Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying a PHEV

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Split out the meta discussion's on timescales as it doesn't seem much benefit to OP.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058283292/ev-delivery-timescales#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Again - thanks all for the info / advice

I have booked a Model 3 testdrive for Saturday next week (18th) so I'll see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Enjoy.

watch how to engage autopilot and get yourself onto a nice stretch of road. Don’t be afraid to put the foot down 😁

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'd give the phev a skip at this point. I sold mine in the summer. It did it's job of getting me to an EV but the only reason I bought it was I couldn't afford an EV at the time. If you have 40k then you are not in the sane boat.

The constant charging will play havoc with the already small battery. If you are doing 50km round trips daily then you will be charging 2-3 times a day. That's 600-1000 full charge cycles a year. In comparison if you get a model 3 it's more like 50-70.

Model 3 and Y are decent prices now. There are some cheaper options too. Depends on what size you want. The MG Model 4 for example is in the 28-36k range and is a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

in regard to a Tucson PHEV, looks like they have a battery size of 13.8 kwh

if one drove fairly easy, could you potentially get clsoe to 100km from the battery alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

Is that gross or net capacity? Important as the hybrid batteries tend to have large top and bottom buffers. I don't drive a Tucson but I would say 60 km on ideal conditions if it's say 10 kWh net capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My phev has a 12.8kw battery I think.

I get 50km.

ah ok. suppose I was thinking along the lines of some very efficient EV's that could potentially use 13.8 kWh per 100km

but maybe the battery in these PHEV's is used slightly differently or just not efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

The official range on EV mode is 61 km so in reality it's probably considerably less.

• Advertisement

silly q time, lets say my battery is fully charged and I drive 3km at 20 kph to get to the motorway, battery wont have gone down much and I should still have a good bit left.

I then hit the motorway and speed goes up to 120kph, will the battery just drain at this speed after about 30km or so? and then petrol engine kicks in

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

That will happen in most case. Some others have very underpowered electric motors so may require the engine to kick in to accelerate hard or even maintain motorway speed

Other phevs will have settings to run on only electric or only petrol to suit your journey.

Motorway is not the best usage case for Phevs unless you can cover your full daily commute on battery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

11 kwh

potentially yes, but do you want to spend 4 hours crawling along.

probably around 22 kwh/100km for nice and steady driving, so 50 km range

yes more than likely, any phev I had, you could switch over to engine and save the battery for slower driving, I cannot say if its the same for the Tucson.

Let me guess, the wife does not want a BEV?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I have a Golf GTE, 13kWh battery, roughly 10.5 usable. in EV mode at the moment I average roughly 30kWh/100km. That's with city driving. Looking back at stats from the summer it was ~20kWh/100km so the weather has a huge impact. Longest I have ever got out of it was 65km, lowest was about 25-30km.

I do a Cork-Dublin every 3 or 4 weeks, roughly 250km. I always leave with a full battery and drive in hybrid mode. I usually average around 5kWh/100km and a fuel consumption of 4.5-5l/100km. That's at 120km/h the whole way. Usually arrive in Dublin with 5-10km estimated range remaining.

Yeah mine is being hammered since the wet and windy weather has arrived.

A short local trip with might have used 20% is now using 30% or perhaps even 32%.

But thankfully it still suits my needs as the longest trip I do regularly, my commute, is still manageable one way on battery only.

thanks. so battery can get you between 25 and 65km

but then sounds like you can turn off EV mode completely if needed and use the electric motor as a 'help' on motorway drives for the petrol engine to help with fuel economy

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Exactly, for long distance driving beyond battery range it's usually better to just leave the car do it's thing in hybrid mode. The motor aids the engine, reducing load under acceleration, recouping energy when decelerating and even allowing it to shut off for periods where the motor alone will maintain speed.

Usually at the end of a 250km run, I've done at least 10-15% of that with the engine off. In the Summer efficiency is better obviously, a handful of runs I've gotten ~4L/100km which is pretty good for a heavy car like that.

PHEVs can suit a lot of people, but if you're spending as much on one as you would an equivalent EV you'd want to make sure it actually does suit your use case better.

An important thing to remember with phev is that for them to work out for you, you really need to charge them every night and use the full battery every day.

I suspect many owners fail to run them like this, and often don't bother charging them each night and just use them like a petrol car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

I think that was the case for the company cars - outlanders in particular but for anyone paying their own fuel, it's a no brainer to plug in daily, your pretty much saving a 5er with every battery charge.

Advertisement