Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry FC 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

It will take time so stick with them. It's a big learning curve for most of these players.

Keep on supporting them & hopefully it will come good over time

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Cobh and Treaty have definitely improved since the first time we played them and from the looks of the results this weekend, Wexford and Longford have improved too so I don't think we are going to be as competitive as we looked earlier in the year. The issue in the last few games is we haven't given ourselves any chance of getting something, between individual mistakes and not properly defending corners we are fighting uphill battles all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

A few lads just aren't up to it but management just keep picking them. The lack of an out and out striker is a killer as well imo.

Having seen the majority of the squad come through the U17s and U19s I don't think there is many better options on the bench. It might be a few years too soon for a few and there's no doubt it's a hard league to learn on the job. Andy Quaid and Jonathan Hannafin should both be back fit in the next week or so and that should give Billy much needed physicality in the side.

While Longford won't be a pushover on Friday i'd still be confident of a result.

I find it odd how Matt Keane has lost his place in recent games.

• Advertisement

Kerry FC 2 - 3 Longford Town

A changed Kerry line up saw a debut for 18 year old Togor Silong and Andy Quaid and Sean O'Connell returning to the squad. Again Kerry were caught out after 8 minutes a ball pulled back from the end line found its way to the Longford striker. Throughout the first half, the team lacked any sort of cohesion and shape with Trip playing wide but unable to find any passes inside, and chances were few and far between at both ends. On the verge of half time, a corner found the Kerry defence asleep from a routine play and Longford took a two goal lead to the half.

Three changes at half time saw Matt Keane, Leo Gaxha and Nathan Gleeson on and the impact was immediate with Kerry looking the more dangerous side. Togor won a tackle around midfield and Gleeson carried the ball forward and shot on goal, the keeper could only parry it to Sean McGrath to tap in for one back. 8 minutes later Longford extended their lead against the run of play, with a misplaced header from Keane ending up looping over the keeper into his own net. Kerry dug deep and Ryan Kelleher got one back after Leo Gaxha crossed a ball in from a counter attack but Longford were able to cling on to their lead until the final whistle.

Hopefully we can build on this second half and next up is Athlone town away next Friday at 7.45

Getting ab bad habit of going behind early in games as of late. No Sean Kennedy this week. Was he injected?

He's not wrong. Although Kerry have had some very poor refs in the lasr few games.

Athlone 2 - 3 Kerry FC

Another shake up in the starting line up saw Nathan Gleeson and Aaron O' Sullivan make his debut in goals. From the get go, Kerry were on the back foot with a ball off the line cleared with 5 minutes gone and another sure goal hitting off the Athlone striker before it could make it's way in. With 15 gone, Silong won the ball in midfield, Ryan Kelleher took the ball down and pinged it into the far corner with our best goal of the season so far. Five minutes later Nathan Gleeson doubled the lead with a strike from outside the box looping over the keeper off a deflection. One way traffic resumed with Athlone getting one back ten minutes before the break.

Following more one way traffic after the break Athlone leveled it up with 20 to go but thanks to an absolutely brilliant (and correct) call by the linesman, Ryan Kellher put Kerry back in front. Some superb defending and a fair share of good fortune and Kerry FC now have their first win of the season.

Superb performance by Aaron O' Sullivan in his first game and now that monkey is off our back, we can look at building on it for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Great to finally get over the line! No Sean Kennedy again in the squad i see.

Kerry FC 0 - 2 Bray Wanderers

An unchanged side from the team that beat Athlone last week, it took 10 or 15 minutes for Kerry to get a foothold in the game. Kevin Williams again lead by example with some great defending and Sean McGrath looking the most lively of the attacking players. Although neither team threatened the goals much, Kerry edged the first half, with the best opportunities being caught offside a few times which would have saw Kelleher and Gaxha through on goal. Kerry had a few half chances from corners at the end of the first half but couldn't get anything clean on target.

Bray took the lead with 5 minutes gone in the first half and began to slow the pace of the game. There was a reasonable claim for a penalty when Nathan Gleeson was climbed on in the box which had the Kerry bench incensed. Down the other end, Bray were awarded a penalty when the ball struck Kellehers arm. Kerry kept pushing towards the end but ultimately couldn't trouble the Bray keeper.

Some small mistakes aside, its good to see the progress being made both defending and attacking set pieces and there is much more control to the play too. Next up is Wexford in Mounthawk and tickets should be on sale on Monday

Kerry FC 0 - 6 Wexford

Another unchanged team that started the last two games went into the Wexford game with a hint of optimism after the performance against Bray. It took about 20 minutes for the Kerry team to string more than a couple of passes together with Sean McGrath going close. This was about as good as it got as the continuously pumped long balls into the box and won the majority, unchallenged. The Kerry defense inexplicably let one of them bounce twice in the box where the Wexford striker could tap home for the lead. Things went from bad to worse with 5 to go in the first half with two simple passes opening the Kerry defense.

The second half went from bad to worse and Wexford could have added to their lead twice in the first minute. The team looked flat and there was no communication all night and it was a text book performance on how not to defend crosses, set pieces and long balls. By the time the 5th went in, a lot of the home fans had seen enough and headed for home. If anything, the scoreline flatters Kerry against a Wexford side who offered nothing more than physicality and the ability to play a simple 5 yard pass.

Next week is away to Finn Harps on Friday

By far the worst display so far. Wexford who aren't even all that great themselves looked like a Premier Division side. You'd have to wonder will results like this start of effect crowds etc The atmosphere was very flat on Friday night and the ''it's the first season'' line can only be used so much.

I think the crowd was well down on Friday and it is not a great omen to see people leaving with 30 minutes to go in the game. Like you said, it was very flat on Friday and what was offered up on the pitch did nothing to help it.

People will need to understand that this is just the beginning. There is no recipe for instant success.

If the Soccer fans in Kerry support it then it will get better as time goes on. Without the support it will never succeed. Every club in the LOI has a big head start on Kerry so patience is needed.

This is coming from a long time League of Ireland supporter.

I agree it will take time. But at the same time 13 games in it's not much to ask that performances start to improve. Losing 6-0 to Galway or Waterford you can understand but to Wexford it's not, There's a long trip ahead this week and hopefully they can turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Imo I think the management need a kick up the backside. This team are going anywhere fast and a embarrassment to themselves and supporters.

If you consider yourself a supporter and you feel the team are embarassing you, then don't turn up. We won't miss you

Kerry are stuck with the players they have until the next transfer window so if they're not up to standard that's it.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be better organised but there's a limit to what you can do with a squad sometimes.

Kerry's problem at the moment seems to be consistency. Performances seem to be up & down.

• Advertisement

Finn Harps 0 - 0 Kerry

One change from last week with team captain Matt Keane returning to the starting line up. A good competitive start saw Finn Harps create some good chances and Sean McGrath and a Nathan Gleeson volley going close for Kerry. Hard to say how good the Finn Harps chances were as the (soon to be retired) pixelot camera couldn't keep up with play. A much settled first half with Kerry winning the majority of the second balls, creating a lot more up front and defending a lot better.

The second half was similar with Finn harps going close early on and hitting the post twice and Kerry going down the other end with the Finn Harps keeper saving Ryan Kelleher's effort. Things began to peter out from here with the exception of Kelleher again forcing a great save in the final minutes of extra time. Much more purpose in the team this week, Matt Keane added a missing element of calmness and stability in the midfield and Aaron O' Sullivan was great again in goals. A hint of good fortune but that's the first clean sheet for the year.

Next fixtures are a home double header with Waterford on the bank holiday Monday and Athlone on Friday and tickets are available on kerryfc.com/tickets

I notice Matt Keane wasn't actually the captain last night. I've also head Wayne Guthrie has left bit don't know how true that it.

Anyway good result last night after last week.

I think its normal enough that some players will come and go, and Wayne Guthrie is still injured, but was with the team for the home game against Wexford, the same with Jonathan Hannafin. I did hear that Trip was let go, but like yourself I don't know how much truth there is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

It's a opinion Barry ribs and I couldn't care less if I am missed but in all fairness kerry fc players must feel the embarrassment

Kerry FC 0 - 6 Waterford

The same result at home, albeit against a much better team this week. The first half was tightly contested until goalkeeper Aaron O' Sullivan missed clearing a long ball over the top, which left the Waterford striker an open goal to score into. Another ball over the top on the brink of half time saw two players through for a simple finish. The result was beyond doubt with ten gone in the second half where two Kerry defenders marked the same man leaving the Waterford striker to finish on his weaker side, at the near post. With 25 to go, another ball over the top unlocked the Kerry defense for Ronan Coughlan to get his third. He added a fourth to his own tally from the spot and the final nail came in fitting fashion, a long ball over the top.

After the first half hour, not much to write home about in this. Naive defending for a lot of the goals, never made the opposition keeper work and persisting to play high balls from set pieces despite our weakness in the air. Thats 21 goals for Waterford in the last 5 which includes a 0-0 draw.

Next up is a more competitive fixture against Athlone on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

I think people need to understand the limitations of trying to get a League of Ireland team established in a peripheral region on the South West of Ireland.

We are a county of what, 125,000, where soccer always has been and always will be the 2nd choice sport.

Its on an amateur basis so you are not going to encourage many ringers to the county due to the isolation and no financial incentive.

You are then left relying on the players within the county. You have players like Shane Guthrie involved, who is what 38 years old, hasn't played league of Ireland in 10 years, he was about 3 or 4 years ahead of me and wasn't even the best player in our school.

I genuinely hope an improvement will come but anyone who expected different from this and I am sorry to say the next few seasons really needs their head examined.

Kerry FC 0 - 1 Athlone Town

Last Fridays game saw Nathan Gleeson, Kevin Williams and Leo Gaxha all suspended for an accumulation of yellow cards and the formation was changed accordingly. The returning Jonathan Hannafin starting alongside Samuel Aladesanusi and Graham O' Reilly as part of three centre back set up.

Kerry started the game well and had a goal ruled out for offside after about 15 minutes after the linesman delayed raising his flag. Ronan Teahan was then found to be offside while through on goal, despite being 3 yards behind the defender when the ball was played. The game was open enough, with Kerry struggling to create anything to trouble the keeper and Athlone resorting to long range efforts but Athlone got the only goal of the game with a well worked move on the half hour mark. Just before half time Sean McGrath went down with what looked like a bad injury with Kennedy coming on to replace him. The second half saw a good response from the team with Kerry dominating the ball for long periods and Ryan Kelliher forcing a ridiculous save from the Athlone keeper. Kerry kept pushing towards the end but couldn't get the goal that they deserved.

Small margins away from a good result but it was good to see the team not drop their heads after going behind. This week is a rare week off for the team with the next game away to Bray on Friday 23rd

Martin Coughlan signs from Treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

The attendance was down to 480 last Friday, hope the fans are not loosing interest in the Kerry FC project!

• Advertisement

This is the problem.

People expect instant success & when they don't get it they lose interest.

Fans need to understand that you have to persevere, often over a long period of time & even then success is not guaranteed.

It takes time & unless people are willing to support it it has no chance.

Advertisement