Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Anyone play it today (release date).

Was thinking of downloading to PC but seems to have lots of performance issues / bugs and crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Have it downloaded on PC via EA, but not played it. Hearing its a bit of a pig, but most impressions seem to be prior to an expected patch. Patches can help no doubt, but if a game is deemed fit for release in such a state, it probably won't be the very first patch that turns it around completely.

More so than the console ones apparently, but again, most impressions seem to be of the PS5 version which has performance mode issues, and reports of broken HDR support. Fidelity/30FPS seems to be the best way of playing right now from reading online. Personally, I'm interested to hear how the Xbox one fares as while it may be very similar, its performance mode may be better handled via VRR right now, but who's to say bar those who have bought it. Sounds like a lot of user impressions are hanging their hat on a day one patch, while the rest are enjoying it for what it is in fidelity mode etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'll definitely give it a go on PS5 later and see how it handles. I'll play as long as it's playable. From the sounds of things though, even though they'd already delayed it by 6 weeks, they should have pushed it back until later in the year. Fallen Order was very buggy at launch too and even after a couple of patches still had issues. You'd think they'd have been trying to make sure the same didn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EA never learn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The screenshots on the Rock Paper Shotgun review were taken on a minimum spec PC (1070) and they genuinely look like something from a PC game released 15 years ago: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/star-wars-jedi-survivor-review

Kind of staggering what a terrible state 90% of AAA games on PC are at launch these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are the settings anywhere near close to high in those screenshots? The lighting is so flat, no modern lighting techniques and there looks to be no ambient occlusion at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The reviewer says she was playing on medium settings, which was needed to get past some slowdown.

I mean it's old enough hardware for sure, but would still expect a game to look much better than that on a minimum-spec machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's pretty shocking. There's a complete lack of any GI or AO in those screens. It's literally a PS2 vertex shaded lighting model and really shouldn't be runing poorly with those specs. It also really shouldn't be that poor at medium settings.

They've done a proper settings article and it seems to run pretty terribly on much more capable hardware too (pre-patch). Screenshots at higher settings look a bit better but still not great at all.

Also 😐️:

The worst thing about this is that the devs are going to take all the flak while it's the come snorting execs that told respawn to focus on the PS5 version to get it out the door early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

HDR on PS5 is broken. Had to turn it off completely. Thought they were going for some fancy artistic aesthetic to make the ointro look like a comic book.

They had not.

Switched it off and it still looks amazing. Plays really well. Not that I can get near the PS5 since the 5 year old got home from school. He has been mad for it since clearing the first one over the last few weeks. He is flying through it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The statement from EA reads like it's the fault of PC users for not using the correct combination of hardware and/or OS.

TBH the game should not be released in that kind of state. But best thing now would be to pull the PC version from sale temporarily (ala Cyberpunk or Arkham Knight) as it’s clearly a ****, broken version.

Played a few hours. In terms of gameplay, it's fun so far. Playing on Jedi Master and not finding it too hard yet, though fighting one enemy and being pelted with blasters by another off-screen doesn't help. Parry window is still generous enough on Jedi Master.

Performance is very hit and miss on PS5. Some parts it's fine, some parts it's choppy, and then some parts is a f*cking sh*tshow. I'll keep playing for now but not in a mad rush to play it either just because of the performance issues. Hopefully a big patch coming soon, and that they don't just focus on the PC version since it's the worst performing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha i love how they used the phrase "performing to our standards" its the same business as usual for EA to me lol

But yeah, glad i was told this before i started the EA gamepass sub to plow through it this weekend like i did the last SWJ game, ill give it a few weeks/months..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Played the opening few hours and really enjoyed it. Traversal is great. You have the trademark respawn wall running but now you have a grapple too.

Haven't hit any issues. There was a day one patch that seems to have fixed most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Digital Foundry || Star Wars Jedi Survivor PC Review: The Worst Triple-A PC Port of 2023... So Far

I’ve seen Alex slowly losing his mind over the state of PC ports, but even then the pure fury in this one is a sight to behold 😂

I'm surprised EA still have any rights to making star wars games after the battlefront 2 mess, this is just blowing my mind, EA must have already got the sacking and it just hasnt been announced? It nuts how much careless fail is thrown around with these games..

EA doesn’t have exclusive rights to the series anymore. There’s a bunch of non EA Star Wars games on the way, including that (somewhat baffling) Quantic Dream one. But EA is still making SW games too… just not exclusively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

How is this on ps5? Think it's next on my just after I finish dead space but also eyeing up resident evil 4. I might need a break from death and jump scares though ha

Better than PC, but still not great. Even with HDR turned off to help performance, framerate is all over the place, pop-in is awful, lighting and graphics erratic.

It's fine, it's playable, but it's nowhere near the level of performance it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

Cheers I'll hold on until it's patched to a suitable level

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm playing it on 4k on PC, with every bell and whistle turned on and it runs "ok". Most of the time im over 40 fps (which is actually fine) but in the larger open areas (main outpost) it drops to high 20s and that doesn't feel quite so good ;)

Windows 11

i7-8700k

RTX3090 (running at 75% power to keep fan noise down)

In my case my limiting factor is clearly the CPU (I am slightly under the recommended cpu performance wise). It is almost constanly at 85%+ usage. I unlocked the 3090 for a while from the 75% power that I have it set to but it made no difference apart from ramping up the power usage and noise.

Probably will build a new pc later this year, the machine itself is 5 years old afterall (apart from gfx card).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Been playing on a PS5. I can’t actually play it right now. “performance” mode the frame rate tanks and makes the camera jump and i just can’t go back to 30fps for the quality mode. Feels like I’m playing in treacle.

Still putting a few hours into this. The gameplay is a lot of fun. The new stances are great, though would prefer to be able to switch between them all as needs be rather than just pick two, as there are definitely enemies where a blaster shot would save a lot of hardship, but I found the stance a bit boring when I tried it so I never have it equipped. Those same enemies, a force throw or lightsaber throw works, but if you're out of force power you're screwed too. Minor issue though.

The fast travel is fantastic compared to the issues the first game had, though actually using the map is still a pain. You open the map, see a previously locked door you can now open due to a new ability, go to a mediation point to fast travel, and now the map is in a different orientation and doesn't show openable/locked doors like the map you open when just walking around.

There are also far too many collectibles. Like, a stupid amount of collectibles. Even if it were a live service game, there'd be too many collectibles in terms of gear and different items which you can trade for items at different shops. Finding and opening chests now feels less meaningful. It's nice to have your own customised Cal, BD1, lightsaber & gun, but when you've fought a really difficult fight and find a chest and get new earieces for BD1, it's annoying.

All that being said, the combat and gameplay is still great. Some moments you feel like a true Jedi and can do amazing stuff with the saber and your abilites. Some enemies are going to smack you around like you're a little padawan b*tch. Playing on the second hardest difficulty and there are definite spikes. I don't know if enemy configuration is different or if it's just aggression/damage, but some fights are going to just be painful, especially being shot from off-screen when you finally have an opening to get one hit on a larger enemy, or having your block stance broken due to the sheer barrage of hits you're taking.

Will be interesting to see what performance is like after today's console patch. It's still hit and miss. Some areas/fights it's fine. Some it's erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What time is the patch normally pushed out, 5pm?

Have to admit, the game has its hooks well into me. Performance still crappy even after the patch, but man the gameplay is just a lot of fun. Some of the level design is dodgy, you often have to take things on blind faith that there'll be a platform or something in the direction you think you had to jump, because some traversal sections are so long and complex that you're just hitting whatever you think you won't clip through. Even then there are times when the game just f*cks you by throwing you at a slight angle for no reason making you miss your jump.

They've expanded greatly on your powers and abilities. Didn't do the thing sequels often do (which I despise) by taking away abilities you learned in the first game to make you earn them again. Pretty much everything you had in the first game is back from the start (or very quickly unlocked), so new abilities are all additions or expansions to those. The new stances are great too.

I'm enjoying exploring areas, discovering new areas when you get new abilities, puzzles etc. Once you've encountered new enemy types in the story missions, they also have a chance to start showing up in the open world areas too which keeps the challenge up.

So yeah, performance aside, I think it's a great game. Too much open-world guff in terms of different currencies for different shops, too many collectibles etc, but the challenge and gameplay of getting to those chests for the pointless collectibles is still fun enough that I don't mind it. Had some really fun boss fights and puzzles to solve last night.

• Advertisement

Did they cheap out on the level design this time around again? As in fight your way through the level and then back out the way you came?

Advertisement