasiu back in the starting 11 and a change of shape. A drab first half again with the highlight being a spectacular save from Axworthy from a Harps free kick.

Kerry started the second half the brighter side with McGrath going close but found themselves behind after 5 minutes. A triple change saw the introduction of Cian Brosnan, Matt Keane and Ronan Teahan and Kerry spent most of the half on top, with Brosnan finding space in the box to go close to leveling. The equaliser came from a perfectly delivered Brosnan corner where Sam Aladesanusi emphatically headed home. Finn Harps won the game in the last minute of added time after a free kick into the box was headed home.

Not satisfied with goading the fans, Finn Harps right back, Caoihmin Porter took some time off from kissing the Derry city crest to start a melee after the full time whistle.

Next weekend is a double header with a tough trip to Waterford and home to Cobh on bank holiday monday

Advertisement